• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 FN2 knocking noise from the rear

Morning everyone, my fn2 has a clunky sound which sounds like it's coming from the rear. The closest noise I can describe it to would be if you leave the boot slightly open and you get the noise when going over bumps. Any ideas, going to take it for an inspection soon butility wondered if there are any know issues. Cars done 47k 10 plate. Cheers everyone good day to all.

Have you checked the Jack and tools in the left hand pocket in the boot and the can of tyre sealant and compressor in the right hand one? They can both be loose and rattle about.

The parcel shelf can also rattle which can be solved by sticking some felt lined tape along the contact edges.

Could be the exhaust knocking on the underside or the diffuser triangles. Check for clearance and the condition of the hangars.

There are no drop links on the rear, though it is possible your shocks could be going and be noisy but the common issue is creaks not clunks.

Check the exhaust tail pipes are centred in the triangles, mine shifted causing a knocking.

Does it go away once you have driven for a few seconds or is it there all the time?

I know this is an ancient topic now, but I had a knocking sound coming from the rear (sounded like it was coming from over my shoulder on the passenger side) last year, and it turned out that one of the corners of the exhaust heatshield had completely rotted away, taking the bolt/fixing with it. The shield ended up flapping about underneath and knocking randomly.

Maybe I've just been unlucky but I really don't rate the factory rust protection on the FN2 as I noticed a lot of surface corrosion underneath when diagnosing the heatshield issue. It's one of the biggest reasons that I will be getting shot once lockdown is over, before the rust becomes something more sinister in a few years time.

Back