• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 A few questions... Differences? Or am i stupid?

:) Hello again forum.

I have owned my Type R about a month now, and after being in someone else's FK8 (yes I met someone from a Type R group!;)) I have noticed a few things that are different to mine. (Or I just can't figure out how to use them!). (Probably the latter).

1) Rev Matching... No matter what mode I have it in, the rev matching only works if I skip gears. I.e. Going from 4th to 3rd, no rev match but if I go from 4th the 2nd while slowing down it works. The guy I met's Type R rev matched on every gear. Even in Type R mode it does the same thing. Unless I am just being an idiot??

2) The wipers... Mine seem to go crazy if it rains. I have turned down the sensitivity but they still seem to wipe when its not needed?

3) The front screen fogs up very quickly. Maybe that happens in everyone's though? And the screen always seems to stay a tad foggy.

4) The dashboard brightness seems to adjust by itself to the amount of light in the car. His didn't do this? He had to do it manually.

5) The engine oil in my handbook seems to say differently than every other persons. My engine oil cap says 'C2' which is 5W 30. I also phoned Honda and they have said they use 5W 30 in their Type R's. Everyone on another Type R group has said they use 0W 20 ??? Mine is a 68 Plate, registered 31st December 2018. Apparently it has something different in the engine to the 17, 67 and 18 plate models? Some sort of filter? (Forgive my dummy language haha!)

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice :D
Also apologies if im just being a noob. :confused::lol:

1) It only work on gears changes above 2k RPM.
2) They can be somewhat "random" in operation, my wife’s 1.0lt civic works fine, my CTR just makes it up no matter what setting I use on the sensitivity, well maybe not quite that bad but nowhere near as good as my previous vehicles.
3) They do, just hit the old demist button and once clear switch to Auto, this will engage the A/C when required to remove the humidity.
4) The "stick" you use to switch between the varios trip meters can be rotated to alter the brightness.
5) 0W20 is the correct grade for the 2018 (and later) CTR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was this a date? Could it be the first couple with his and hers cars?? Was it the same colour? That would be epic

1 - As Arcam said. Sounds weird, try it again, make sure its over 2K and if not that's a dealer jobbie
2 - Mine don't wipe enough, I am always fiddling with it to clear the dam rain so I can see seems a lottery!
3 - Yep, this time of year its noticeable...i also had it on my EP3, but never on my golf or focus...maybe a honda thing - mine takes a g e s to clear in the morning
4 - Mines defo auto, goes very dark sometimes, thought it was knackered at first
5 - As Arcam

Thank you for all the info Arcam. :p

Im kind of ****ed off now though because I now have a huge bottle of engine oil they told me to buy which is the wrong oil... :mad:

Haha maybe it was a date... let me get back to you in a few weeks haha. His was Black though :( Mines the gun metal grey. Maybe we could be Batman (Black) and Super woman (Grey)?

I will try the gears again on the way home. Very confused as to why mine don't seem to be rev matching. Perhaps I am always under 2K? Will let you know.
Again, kind of annoyed about the engine oil. Spent £35 on a bottle of 5W 30 which I now can't use. :mad: Thanks Honda you utter planks

Thank you for all the info Arcam.

Im kind of ****ed off now though because I now have a huge bottle of engine oil they told me to buy which is the wrong oil... :mad:
You are welcome

If it is unsealed you should be able to swap it or get a refund.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

oh my god, I'm glad somone brought the Wiper issue up. I just cant figure them out for the life of me, they literally do what they want.
and also Yes @ the constantly misting up windscreen..

My Honda dealer couldn’t supply the 0w-20 and sold me 5W-30 instead telling me that’s what they put in all FK8’s. I wasn’t convinced so spoke to Opie oils who I have used for many years for oil for my bike. They said it was ok to mix different grades providing it was the same type of oil for example synthetic( I’ve added half a litre to my car in 7000 miles but obviously do this at your own risk if you can’t get 0W-20). Secondly they thought 0W-20 was a bit extreme for the UK climate and there 5W-30 would be a better bet when changed at the first service. The handbook states that the 0W-20 is to improve fuel economy. If you have a look in the next column under commercial oil then 5W-30 is one of the three recommended grades depending on ambient temperatures, it’s on page 673 of my handbook.

On the subject of the dash dimming, it happens on mine when the auto headlights comes on if I through a tunnel or under trees. I have found the there is a massive step in brightness on the control knob from full to the next increment down. I’ve now stopped mine dimming by turning the brightness knob to full but you have to do it with the headlights on. Hope this helps.

1) Block changes (4 - 2, 5 - 3 etc) will not engage the rev match system, it only work on adjacent gears and then only above 2k RPM.

This isn’t correct, it will rev match on block changes.

My auto wipers are also terrible, too slow one minute then going crazy the next. They were fine on my FN2 so it seems bizarre to me that they are a step back on the much newer car.

This isn’t correct, it will rev match on block changes.

My auto wipers are also terrible, too slow one minute then going crazy the next. They were fine on my FN2 so it seems bizarre to me that they are a step back on the much newer car.
This is correct for my 2018 vehicle and the 2 demo cars I drove as well, I do a lot of block changed particularly on track and it has never worked once.

I can confirm this is an issue with my car, I will leave it until dealer visit in December.

I think Honda may have carried out a software upgrade at some point. My car has always Rev matched above 2k rpm between sequential gears and block changes. I block change every morning as I approach work and it never fails to rev match. My car was built at the end of Nov 18.

I think Honda may have carried out a software upgrade at some point. My car has always Rev matched above 2k rpm between sequential gears and block changes. I block change every morning as I approach work and it never fails to rev match. My car was built at the end of Nov 18.
TBH Dave I am very surprised it does not work on mine with block changes, you could argue it is even more valuable then. I will raise a case with Honda.

TBH Dave I am very surprised it does not work on mine with block changes, you could argue it is even more valuable then. I will raise a case with Honda.

My month old works with block changes. I really don't like it as the Engine screams. Its taught me to go through the box earlier on downshifts & enjoy the blipping :D

Yep, mine is the same. Can't tell you build date but it was brand new to me at the end of April 19. R-26065

Confirmed this is an issue on my car, I have amended my original post.

I have been testing mine over the coming days.
It does Rev Match over 2k rpm and it also rev matches on block changes.

Funny that we all have different scenarios with the same car haha :p

My Honda dealer couldn’t supply the 0w-20 and sold me 5W-30 instead telling me that’s what they put in all FK8’s. I wasn’t convinced so spoke to Opie oils who I have used for many years for oil for my bike. They said it was ok to mix different grades providing it was the same type of oil for example synthetic( I’ve added half a litre to my car in 7000 miles but obviously do this at your own risk if you can’t get 0W-20). Secondly they thought 0W-20 was a bit extreme for the UK climate and there 5W-30 would be a better bet when changed at the first service. The handbook states that the 0W-20 is to improve fuel economy. If you have a look in the next column under commercial oil then 5W-30 is one of the three recommended grades depending on ambient temperatures, it’s on page 673 of my handbook.

Okay well that's extremely confusing haha. I think I will just bite the bullet and get some 0W 20 as everyone seems to use it.

Back