• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Paint cracking & rust rear quarters

Here are the cracks/ rusting I have mentioned . Check yours, it's a warranty claim, but car could be gone a while...:(

It's where the roof meets the sides meets the boot

FnKTIgv.jpg

Close up of each side

Peo9akH.jpg

X8irQM8.jpg

I hope it's just the paint cracking...

I'd be asking for a pic of the bare metal. Any signs of cracking I'd be wanting an NDT report.

Yours is an early one? I remember looking at this in the US forums and checked mine, the seams are different. Didn't take a picture before selling so I can't show you.

Anyone with a 67+ plate car that can take a picture of that area?

I'd be asking for a pic of the bare metal. Any signs of cracking I'd be wanting an NDT report.

I think it flexing of the cabin + non-flexible filler in the seam under the paint. Mine was very rubbery when I touched/checked/molested it :lol:

Thanks both, it's a Sept 17 model on a 67 plate, one of the first. So you think they changed the joins then?

Hazz, so they take it down to the metal then send me a pic, then do some testing (what I just got from google!)? Ah man..I am gonna be in a jazz for ages...

Yea, They should be using a chemical stripper to remove the paint and leave the surface in a non-abraded condition which will show up any signs of crack propagation on the surface. Abrading the paint will likely hide any signs of cracking unless the crack is particularly bad.

If it's due to flex in the shell they'll just tart it up with some white paint & recommend you only use "Comfort Mode" in the future :lol:

Oh & don't be using any of that corrosive pre-wash on the Jazz loaner :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I reckon my Mugen 200 looked similar to that after having it a few years :-k

Excuse my taking the pi$$...but I know you have a good sense of humour & can handle it =D>

Hope you get it sorted soon :smt023

20190901-101017.jpg

20190901-101025.jpg

Yeah - I noticed this the other week on mine...was thinking to just clean it and touch it up with my paint chip pen

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder when Honda found out about this... mine is a Nov 18 build and has a small strip welded on that seam.

Had a look earlier and my 2019 also has these small strips. I'm sure I've seen cars in the US with these strips also cracking though! How are yours both holding up?

Had a look earlier and my 2019 also has these small strips. I'm sure I've seen cars in the US with these strips also cracking though! How are yours both holding up?
They seem to be OK but now I know of the potential rust/cracking problem I will be keeping a close eye on it.

Just checked mine, a July 2018 model, and it’s got large plates fitted over the whole area. If I remember tomorrow, I’ll take a phot or two.

as Honda have not done a recall on this, hoping its not structural...welded plate seems they have taken it seriously though!!

Back