• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Upgrade from 2.5" to 3"?

Hey!

At the moment I have a 2.5" custom exhaust on my EP3 and I'm wondering if it is worth upgrading to a 3" ktuned oval exhaust (used one not new) if I'm looking for the most power as possible?
If I upgrade about how much hp would I gain?

The setup I will be running: RBC inlet manifold, dc sports exhaust manifold, Injen cai & Kpro V4 and possibly E85 conversion.

Thanks in advance!

I'd recommend a 3" solid fabrications system on mine, with same inlet, same exhaust manifold as you and it made 270.1bhp.

Try and stay away from the "scene" Jap brands as you're more often paying for the name.

I'd recommend a 3" solid fabrications system on mine, with same inlet, same exhaust manifold as you and it made 270.1bhp.

Try and stay away from the "scene" Jap brands as you're more often paying for the name.

I've heard of Solid Fabrications before and I checked on their site and the cheapest exhaust for EP3 is £530, don't feel like spending that much unfortunately. I've seen ktuned 3" system for £300-£350 used which I think is a fair price.

If I find a used Solid Fabrications system then it will definitely be an alternative :)

You’ll gain about 5 bhp. Don’t believe some of the numbers being thrown around on the internet.

You’ll gain about 5 bhp. Don’t believe some of the numbers being thrown around on the internet.

Will there be noticeable gain if I upgrade to a Skunk2 megapower r which is 2.75 inch? Seems to be kinda hard to finding a used 3 inch... :(

Much better things to spend that money on. What other mods does your car have?

I didn't know that the OEM cat had been welded on the current exhaust and exhaust manifold so I've ordered a Solid Fab 3" exhaust. Will also be getting a K tuned exhaust manifold combined with a race cat to pass MOT.

So the car have/will have: 3" solid fab exhaust, k tuned exhaust manifold with a race cat, RBC intake manifold, Injen CAI, Hondata Kpro V4. On the outside I only have a carbon Mugen spoiler, carbon Mugen grill and Evo 8 wheels.
Other than that the car is completely stock :)

That’s a good combination of parts. I too am interested in the K-Tuned, PLM or Skunk2 Tri-Y style manifolds. How will you be running a cat? Welded in with the exhaust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a good combination of parts. I too am interested in the K-Tuned, PLM or Skunk2 Tri-Y style manifolds. How will you be running a cat? Welded in with the exhaust?

As far as Im aware the K-tuned gives more power than the PLM. The PLM is a copy of the K-tuned one so its cheaper. It all depends on your budget. I would not consider the Skunk2, better manifolds out there.

K-tuned is selling a cat that replaces the test pipe on the exhaust manifold. But its really expensive. Think it cost around £475.

So I will be getting a cat and weld it in to the test pipe so instead of being a straight pipe it will have a cat. Just like the one k-tuned sells :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh the PLM are a copy. I believe HyTech made the first Tri-Y, then Kidd Racing who PLM copied. Which means K-Tuned has copied someone too! Unless their design is unique.

I’m tempted by the sports cat option

Yeh the PLM are a copy. I believe HyTech made the first Tri-Y, then Kidd Racing who PLM copied. Which means K-Tuned has copied someone too! Unless their design is unique.

I’m tempted by the sports cat option

Yeah, probably. They all look the same haha :)

I'm definitely fitting a cat to my manifold. Can't be bothered to change manifold once a year for MOT to be honest so much easier with a cat and it doesn't affect flow too much.

New here -not sure where to post but looking for advice on FN2 Exhaust upgrade please:
So far I narrowed it down to:
Tegiwa 70mm Cat Back (approx £500)
Militek non res cat back (approx £600)
Custom Stainless (quoted £450)

I dont want anything too loud, just a minor performance boost. I expect the custom one to be too loud
I just ordered an HKS Induction kit if that helps.

Appreciate any advice - thanks!

I had the milltek non res and it's quite loud. Sounds great though. The induction kit will be louder :D

The only performance boost you'll gain from an exhaust change is a placebo one.

Yes I thought it would be minimal, although Tegiwa says you will get 8-10hp.

Can you really not get anything from an exhaust? I thought it would improve the breathing (after re-mapping)

Yes I thought it would be minimal, although Tegiwa says you will get 8-10hp.

Can you really not get anything from an exhaust? I thought it would improve the breathing (after re-mapping)

You'll get something, that 8-10 bhp figure is likely pre/post mapped. The main restriction in the exhaust is the cat, until that is gone you're not going to gain anything which you'll notice.

Back