• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Gearbox oil in FN2 (LSD)

I see a lot questions about what oil in Honda MT gearbox and a lot of different answer. My FN2 has LSD and I have tried 3 different oil in it and the LSD feels different with these oil.

Some people says 5w30 or 10w40 engine oil will be fine and the Honda dealer which used by the previous owner of my car did use 5w30 engine oil according the record (was surprised when I see 5w30 as gearbox oil change). But I remember the manual says MTF3 oil should be used in gearbox and you can use engine oil at emergency situation (correct me if I remember it wrong). So since I had the car (about 1 months ago) it had 5w30 engine oil in it for about a few thousands mile, gear shifting feels okay. When I get into tight corner it feels understeer with no throttle or small throttle, if I press the throttle down and give it a little bit more steering input when getting out of corner the LSD start to pull the nose in rudely and oversteer (tail move out quick). It was fun but it was hard to find the point as it comes with different throttle input at different speed and I think this suddenly change sometimes might be dangerous.

As I had some Amsoil 75w90 for a while, so I decided to tried it. I know it should be 75w80 but I found some people saying w90 is fine when I did the search. I put 1 liter 75w90 in it and let it mix with engine oil as the 75w90 oil is too thick (almost twice thicker than 75w80). It was fine at the beginning and I ran it about 200mil. I found the gear shifting was sometimes a bit harder than engine oil especially when hot but okay when cool. The LSD doesn't lock but I didn't try very hard, I guess it was too thick and affects the LSD. So I change it to MTF3 immediately after that.

Back to MTF3, gear shifting no much difference to engine oil but with a bit more feeling of sync/gear. The LSD works smoother than engine oil as it locks once I put throttle down. Not sure if this is correct feeling but I think the way LSD work tell something about the oil. For me I will prefer the MTF3 oil although the engine oil gives more fun. Anyone has more experience about which gearbox oil to use or know which way the LSD should work (like the engine oil or MTF3)?

Simple awnser here...
Engine Oil goes in the engine and MTF3 gearbox Oil for the Gearbox.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Simple awnser here...
Engine Oil goes in the engine and MTF3 gearbox Oil for the Gearbox.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes, I think they make MTF3 oil for a reason. But Honda dealer put engine oil in gearbox, which is odd and makes me concerning whether it will damage the gearbox as the previous owner done a few thousands mil with it.

Use MTF3 only in the gearbox.

Yes, Thanks for answering. But Honda dealer put engine oil in gearbox, which is odd and makes me concerning whether it has damage the gearbox as the previous owner done a few thousands mil with it.

Are you 100% sure you are reading the service record correctly? Perhaps they did oil and filter change AND changed the transmission fluid? Seems odd that anyone would put 5w30 in the transmission.

Yes, I think they make MTF3 oil for a reason. But Honda dealer put engine oil in gearbox, which is odd and makes me concerning whether it will damage the gearbox as the previous owner done a few thousands mil with it.

Even if they did, which I would doubt, as long as it's now running fine with MTF3 I really wouldn't worry about it.

Are you 100% sure you are reading the service record correctly? Perhaps they did oil and filter change AND changed the transmission fluid? Seems odd that anyone would put 5w30 in the transmission.

It says 5w30 morris oil for engine and then another 5w30 for trans...and the oil was green when I drain them out, the MTF3 should be brown.

It says 5w30 morris oil for engine and then another 5w30 for trans...and the oil was green when I drain them out, the MTF3 should be brown.

The MTF3 is a 75w/80w viscosity, can be a bit notchy on cold mornings but is actually quite decent

I'd bet they just typed the wrong viscosity for the gear oil they used. Obviously not the correct stuff, some gearboxes really aren't fussy. Others are very particular on the oil specs.

I'd be happy you've got the correct oil. If you're still concerned or any issues arise, I'd try changing it again and drain into a clean tub to see if there's any signs of wear or excessive metallic particles in it.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

Back