• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ep3 drop in revs at idle

So I have a ep3 and done some research and found that the idle control valve sometimes plays up one these and causes the revs to go high and drop suddenly,
I don’t have that problem, when warm I find that mine drops to 500rpm almost wanting to cut out after I rev and let off.
Could the culprit still be the idle valve?
Thanks Paul

The idle air assist valve can cause problems, the easiest way to rule it out is to clamp the vacuum pipe at the inlet manifd on the passenger side. It's a U shape pipe from a plastic valve in the head to the inlet manifold. If you clamp this with some mole grips or the like and see if it makes any difference it will rule it out. The plastic bit is very brittle so go steady around it.

The valve is for colder climates and doesn't make any difference if its working or not over here.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

The idle air assist valve can cause problems, the easiest way to rule it out is to clamp the vacuum pipe at the inlet manifd on the passenger side. It's a U shape pipe from a plastic valve in the head to the inlet manifold. If you clamp this with some mole grips or the like and see if it makes any difference it will rule it out. The plastic bit is very brittle so go steady around it.

The valve is for colder climates and doesn't make any difference if its working or not over here.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

I’ll give that a go, thanks.
Does it matter that it’s the jdm version? Is there any difference in that side of things?

Last edited by a moderator:
No different with JDM version. Intake manifold is different but throttle body is the same principle.

Have a search for loose throttle cable. Seen similar symptoms for that before, if not then as suggested try calibrating the TPS.

Back