• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

DC5 to FD2 or FK2?

Moderator edit, moved from Mark's build thread.
https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?102383-My-FK2

Hi Mark,

Not sure whether you still have the FK2 or have since moved on?

I'm just after some feedback on it please as I'm looking at selling the DC5 soon and I'm torn between one of these and an FD2 and I can see that you've been fortunate enough to have owned both.

Over the last few weeks I've been swaying more towards an FD2 which is renowned for being an amazing car but very harsh, the DC5 I have I just don't enjoy driving anymore.

It pulls and moves around everywhere and in the wet it's terrible especially on AD08R. The FD2 seems to be a more stable car with far superior grip levels and a much sharper turn in than the Teg from what I've read and of course the rear suspension is independent which will be better, but I do worry that they're going to be too similar a car. I know engine output is the same but obviously it's a far more rigid stiffer car which I can live with, but I have concerns with the diff etc that it will drag around and tramline like the Teg does; and will suffer from bump steer on some of the roads near me (North Wales).

I'm really liking the FK2 as well though and they seem to handle and be an amazing car as a daily, again a touch on the harsh side but liveable. Has the FK2 really moved on that much from say the DC5 and FD2 and is it a good daily? I enjoy thrashing the K20 but it does get tiresome some days, would be nice to get into something newer and more comfortable which is easier to drive but has that power available on tap.

Only concerns with an FK2 are the gearbox, I'm reading that there have multiple issues with post-15 plate cars in particular. I test drove an FK8 a few weeks back and it felt extremely planted at the front so I'm thinking the FK2 is going to feel quite similar in that sense? Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Marc

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the late reply.

If you’re finding the DC5 boring then I’m afraid the FD will go the same way.
It’ll be great for a first few months but it’ll get very familiar far too soon.
You’ll also start getting fed up with the bouncy ride which you can sort out with rear Koni struts.

I personally preferred the DC5 over the FD2, just because it felt more of a sports car.

The FK does feel like it’s come on leaps and bounds from the FD, a lot more gadgets and refinement but it doesn’t have the same steering feel.

Also if you prefer the screaming K20 then you won’t get that with the FK.
I personally enjoy the turbo engines, I love the power you have and it still handles really well.

I’d say you need to take an FK2 out and you’ll notice the difference from the older cars and the softer FK8.

Agree with Mark, the FD2 is a great car and it is better than the DC5. It's 10-15% better in most areas which adds to to being a much better package overall. But that said it's still very much the same car, no low down torque, very few toys, uncomfortable on standard suspension (more so than the DC5), dated interior (although an improvement better than the DC5). If you want a different experience then the FD2 wouldn't be the right choice, it's more of the same just better overall (I guess apart from looks).

The FK2 on the other hand IMO doesn't have the same feel of the older cars plus the gearbox and engine would worry me, especially if taking it on track or tuning. There's far too many of them with issues for my liking! I only really use my FD2 on circuit, if it was just a road car I'm not sure I could justify keeping hold of it.

Cheers lads for the excellent feedback, really appreciate it!

I've got a difficult decision here going forward. The FD2 seems to be a great car but I don't know if I could tolerate that harsh ride all the time and my Teg is a daily and is already harsh as it is. I have read as you said Mark, that replacing the rears with Koni's help somewhat with this but then again it's a better package overall. I've been reading a lot that an FD2 with a Rotrex charger is a good option to go for?

Can anyone confirm if you can run ITB's on the FD as from what I've read, the throttle is DBW so you can't use KPRO with DBW - only Flashpro which means throttle bodies essentially can't be mapped to the ECU?

Chris - thanks for the info re the FK2. Not hearing of many engine issues with them? Gearboxes yes but not as weak as the FK8? Has put me off a little now that you've mentioned engine issues potentially, can you confirm what problems they're suffering from?

I would still like to drive one if I can but my other alternative is a Golf GTI Clubsport. Nice cars with a lot of spec and seem to be pretty powerful too.

I've been reading a lot that an FD2 with a Rotrex charger is a good option to go for?

Can anyone confirm if you can run ITB's on the FD as from what I've read, the throttle is DBW so you can't use KPRO with DBW - only Flashpro which means throttle bodies essentially can't be mapped to the ECU?

Chris - thanks for the info re the FK2. Not hearing of many engine issues with them? Gearboxes yes but not as weak as the FK8? Has put me off a little now that you've mentioned engine issues potentially, can you confirm what problems they're suffering from?

I don't like any of the commercially available superchargers; they tend to have design flaws with either cooling, fitting brackets or longevity. If you want that sort of power then get an FK2 as it has it out of the box.

There are a few track based FK2's that I know of with a power uplift where the engines have gone. You won't find much info on forums about it.

Thanks for this Chris, you're not doing a good job of helping me get an FD2 here haha! They shouldn't have faults and design flaws consdering the price of some of the setups (5k before fitting)

The FK2 wouldn't see much track action, 2 at most a year as that's all I do in the Teg but I am concerned about the engine's and gearboxes in them. A lad off the DC5 forum has been informed by TGM that they've seen a few with engine problems. I'm being put off an FK2 now as a result of this which is a shame as I'd like to stay Honda. As much as I love the FD2 I think it'll be too similar to the DC5 long-term and it's a lot of money for one.

Might look at GTI Clubsport's as an alternative but I have concerns they'll be boring, hate the farting DSG sound when changing gear as well so it would definitely have to be a manual if I get one.

I think you should try an FD2. The differences are subtle but I believe it makes for a much improved package. It’s difficult to gauge from a test drive and takes a while to fully appreciate it.

My understanding of the engine in the FK2 is that the cooling vanes are small, in order to for it to heat up faster for emissions reasons. This then leads to hot spots under increased load.

And not forgetting the FK2/FK8 engines are built near their limit from factory,
New owners are usually not aware of that and jump straight on ECU crack maps for a few hundred quid and problems start.
There are a few forged items popping up now so if it's figure chasing then I would consider that route for a LOT of peace of mind, but exhaust and intake is all that's needed for day to day use

Thanks Chris.

I will definetely give an FD2 a try once the time comes, but it's finding one for sale or having an owner who doesn't know me let me go out in one - this is the challenge.

I have done a lot of research into them and I do appreciate they're a superior car but a good point you mentioned is that it's difficult to judge what one is like based on one test drive. I kind of expect one to feel very similar to a Teg but a little bit stiffer and a bit sharper; that's what I'm after in a car. The DC5 feels vague to me so I'd have hoped an FD2 would be an improvement in this sense.

Thanks as well for the information around the FK2. It's made me think that perhaps going for one isn't such a wise move, anything engine related is a major concern on what would already be an expensive car.

Thanks for this bud, I certainly wouldn't be chasing figures and tbh a stock car would be my preferred choice but I've been put off one now after hearing about both engine and gearbox problems.

I know it's highly unlikely things would go majorly wrong but it's a risk I can't afford to take with a car like this which is a shame as I was really interested in an FK2 as well.

Thanks for this bud, I certainly wouldn't be chasing figures and tbh a stock car would be my preferred choice but I've been put off one now after hearing about both engine and gearbox problems.

I know it's highly unlikely things would go majorly wrong but it's a risk I can't afford to take with a car like this which is a shame as I was really interested in an FK2 as well.

If Honda had a different attitude I would say go for it but they've not done themselves any favours with both Fk's, I don't recommend either just for that alone.
It's been nothing but confusion and bull**** since 2015, and as an owner it is hard to forget these potential issues and the "what if" does niggle you.
They are great cars and really are enjoying but as said every now and then that niggle pops in your head, This morning for example, driving along no worries then I hear PING, luckily ice warning alarm but every time that ice warning pings, my arse still tightens after 4 years.

They are great cars and really are enjoying but as said every now and then that niggle pops in your head, This morning for example, driving along no worries then I hear PING, luckily ice warning alarm but every time that ice warning pings, my arse still tightens after 4 years.

Interesting point, it's exactly what I went through with both my Evo's. Every little noise etc made me think 'oh dear here comes another bill'. With my FD2 I know I can keep spanking the hell out of it and there won't be any issues bar something extremely rare happening. Engine wise, the NA K20 in the FD2 is the crown jewel, they put in all of their knowledge from the previous iterations of the K20 into it, hence oil pump, cam, intake upgrades etc.

I'm going to split these posts out into a new thread shortly as it's Mark's build thread and it's gone a little off topic. :lol:

Back