• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Winter tyres

I know this seems to have been mentioned many times so I'm sorry haha, but I can't seem to see the answer I'm looking for...

So my FK8 has the ultra summery conti's on it and as you will know, the british winter/rain season is fast approaching!

I've been looking to find a good winter tyre to use or an all season with a good wet rating and finding it confusing and a bit annoying.

I'm pretty sure the size is 245/30 20.. right? I DON'T want to change the alloys by the way.
I've found online the Continental WinterContact TS 830 P tyres which are in the above size. Anyone used these??

Or any alternatives?? WITHOUT getting smaller alloys.

Cheers x

Hello again.
That's the winters I'm using on my FK8, but on 19" FK2 wheels. They're good tyres.

Each to their own re wheel size, but ever since I discovered it was the same price for wheels & tyres by coming down a size (on my Saab Turbo X many years ago) versus trying to find just winter tyres for the standard wheel size, it's been a no brainer for me. Even without factoring in the convenience of a quick wheel swap.

Each to their own, I guess. If you change your mind, www.oponeo.co.uk do winter wheel and tyre options. Either way, their tyre prices are usually very competitive so give them a try for whatever you decide to go for.

Neil.

Hello again.
That's the winters I'm using on my FK8, but on 19" FK2 wheels. They're good tyres.

Each to their own re wheel size, but ever since I discovered it was the same price for wheels & tyres by coming down a size (on my Saab Turbo X many years ago) versus trying to find just winter tyres for the standard wheel size, it's been a no brainer for me. Even without factoring in the convenience of a quick wheel swap.

Each to their own, I guess. If you change your mind, www.oponeo.co.uk do winter wheel and tyre options. Either way, their tyre prices are usually very competitive so give them a try for whatever you decide to go for.

Neil.

Forgive me. I'm not used to tyre talk haha. So even though you've got 19" FK2 wheels... they will still fit the FK8 wheels? I know I sound like such a dumbass but please speak to me like I'm a 5 year old haha

No probs.

I have 19" FK2 wheels, fitted with the 19" version of the conti winter tyres you referred to above.
The FK2 wheels fit an FK8, providing adequate clearance for the FK8s brakes. In fact, I seem to recall these exact wheels were listed in the original FK8 accessories brochure for winter use.

For the avoidance of doubt, I wouldn't recommend fitting 20" tyres to a 19" wheel!

I hope that helps clarify but drop me a note if not.

N.

If I had an FK8 as a daily and had a need to drive in challenging winter conditions I would 100% fit a smaller wheel, not only due to cost but to get high wall tyre too to prevent pot hole damage. Incidentally I ran my Contis through Scotland in very cold conditions 0 to -7c and they were fine, but snow absolutely useless, I did have snow socks just in case.

I've done two winters on the standard conti's as a daily and I have found the grip levels to be ok. Yes, if you give it the beans it's poor, but just regulate the throttle. The biggest thing though, and the reason I may swap out this winter, is the pot holes. They pop up (or down?!) quickly and I have bent two alloys.

If I had an FK8 as a daily and had a need to drive in challenging winter conditions I would 100% fit a smaller wheel, not only due to cost but to get high wall tyre too to prevent pot hole damage. Incidentally I ran my Contis through Scotland in very cold conditions 0 to -7c and they were fine, but snow absolutely useless, I did have snow socks just in case.

Oh i live in the UK. It rarely snows here, plus if it does i will NOT be driving 40 miles to work in it on country roads!! Hahah. Its more wet and raining conditions im worried about.

I've done two winters on the standard conti's as a daily and I have found the grip levels to be ok. Yes, if you give it the beans its poor, but just regulate the throttle. The biggest thing though, and the reason I may swap out this winter, is the pot holes. They pop up (or down?!) quickly and I have bent two alloys.

Oh damn thats really bad. They must have been mega pot holes to bend your alloys!! Thats crazy!!!

Oh damn thats really bad. They must have been mega pot holes to bend your alloys!! Thats crazy!!!

Yeah they were larger than your average, but other cars with smaller wheels and larger tyre walls would have been fine. The 20" with the rubber bands tyres are very vulnerable...

Yeah they were larger than your average, but other cars with smaller wheels and larger tyre walls would have been fine. The 20" with the rubber bands tyres are very vulnerable...

Why did they put such large wheels with skinny tyres on as standard for UK road users if this happens?! �� makes you wonder why they didnt give you the option to change them...

I'll be getting smaller wheels after I've moved. The roads around me are littered with potholes and once the rain comes you don't even know they're there, until you've hit one. Also, cheaper tyres are a plus :D

Oh i live in the UK. It rarely snows here, plus if it does i will NOT be driving 40 miles to work in it on country roads!! Hahah. Its more wet and raining conditions im worried about.

In my opinion they are great in the wet, no issues with them and would not waste money on winters, just keep a close eye on tyre wear.

Personally, if you have the option to just not drive if it snows, i wouldn't worry about winter tyres. Totally agree with the comments around fitting 19's for the pot hole protection though.

Don't get me wrong, i'm a huge advocate of winter tyres (x-drive BMW) and we have them on the wife's car, but i steal that (as she doesn't work) if it snows. They are amazing on snow - seriously it is like driving on a wet road when all around you are sliding around - and they do have benefits in the cold below 7 degrees too. You just have to weigh up whether you really need them or want to spend the money. If money is no object its a no-brainer.

As an example, a friend has a 911 and a Cayenne and in snow the 911 of winter tyres is way safer and easier to drive than the Cayenne on summer tyres. Check out the Auto Express video of them driving 2wd and 4wd cars up a ski slope with the different tyres too!!

Two things I think 1) Looks, we've got so much going on a big wheel is needed to fill the arches and 2) performance - some people have found that dropping down has taken away that turn in sharpness - purely subjective of course.

i'm going through this exact reason as to NOT go winter tyres when i need replacements. i'm very likely going for some sort of all seasons which all seem to be able to handle temps down to -7 to -10c which is about as extreme as we get it.
winters noticeably fall off performance after ambient gets over 7-10c, which we usually get warmer periods through uk winters.

i'm currently on bridgestone LM32 and Nokian WR-A3 (i think!) and find them both lacking on those dryer warmer winter days when you can enjoy the car a bit.

As an example, a friend has a 911 and a Cayenne and in snow the 911 of winter tyres is way safer and easier to drive than the Cayenne on summer tyres. Check out the Auto Express video of them driving 2wd and 4wd cars up a ski slope with the different tyres too!!

if that the video i think it is, thats whats making me consider all seasons. it's all well and good on an empty ski slope, but throw yourself into (for my commuting journey at least) city streets at rush hour with everyone else running summers, then you aint going no where.

i'm going through this exact reason as to NOT go winter tyres when i need replacements. i'm very likely going for some sort of all seasons which all seem to be able to handle temps down to -7 to -10c which is about as extreme as we get it.
winters noticeably fall off performance after ambient gets over 7-10c, which we usually get warmer periods through uk winters.

i'm currently on bridgestone LM32 and Nokian WR-A3 (i think!) and find them both lacking on those dryer warmer winter days when you can enjoy the car a bit.

you have a mix of tyres on at one time?

You got any links to some all season tyres?? The tread on the FK8 i have now is very near illegal limit i think. They definitely need replacing. Ive been looking at the Michelin Pilot Sports as well... they good in wet?

Personally, if you have the option to just not drive if it snows, i wouldn't worry about winter tyres. Totally agree with the comments around fitting 19's for the pot hole protection though.

Don't get me wrong, i'm a huge advocate of winter tyres (x-drive BMW) and we have them on the wife's car, but i steal that (as she doesn't work) if it snows. They are amazing on snow - seriously it is like driving on a wet road when all around you are sliding around - and they do have benefits in the cold below 7 degrees too. You just have to weigh up whether you really need them or want to spend the money. If money is no object its a no-brainer.

Yes well seeing as my work commute is going to be an 80 mile round journey everyday, and on some very bendy country roads... i wouldnt want to risk driving any car at all. Maybe i should look for some all seasons... itd be nice to find something good in the wet but also good on dry days. Im going to try with the 20" wheels for now unless something drastic happens then i doubt ill be changing them

Back