• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Corroded OEM wheel nuts and alternative options?

So wheel nuts....how do other peoples look? Ours started to corrode within months and at just short of 2yrs old and c13k miles they look pretty tatty.

Honda are refusing to accept a warranty claim...saying they have been damaged by cleaning products or stone chips

Anyone else's this bad? Anyone tried alternatives and are they more resilient to corrosion? Anyone had them successfully replaced by Honda under warranty?
3def0c0bc5f32b30a6a92a2bb14913e6.jpg
434ef49156c7cd5cc5420b8c1dfe665d.jpg
91207c5e6f1599e92e5863e6065a79f2.jpg
0dba758a1bd42b8ea468acd503379b8b.jpg
c7a564fb99c97a7156a769dfa03ad45c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Honda are refusing to accept a warranty claim...saying they have been damaged by cleaning products or stone chips

Haha. Jokers.

I’m sure many owners have have these changed Foc as they are clearly not fit for purpose.

I’m sure Allycooke has his changed foc. Mind you he was getting his gearbox dismantled at the same time ....

Mine are starting to show signs... 6 months and 4k miles.

Black edition wheel nuts? Presumably they've got some sort of coating on them so would be more resistant to corrosion.

£180 though :smt078

Got mine replaced after 6 months iirc, 12 months on they look the same, I have cleaned them up and they look fine now so perhaps just remove and clean.

Yeah mine are starting to go now, not as bad as that but won't be long. Will try giving them a clean up or get them replaced when I have to get the chassis rust sorted...

yeah, mine got replaced with a set of black nuts compliments of Honda after all the "issues" and the black nuts were then swapped to the new honda when the old one was bought back. I'll check the condition as they've been on now for 14 months but I would say the locking nut does look a bit manky but I can't recall seeing any orange (oxidisation) going on............yet. :lol:

Humm... Black ones would look nice, but £180 :eek:

I think it will have to wait till after the cost of the first tyre change. I'm still to be convinced by the 20" wheels and what to do when the original tyres wear out. The difference in price of 2 sets of 18" vs 20" tyres pays for the 18" alloys...

Just be careful with the offset and widths if you do decide to go with 18 inch wheels. It's pretty easy to spoil Honda's engineering work and end up with much more torque steer, just from a wheel change!

I know the FK2 19 inch wheels have a pretty much identical offset and width.

Just be careful with the offset and widths if you do decide to go with 18 inch wheels. It's pretty easy to spoil Honda's engineering work and end up with much more torque steer, just from a wheel change!

I know the FK2 19 inch wheels have a pretty much identical offset and width.

humm interesting. I have the OEM 18" winter setup and was considering buying another set of the alloys or just changing tyres to try. TBH on the road i find it is a nicer car to drive on the 18" winters, quieter, much better ride, ultimate grip is clearly lower but the transition between grip and traction loss is much wider with winters which makes for less traction control intervention and more movement. I used to love my previous 335d on winters. Limit of grip was far safer to exploit on the road and it was more forgiving and safer.

Bit of a thread revival sorry but I’ve already noticed a slight orange hue to one of the rear wheel nuts on mine and it’s only been on the road 2 weeks. This is only going to get worse so wanted to check up on what everyone else is doing?

Are the black wheel nuts generally the preferred solution? For those that have them, how are they holding up?

I’ve noticed both wheel nuts and the locking items corrode so have people replaced the locking ones with black items as well?

Guessing I’ll have to wait until they get worse for a warranty claim but may get the mention in nice and early.

I had something like these on my FN2, will they fit an FK? - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/382230470903

Other question I had related to comments above was: How are people getting on with winter wheels? Any preferred options?

Based on the above I was thinking FK2 19s might be the best option but interested to hear people’s thoughts on their preferred 18s and if they’ve favoured a particular offset based on the above article.

Options for correct offset seemed non existent on 18s last time I looked

Last edited by a moderator:
I have got through 3 winters just fine on the OEM 20" so personally don't think a winter setup is needed, and yes I am in the tropical south but that has been through snow and ice and a daily driver. Wheels asthetics have got a kicking though with the salt etc but I wouldn't bother with winter wheels personally.

Mines a third car, live in Penrith but never had an issue in the recent winters, I keep snow socks in the boot if ever I needed them.

I had my car including Wheels & nuts Ceramic coated from new, only six months in but they still look perfect.

That’s a really good shout Boostfan. I have some carbon collective platinum wheels sat here waiting for a nice dry weekend (hopefully this one!)

Obvious now you mention it. Will dip my nuts too! :lol:

Going to coat the calipers too

Yep definitely do the callipers too. The wheels are so much easier to keep clean I just spray all over with Bilberry wheel cleaner leave for 5 minutes then Power Wash off. Job done.

My detailer used GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra on the car, not sure what he put on the wheels, nuts & callipers but it was from the same range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back