Home
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil under the engine

Hi Fred,

What I meant by the oil remark was even if you spill a few drops of oil at the top of the engine, once its hot it will run surprisingly far and looks far worse than it is.

So make that 25ml or so out of 4-5 litres and it would leave a big patch on the under tray and probably form drips.

Personally I'd take it to someone not at the dealership and explain you've seen oil, suspect spillage and could they clean it all off leaving it bone dry so you can reassess.

I'd imagine the labour costs to be nice and low for that.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Norv View Post
    Hi Fred,

What I meant by the oil remark was even if you spill a few drops of oil at the top of the engine, once its hot it will run surprisingly far and looks far worse than it is.

So make that 25ml or so out of 4-5 litres and it would leave a big patch on the under tray and probably form drips.

Personally I'd take it to someone not at the dealership and explain you've seen oil, suspect spillage and could they clean it all off leaving it bone dry so you can reassess.

I'd imagine the labour costs to be nice and low for that.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk
    Hi Norv, Yes i'll do that, and let you know how things go on.Many thanks.

Don't be too trusting in dealers and certainly not HUK, HUK make out they're being helpful but all they do is collect as much info as possible and come up with such crap you end up walking away and dealing with it yourself, they can also make future dealer visits awkward (I've been there myself) I logged an issue, was asked if I want them to contact the dealer, I said no I only want to log in case of future issues....... Yep they rang the dealer

Quote Originally Posted by dweezle View Post
    Don't be too trusting in dealers and certainly not HUK, HUK make out they're being helpful but all they do is collect as much info as possible and come up with such crap you end up walking away and dealing with it yourself, they can also make future dealer visits awkward (I've been there myself) I logged an issue, was asked if I want them to contact the dealer, I said no I only want to log in case of future issues....... Yep they rang the dealer
    I see what you mean. Maybe thats why they wanted the names of the dealers i've been in touch with.I suppose on the face of it the dealers appear to be the friendly dealership but work to running a business and making lots of profit. They charge around 90.00 per hour labour which isnt cheap and I just wonder if thats why they wanted to take the gearbox out rather than investigating the leak step by step.
    I'm sure that ill get to the bottom of the oil under the engine be it oil run down from a previous service or from top ups or if its the rear main oil seal. One things for sure it may take time but it will be resolved, i'll keep.you informed and look forward to speaking to you soon as a happy ctr fk2 owner
    Regards Fred.
    Last edited by fk2fred; 20-09-2019 at 08:29 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to fk2fred For This Useful Post:

dweezle (21-09-2019)