• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

RRC manifold, which thermal gasket?

I need to buy a thermal manifold gasket (manifold to head) for an rrc going onto an ep3. There seems to be a few to choose from, what I mean by that is that some have additional holes in the gasket, and some have no additional holes. Looking at the oem prb the extra hole on the head side is in line with where the vac hose goes into the manifold. On the rrc/rbc the vac hose connection is more central. I'm guessing I need to search for the gasket for the rrc rather than the gasket for the k20a2?

If there's no corresponding hole on the RRC it shouldn't matter if there's a hole in the gasket or not. Either should do. The other way around is when you run into problems, needing a hole which isn't there.

Here's my old rbc with hondata gasket. The green dots are where the prb holes are, the yellows are where the rrc/rbc holes are located. I'm going to go for a gasket where the rrc/rbc holes line up. Where do these vac hose holes actually go on the head? They don't appear to go anywhere!

Attachments

• sketch-1569330054767-766x540.png
    sketch-1569330054767-766x540.png
    714.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. I always thought it was where the vac hoses connected, in the pic you can see the hose connection and then a hole in the face of the mani below. There's no holes in the block so I'm not sure how they function.

Edit. Just read on k20 that these are the vacuum ports, I'll need the corresponding gasket for the rbc, hence with the hole more central.

Last edited by a moderator:
And that's a through hole from the pipe connection to that flange hole? If there's nothing corresponding in the head then that's absolutely pointless.

I think it vacuums to the depression on the head between the ports? I've no idea how or why :D

Apparently its the air intake bypass control thermal valve.

It helps warm the injectors up on cold start, not really required.

When I did mine there were little vacuum sort of Chambers where the pipes went and into the injector ports. I just got a cheap one with no holes and drilled my own once I had eyed up where it should go.

Just make sure the gasket is the correct size as I've heard it can affect the spray pattern of the injectors causing fuelling issues and messing up the mapping.

Once you mock it up with the manifold you'll see what I mean, if the injector spray hits the gasket you won't get good mixture etc..

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

Back