• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Battery

The stock battery is something like 48ah and 420cca or thereabouts. My ep3 currently has a battery with 45ah and 330cca. I'm looking at a 40ah Varta battery with 330cca to replace mine. It's slightly smaller in size which is a good thing, would the 40ah cause any issues? As far as I'm aware it's more to do with amp hours and leaving lights and stereos on with the engine off. Something I don't do anyway. The car is used almost every day.

The more fun part is how many people buy with the terminals the wrong way around (+ve at top right instead of top left) which means people rotate the battery and have the terminals uncomfortably close to various bits and pieces and a risk of fire.

Have a look for an "Odyssey 680" battery, you can get them with all sorts of neat alloy cradles as well.

You'll save a good few kilograms in weight there, right where you don't want weight (front end!)

Can you run that Odyssey battery in the OEM location with the OEM tie down or do you need to buy a cage as well to fit it?

I wouldn't advise the odyssey one for a road car. Mine lasts 4 weeks at a push and only just starts it. I've got a little jump pack thing in the car as well as I just don't trust it. Considering a solar trickle charger to try and help it when I don't use the car much, but not sure if they're any good really.

You can buy the terminal adapters that bolt onto the battery, which is was I run. I've removed my tray and bolted the new smaller cage to the chassis leg, the cables just about fit without any modification.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

Not that I know of. It would only be the difference of a few litres of fuel though! I wouldn't get caught up on it.

I've got a 2 year old battery off of mine which you can have if it's any use to you?

Can you run that Odyssey battery in the OEM location with the OEM tie down or do you need to buy a cage as well to fit it?

I bought a cage for mine and ran it in the boot for better weight distribution.

Net result is 12kg weight loss on the front end.

How much does the additional wiring weigh though? Seemed like a false economy to me. I just fitted mine a lot lower down on the chassis rail. Plus still easy to jump start when it goes flat as I'd generally reverse park and leave access to the front end.

Back