• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

M2 intake manifold for ep3

Has anyone installed one of these? Does the one for the ep3 come with the water port housing on the right hand side?

Do these perform better than the RBC / RRC?

Pretty much the same give or take 1bhp here or there! The skunk 2 ultra intake manifold out performed all other intakes on the market recently tested by Jesse halford ( Jcal ) me personally would go for one of these and pay the extra £100

I'm just at Tdi now where Jesse is mapping mine with the skunk 2. I had an rbc before which made 242 with romain, so it will be interesting to compare the graphs. Won't be like for like as this is a hub dyno, but will give an idea.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

There we have it. 225bhp at the wheels. Equates to just over 250, so maybe 8 to 10 more than the rbc but that's on different dynos.

It pulls well and drives really nicely. So I'm very happy. I can't really remember what the rbc was like as I had a Rotrex in between so I'm down 110 whp to what I'm used to!
b6e9782b32d673b24c828da2b2e301d8.jpg

Red chart is the standard tune, with all the bolt ons. Running 210whp so wasn't bad power wise really!

Good input guys. Congrats Norv. Good results. Now I’ve actually read the stock intake manifold performs the best on a street car as you lose low-mid range torque with larger plenums and gain in higher rpms. Is this correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@norv any review write ups on the Rotrex?

I haven't really. To summarise though. Very linear power, the higher you rev the faster you go, which meant it was manageable even in the wet. It made the car pretty fast and would pull on M3s etc. It always surprised people when a civic would go that fast!

Reasons I removed it were cost, £2k+ sat there, I only do 2k miles a year tops. Fear of licence losing speeds, give it the beans through a gear or 2 and you're in trouble. Fuel usage, it was costing me £20 in fuel to do a return 20 miles trip to work. Seemed silly having all that just sat there.

Now I've freed up some cash to do a few more track days, made it a bit more usable for the road and more likely to put a few miles on it.

I know I'll miss it, but time will tell how much.

Norv thank you very much for taking the time to write that up. You see I’m torn between keeping the EP3 and supercharging it one day or simply selling and buying an Mazda 3 MPS or Focus ST and turning the boost up.

I know nothing will drive like a sharp and raw EP3

It's a tough choice. Ideally you'd want to go for a spin in ea of them to make your mind up. I have no idea which would be more cost effective or have the most potential. But the k20 must be one of the best engines for producing power with stock internals!

I was running 15psi of boost on stock engine and clutch. Never had any issues.

Well I’m having a Quaife ATB and new OEM clutch installed tomorrow along with a 2.5” catback. The car will have a decent base then!

The diff makes a huge difference. You can feel it everytime you drive the car.

When I first fitted mine, I pulled off from some traffic lights and the n/s wheel hit some wet manhole covers, the wheel snatched to the right as the o/s wheels gripped and it really surprised me quite how much it pulled!

One of my favourite mods I think, I kind of wish I went for a plated diff now as I do so few road miles, but they make some savage noises when driving about.

Aah awesome. I’m having a Spoon 5.3 final drive fitted and a fast road setup being done at same time. The FD will not be great for Rotrex as it’ll go through gears too quickly?

I was glad I didn't do the FD when I had the diff fitted and then went for the charger. But I can't see a 5.3 making that big a difference. 2nd gear was a handful but 3rd was fine, so I would imagine a bit of 3rd will be a bit lairy, but you'll be fine!

Decent geometry set up also makes a world of difference. I've got some more track focused coilovers to go on soon and I'll go for a slightly more aggressive geometry set up to help turn in.

I’m a little nervous of the 5.3 FD if I’m honest. Don’t know what to expect. I’m hoping it improves acceleration it doesn’t sit at high noisy revs when trying to cruise. Although I’ve heard I can pootle around in 4th / 5th at low street speeds with the shorter gearing.

Hopefully it’s not too crazy and I’ve still got the option to supercharge in future.

Yeah it'll be really good. It's only the difference between cruising at 70 or 75 worst case, so won't be an issue. Rev difference won't be huge. The extra gearing will be nice, when pushing on a bit. Maybe one day I'll get a different box for mine with a plated diff and FD. There's always something on the list isn't there!

Back