Home
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: FK2 buying advice

  1. #1
    David__H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default FK2 buying advice

    Hello folks,

    I've been looking for a replacement for my 2007 Impreza WRX STi, running 350 bhp, with a lot of other mods besides. Loved her to bits, but she's now rather old for a daily runner, hence my decision to find a new car. It's a hard task to find something that will deliver that level of practicality and performance and be affordable and reliable!!

    I've looked at the BMW M240i (can't afford an M2!), the A45 AMG and the Civic Type R. The BMW was certainly very rapid, but failed to push any buttons for me.....too much a car for the masses not the enthusiast. The AMG was lovely, but I wanted the later model which includes adaptive dampers, shorter gear ratios and more power. That means shelling out 30 grand, which is a lot for a 2nd hand hatchback. It also means an auto box and for me, changing gear is an art I love. Nevertheless, I thought I'd get an AMG....that is until I drove this:

    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...e=HONDA&page=3

    Honestly, I don't think I've ever driven a car as alive as this on the road. I had reservations about the power output and FWD, but it seemed to handle it okay, although you do need to hang onto the wheel when you floor it! But that was all part of the fun. I looked through the service history. Honda are honouring a warranty on it until 2021, but it seems that it had a gearbox repair (2nd gear) last year that they didn't cover. I did wonder if that's to be expected with the engine mods.

    Having looked round the car, it looks extremely tidy. I'm going back for a second, more detailed look round it. Can anyone advise if there anything I should specifically check? I can't find any 2nd hand FK2 Type R buying advice on the web.

    Thanks so much.

    David

  2. #2
    D3ano's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    174
    Thanked 47 Times in 23 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David__H View Post
    Hello folks,

    I've been looking for a replacement for my 2007 Impreza WRX STi, running 350 bhp, with a lot of other mods besides. Loved her to bits, but she's now rather old for a daily runner, hence my decision to find a new car. It's a hard task to find something that will deliver that level of practicality and performance and be affordable and reliable!!

    I've looked at the BMW M240i (can't afford an M2!), the A45 AMG and the Civic Type R. The BMW was certainly very rapid, but failed to push any buttons for me.....too much a car for the masses not the enthusiast. The AMG was lovely, but I wanted the later model which includes adaptive dampers, shorter gear ratios and more power. That means shelling out 30 grand, which is a lot for a 2nd hand hatchback. It also means an auto box and for me, changing gear is an art I love. Nevertheless, I thought I'd get an AMG....that is until I drove this:

    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...e=HONDA&page=3

    Honestly, I don't think I've ever driven a car as alive as this on the road. I had reservations about the power output and FWD, but it seemed to handle it okay, although you do need to hang onto the wheel when you floor it! But that was all part of the fun. I looked through the service history. Honda are honouring a warranty on it until 2021, but it seems that it had a gearbox repair (2nd gear) last year that they didn't cover. I did wonder if that's to be expected with the engine mods.

    Having looked round the car, it looks extremely tidy. I'm going back for a second, more detailed look round it. Can anyone advise if there anything I should specifically check? I can't find any 2nd hand FK2 Type R buying advice on the web.

    Thanks so much.

    David
    Iíd say look for bubbling under the paint of the wheels, very common issue, and water in the rear wing, open the boot up and give it a shake youíll hear it slosh around as it can get in but canít escape.

    In regards to the gearbox thereís plenty modified examples about (with more power than this one) which havenít had issues, itís hit and miss and in a large part down to treating it with a little respect, letting it warm up correctly not hammering it in gear if you get a little resistance and so on, others may disagree but Iíve owned mine over a year now and regularly scour owners forums and Iíd say the large majority of gearbox issues Iíve heard of can be attributed to a rougher life. Take it out for a proper drive and get a real feel for the gears and youíll soon have an idea if it doesnít feel right otherwise there isnít too much else maybe check itís boosting correctly (hold the top left button on the steering wheel on the g-meter menu to bring up the boost gauge in hard acceleration it should be at 1.2-1.4 bar) there was a wiring issue at one time which would cause a snap and the cars wouldnít boost fully but I would assume that this one will be fine as it wouldnít run right and itíd be very noticeable.

    Otherwise theyíre spot on cars, I donít drive mine a whole lot as I have a work van but it puts a smile on my face every single time I take it out!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    jimbodeeni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,642
    Thanked 924 Times in 659 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David__H View Post
    Hello folks,

    I've been looking for a replacement for my 2007 Impreza WRX STi, running 350 bhp,
    David
    My X reg sti gets used daily at 350bhp

    Wouldn't mind an fk2 though.

    My mate had the A45 get boring very quickly
    Last edited by jimbodeeni; 16-09-2019 at 01:08 PM.

  4. #4
    David__H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbodeeni View Post
    My X reg sti gets used daily at 350bhp

    Wouldn't mind an fk2 though.

    My mate had the A45 get boring very quickly
    The A45 was mighty impressive in terms of build quality, the cabin, the adjustable damping and engine. If I'd not driven the Type R, I'd have been happy buying an A45, but I know what you mean. I had a 335i auto some while back. Quick car, but there just wasn't much to do in it. It just did everything without driver involvement.

    I'm just hoping the Type R isn't too much the other way!!

    David

  5. #5
    David__H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D3ano View Post
    I’d say look for bubbling under the paint of the wheels, very common issue, and water in the rear wing, open the boot up and give it a shake you’ll hear it slosh around as it can get in but can’t escape.

    In regards to the gearbox there’s plenty modified examples about (with more power than this one) which haven’t had issues, it’s hit and miss and in a large part down to treating it with a little respect, letting it warm up correctly not hammering it in gear if you get a little resistance and so on, others may disagree but I’ve owned mine over a year now and regularly scour owners forums and I’d say the large majority of gearbox issues I’ve heard of can be attributed to a rougher life. Take it out for a proper drive and get a real feel for the gears and you’ll soon have an idea if it doesn’t feel right otherwise there isn’t too much else maybe check it’s boosting correctly (hold the top left button on the steering wheel on the g-meter menu to bring up the boost gauge in hard acceleration it should be at 1.2-1.4 bar) there was a wiring issue at one time which would cause a snap and the cars wouldn’t boost fully but I would assume that this one will be fine as it wouldn’t run right and it’d be very noticeable.

    Otherwise they’re spot on cars, I don’t drive mine a whole lot as I have a work van but it puts a smile on my face every single time I take it out!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good info, that's the sort of help I'm after. Thank you!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •