• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Squeaky rear EP3

fmp

Hi all,

I have developed a squeak from what I think is the driver side rear wheel. It was intermittent, but is now fairly constant. It increased when I turn left, so as the driver side wheel is slightly more loaded.

So I am guessing this is a wheel bearing? Unless I am missing something else/a common problem.

if it is a wheel bearing, are aftermarket ones ok, or is it only worth going with a genuine replacement?

If anyone can advise, I would appreciate it.

Could be the pads bizarrely enough. Wear indicatorsn on the shims have done this to me in the past. If not, then yeah bearings or droplinks (though not for constant squeaks) are common culprits.

Hi Loxy, thanks for the info, I will take a look at the pads.

I replaced the droplinks a couple of months ago, so would be surprised if it was those.

So after some further investigation, it appears my brake pads are fine. and I cant feel any play in the bearing.

What I did notice is the rubber rings that sit on the tight coils of the rear spring have perished. Leaving the spring to make contact with itself. I am thinking this may be the cause of the squeak.

Anyone else experienced this? Or am I way out with my thoughts?

Back