• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 FK8 Quiz Time

FK8 Quiz Time

1 of these is right, 2 of these are just wrong, 1 is very wrong. The answer isn't levels of dirt, but which ones are which and why?

20E29F51-76DF-40E9-A331-61ADD5E9400A.jpeg

F767AE00-86C8-4DA1-A398-E624FE4F4E8A.jpeg

ED814A74-CD59-4299-850C-7A773745BF94.jpeg

29322799-9AEA-4022-B649-836C9693D43C.jpeg

ha ha - no never, but fan knowing your mutual levels of OCD-ness you'll be straight outside to check your car too.

The first one is correct, the other 3 are "wrong" because of the locking wheel nut position.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

.....winner winner! I can't believe I let this happen when I rotated the wheels. not sure if they do it at the factory but Cambridge Honda say it's one thing they always do when replacing wheels/tyres is make sure the H and the LWN are in alignment. :)

.....winner winner! I can't believe I let this happen when I rotated the wheels. not sure if they do it at the factory but Cambridge Honda say it's one thing they always do when replacing wheels/tyres is make sure the H and the LWN are in alignment. :)
Me too, I always fit the locknut next to the valve and align the H as well.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

worry not, I'll fix that quick sharp on the next buff-up, I'm like the princess and the pea (not-sleeping well) knowing the perfect handling balance on my FK8 is waaaay out. :lol:

Oh thank the lord maybe I am not as OCD as I once thought! Ha that's next level gents

no, you wanna hear next level? discussing this exact topic on the Lotus forums and it turns out that in Porsche Service Guides they specifically state the LWN should go opposite the value. due to the weight of the valve itself.

oh and someone did ask the comparative weight of a LWN to a Normal stud....so yes I had to go measure it on the kitchen scales (LWN = ~100g Normal Stud = 50g).

........think I need to go lie down for a while now in a darkened room :lol:

32C709C8-834C-48CF-A9EF-23DCF65AE1CC.jpeg

Well if that's the case, it only really matters where the locking wheel nut was on the wheel at the time of balancing - not in relation to the valve (if it was not aligned to the valve at balcing).

Or - top tip from me: Give less fcuks.

Well if that's the case, it only really matters where the locking wheel nut was on the wheel at the time of balancing - not in relation to the valve (if it was not aligned to the valve at balcing).

Or - top tip from me: Give less fcuks.

of course you're right, 'cept that balancing machines don't use the LWN or Studs instead go through the hole in the centre of the wheel - which is why sometimes your H cap can come back in a different position to the Valve after a tyre change and balance.

Interesting, I never knew that. Not something I've stopped around to watch before. Wonder how much that throws it out because wheel balacing weights don't tend to be huge. 20 -60g say.

Maybe it's not so bad as they're fairly close to the centre of rotation compared to wheel weights.... Thinking outloud here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn’t there something else with marks on the tyres lining up with the valves? I think the little yellow and/or red dots you can see when the tyre is new. I must admit I never knew about the locking wheel nut. It may explain random wheel balancing issues I’ve had in the past.

Back