• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 FK8 as a Daily (High Mileage) Driver??

Hey guys, new post so be kind ;)

Buying a 68 plate FK8 on Friday. Insurance is crazy high, price is crazy high... but I know it's going to be worth it.

Just wondering if anyone uses the beautiful FK8 for their daily drive? I'm going to be doing probably about 20,000 miles a year. Wondering whether the Type R will be okay for it or if lots of problems/high running costs will be an issue?

Also been reading that the tyres don't last long! That will become expensive for me. Haha. :p

I've been using my 18 plate FK8 as a daily for 18 months.
Perfectly doable.
Comfort setting is excellent for A-roads. I did a 600 mile round trip in May which was no bother. It's the only time I've used the lane keep assist and it worked great. Unsettling but impressive when it navigated long sweepers on the A66.

I'm 18,000 miles in and it still impresses.
Don't fret about tyres, the wear isn't nearly as bad as you read on forums. I have a full set of FK2 wheels which I've used during the worst weather - wearing winter Conti tyres. I've only this month had to replace my front tyres, which isn't shabby for 18000 miles (apart from a puncture one month into ownership) of spirited driving at every opportunity.

And I have a 5yr service plan so running costs are amazingly low. Check whether your car has this already - you might be pleasantly surprised
:)

Enjoy it.
N.

I don't use mine as a daily but find it perfect for all weathers except snow. Tyre wear is terrible on standard Contis, wear will obviously be less cruising, but used enthusiastically then don't expect much from them, all 4 of mine done in 8k mileage, but then I only really use mine for fun.

I would fit smaller wheels with a higher sidewall, I'm sure that will help as the other issue is potholes, the wheels are very susceptible to being dented, two so far in 18 months.

Mine's a daily and it's perfect for it. I do a 60 mile a day commute 3 times a week, so not massive but long enough and to be honest I whack it in r+, remus in loudest and it's a perfect cruiser then, let alone sport. Comfort way too soft for me. Can get high 30's on the cruise and tyres will depend on roads and style

Do it without any concern, don't forget it's a civic underneath as well, designed for the daily grind

Sounds like you’re stretching for the car and insurance, so I wouldn’t advise buying it and doing 20k a year. But you’re going to do it anyway regardless of what people say to you.

One of the few benefits of getting older: car insurance. Just paid £304 for my Focus RS, when the Type R arrives in 2 weeks I will get a £45 refund so £259.
This car will be a daily for us so maybe 10,000 a year.
New wheels arrive today & will be fitted as soon as car reaches dealer.

You will be replacing front tyres between 8k and 15k depending on driving style, so add that to your running costs (when I replaced mine they were £190 a pop for MPS4S's). If the car has a service plan you won't have to pay for oil change and the sort, but I think it's not that expensive. Rear brake pads go fast if you drive the car hard (mine where almost done when I sold the car at 16k miles, no track, just b-road fun).

YOLO -- great purchase. also factor the extra cost of Super Unleaded as well. not sure what your current commuter is but fuel costs are also a factor esp. as the car has a smaller fuel tank so inevitably you'll be stopping a bit more often for a Ginsters and Costa :)

good news is it's only £145 in road tax for such a weapon.

It's a great motorway cruiser - I get over >45mpg average if sticking to 70mph.

The 245/35/20 tyre size is a little cheaper, which will give you a little more sidewall and could be an option once they need replacing.

Sounds like you’re stretching for the car and insurance, so I wouldn’t advise buying it and doing 20k a year. But you’re going to do it anyway regardless of what people say to you.

To be honest, im only 20 years old. I knew insurance was going to be high. Im not moving out anytime soon. So yes, I am stretching my budget, however, all I ever talk/think about is cars! Ive dreamt of it ever since it came out. About 60% of my monthly salary will be going on the car. Maybe im just a crazy woman ;)

Wow..!!! When I was 20 I was rocking a 101 BHP Rallye 106 and I thought I was the nuts! Be careful, don't drive like I did...!

Im moving from a 113 bhp Honda CRZ so yes it is a crazy crazy decision I know haha. Sometimes I can be a girl racer so im going to have to reel myself in or ill wrap it round a lamp post haha

YOLO -- great purchase. also factor the extra cost of Super Unleaded as well. not sure what your current commuter is but fuel costs are also a factor esp. as the car has a smaller fuel tank so inevitably you'll be stopping a bit more often for a Ginsters and Costa :)

good news is it's only £145 in road tax for such a weapon.

Is super unleaded optional or a must? Obviously, I want to use whats best. Just curious :)

I've been using my 18 plate FK8 as a daily for 18 months.
Perfectly doable.
Comfort setting is excellent for A-roads. I did a 600 mile round trip in May which was no bother. It's the only time I've used the lane keep assist and it worked great. Unsettling but impressive when it navigated long sweepers on the A66.

I'm 18,000 miles in and it still impresses.
Don't fret about tyres, the wear isn't nearly as bad as you read on forums. I have a full set of FK2 wheels which I've used during the worst weather - wearing winter Conti tyres. I've only this month had to replace my front tyres, which isn't shabby for 18000 miles (apart from a puncture one month into ownership) of spirited driving at every opportunity.

And I have a 5yr service plan so running costs are amazingly low. Check whether your car has this already - you might be pleasantly surprised
:)

Enjoy it.
N.

have you changed the alloys on yours then? Im having real trouble finding any winter tires for it!
Yes the one im buying comes with a 5 year service plan THANK GOD!

Good to know someone else uses it as a daily driver, makes me feel better about it. Although, I am considering buying an old banger aswell for the brunt of commuting haha

To be honest, im only 20 years old. I knew insurance was going to be high. Im not moving out anytime soon. So yes, I am stretching my budget, however, all I ever talk/think about is cars! Ive dreamt of it ever since it came out. About 60% of my monthly salary will be going on the car. Maybe im just a crazy woman ;)

Well, I am clapping this end at your dedication to cars while my old head is saying...you're nuts..!! I remember whacking my new EP3 on credit in 2004 instead of saving for my own gaff so a few more years were spent at home - would I change it looking back - hell no.

Just be careful though, these things are deceptively rapid, both for your license and life..!!

Well, I am clapping this end at your dedication to cars while my old head is saying...you're nuts..!! I remember whacking my new EP3 on credit in 2004 instead of saving for my own gaff so a few more years were spent at home - would I change it looking back - hell no.

Just be careful though, these things are deceptively rapid, both for your license and life..!!

My philosophy... You will always be remembered for having an amazing car, not an amazing house ;) the memories you make on the road outweigh everything else for me. Nothing beats a curvy B road while the sun is setting. Beautiful ;)

And once my FK8 is vinyl wrapped (Colour changing chrome ;) ) itll be even more of a stunner

I don't use mine as a daily but find it perfect for all weathers except snow. Tyre wear is terrible on standard Contis, wear will obviously be less cruising, but used enthusiastically then don't expect much from them, all 4 of mine done in 8k mileage, but then I only really use mine for fun.

I would fit smaller wheels with a higher sidewall, I'm sure that will help as the other issue is potholes, the wheels are very susceptible to being dented, two so far in 18 months.

I couldn't deal with smaller wheels. It would ruin it !!!

Is super unleaded optional or a must? Obviously, I want to use whats best. Just curious :)

yep, filler cap says fill with 98 RON minimum. I'd only splash and dash normal unleaded if the garage had nothing else and I'm on vapours. I'd then stop at the next garage I can that sold Super and brim-it-up. :smt023

Back