• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 EP3 not warming up all the way?

Hey I just bought a relatively low mileage EP3 (149k km) and car is as expected so far except that it doesn't warm up all the way.

Like if the temp gauge would be from 0 to 100 with 50 in the middle being the optimal, the car doesn't warm up past 35-40, in the same boat the heater works and blows warm but not as warm as any other car I've been in.

So just a faulty thermostat most likely, anyone else had this issue? I tried googling and surprisingly came up short handed.

EDIT: New symptom the engine temp tanks almost all the way to the low mark during hard accel going WOT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Water temp indication sounds normal. Temp, don't know. Maybe thermostat and the inaccurate water temp gauge is masking it.

Water temp indication sounds normal. Temp, don't know. Maybe thermostat and the inaccurate water temp gauge is masking it.

Yeah it's within the operational range but of course a steady 90 would be.. just more optimal I guess. New symptom though the engine temp tanks almost all the way to the low mark during hard accel going WOT, comes back up within a minute though.

Also something came loose with the heater dial on the dash, there was a bit of resistance and then no resistance and doesn't change the temp anymore (separate issue most likely, making a different thread)

EDIT: This is as high as temp gauge rises, at the lower end of the operational temp and it drops 10-20% during hard acceleration but heats right back up shortly.

Imuag03.jpg

Yeah it's within the operational range but of course a steady 90 would be.. just more optimal I guess. New symptom though the engine temp tanks almost all the way to the low mark during hard accel going WOT, comes back up within a minute though.

Also something came loose with the heater dial on the dash, there was a bit of resistance and then no resistance and doesn't change the temp anymore (separate issue most likely, making a different thread)

EDIT: This is as high as temp gauge rises, at the lower end of the operational temp and it drops 10-20% during hard acceleration but heats right back up shortly.

My water temperature gauge reads exactly the same and has done for the last five years - it's fine...

Allright that's good to know thanks. Has anyone ever investigated why just out of curiosity? I realized that it starts reaally low on the gauge when cold, way below the cold mark so could it just be a quirk with the gauge?

IU3s1Ht.png

All three of mine sat at that spot once warm and didn't move.

I would be more concerned if it reads much higher or sit differently on the gauge

Mine is the same, the dial never goes very high. For more accurate readings I use a Bluetooth OBD2 reader paired with an app on my phone called Torque, I would recommend it. I've noticed when the water temperature gets to 100°c the radiator fan will kick in.

My heater only ever gets lukewarm, not like any car I've ever had before too. Pretty sure something's up with it but I don't know what it could be.

Back