• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

SK-R's Hyundai i30N Performance

Hello all and welcome to another build thread of mine.
This will not be as significant or in-depth as the EP3, simply because the car is new, but I will try to provide as much content as possible :)

So then, the car. Why a Hyundai?

- Fun factor
- Looks
- Rarity
- Price to performance ratio

I wanted something aggressive while also being reasonably understated. That immediately ruled out the Civic Type R and Focus RS for me. It was then down to M140i, Golf GTI/Golf R/Audi S3 or some french alternatives. I test drove an M140i, it was actually a tuned one and I must say it is one hell of a rocket ship.. while going straight. As soon as we got to some corners, it felt bloaty (if it can be described that way?) and the suspension was unsettling. The car even had an M performance Diff and Eibach springs. The exhaust note was glorious though, that straight six (last of it's kind now) is a very nice engine, good torque and respectable MPG for what it is. So that car was a 50/50 for me, I decided to keep looking. I then tried a blue Golf R which had every option from factory including an Akrapovic Exhaust. The thing was pretty mental off the line, and relatively comfortable as a daily when not in it's most aggressive settings. The DSG is smooth and sound insulation was great. Since this was a Pre-GPF car, the exhaust actually sounded good, even if a little artificial with the pops happening on every single gear change. The problem with it for me, is that it was so expensive for the year and mileage it was on, and also it was pretty boring to drive. Not because the car isn't fast or anything, but because it takes no effort to go fast. Perhaps I should have tried a manual? Later that week I tried a Golf GTI which felt like a downgrade from the R in every single way bar the handling, and then a friend of mine's S3 which felt... well Golf like. Then I started looking at Megane RS, and quickly came back to my senses (french electronics lol). So last port of call, before signing a deal on a beemer of some kind was the i30 N which a lot of people on Youtube raved about, so I had to go and see why.

Something quite interesting about the car is the fact that it was engineered by Albert Biermann. He was a fundamental part of the creation of BMW’s M division, and responsible for arguably one of the greatest cars of all time, the BMW E30 M3. Many people don’t know this and usually say "Yes but it's just a Hyundai". But even if we disregard all of that, the car just makes you want to drive like a lunatic! It is incredible how much fun it is to drive, it honestly feels like a oldschool hot hatch. It doesn't have digital speedo or a fancy automatic gearbox, which is great! Instead it has all the features you could possibly need, along with a ton of extras (Wireless charging, heated seats, steering wheel and mirrors, DAB/Apple Car Play/Android Auto, Nav ect. ect. all out of the box). Not to mention the central display's N mode settings, which allow you to configure your car as you see fit. There is no mode that fits all, so this way you can have your suspension in X setting and your steering in another, or perhaps even lock your diff or keep it open, change exhaust volume/pops, ect. I felt like a kid at Christmas and probably spent 2 hours messing around with every setting the car had before even driving it :D

Anyway, enough chatter, let's get on with the pictures. So I picked it up on Monday last week, and had the dealer register it directly to my plates (I do wonder what it's 69 plate would have been though).
The dealer managed to install the rear plate (with tape as requested) however they could not mount the front for some reason, so I drove it home like this:

CEJV8Peh.jpg

Y0qsyiKh.jpg

There was no time to lose, so first mod was to de-badge the rear as I think it makes it look a lot cleaner:
3PVYwp2h.jpg

VwFT3iLh.jpg

Then change numberplate lights to LED:
1yudNRjh.jpg

ioYhyPUh.jpg

While at it, decided to do the rear indicators also:
nlnzLGjh.jpg

IU4edJeh.jpg

LOipPXuh.jpg

You can see the comparison here:
[video=youtube;2Av2xbgCDMk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Av2xbgCDMk[/video]

I also had some N stickers for the side skirts, which already have them embossed but it looks better with some colour imo:
Ud7yRj7h.jpg

DuiPqEPh.jpg

And last but not least, a much needed wash and interior clean:

IklmEBNh.jpg

GNYifcNh.jpg

VBU54mih.jpg

GR37rG5h.jpg

YAgYaBlh.jpg

KutK17sh.jpg

grqBBrQh.jpg

And that's it for now. Will update as I get through the running in period, which is around 600 miles.

SK-R

Last edited by a moderator:
Really like these. Great choice dude, enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome choice for both performance and rarity!! Sounds insane in N mode. Love the colour also

Very nice.
Good little personal touches, it doesn't need many to lift it up.

Really like these. Great choice dude, enjoy.

Nice car!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Awesome choice for both performance and rarity!! Sounds insane in N mode. Love the colour also

Thanks lads, it really is a weapon in N mode!
The exhaust is quite loud and burbles down low, apparently it takes around 3-4k miles for it to properly burn in and open up (to the quoted 98db on full tilt). FYI the 2017 and early 2018 cars that did not have a GPF, were rated at 109db! :D

Can I have a go

Sure man, remind me next time I see you :)

What's the cheapest i30 performance at the moment? Used going for?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The cost has always been the stumbling block for me. Unless you're buying outright in cash (in which case they're a steal), they are quite expensive to own in comparison to some of the competitors, so you have to *really* want one.

The cost has always been the stumbling block for me. Unless you're buying outright in cash (in which case they're a steal), they are quite expensive to own in comparison to some of the competitors, so you have to *really* want one.

Well it depends on the deal you get. Before this one, I had an ex-demo for about a week. I bought that for £22,700 with 3500miles on the clock with a GFV after 4 years and 12k miles per year around £8800 (which is low compared to say a Golf R/CTR but then again for £22k is it?).

The list price for these cars is £30k, but after bringing a carwow quote to a dealer and doing a bit more haggling, you can get them down considerably. This one cost me £26,800 + £399 GAP. The GFV on it is £10,900, so not too bad I think, very similar to any other hot hatch in that price range.
Regardless, it was one of those purchases I made because I actually wanted it (after driving it), I knew financially there is probably better options but f*ck it, you are only young once :D

I remember young; no mortgage, no kids, fast women & loose cars....................

Those figures don't give the full pictures without taking deposit and monthly payments into account though.

As a straight lease, the i30 worked out ~£100 a month more than the Cupra and PCP was a similar margin. I want one, but not that badly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great bit of text & photos as usual :D

Do what feels right,spend as much as you like on what you want & never look back :p

You Sir are an asset to this forum & will go far =D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>

Those figures don't give the full pictures without taking deposit and monthly payments into account though.

As a straight lease, the i30 worked out ~£100 a month more than the Cupra and PCP was a similar margin. I want one, but not that badly.

I ll PM you all the details, it should make a bit more sense then.

Great bit of text & photos as usual :D

Do what feels right,spend as much as you like on what you want & never look back :p

You Sir are an asset to this forum & will go far =D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>

Thank you sir, how's the FK2 treating you?

Right time for another update. Got some more bulbs!

Rear LEDs:
5G9d82bh.jpg

ykB73Mhh.jpg

Ua75vg7h.jpg

Got a screen protector from Amazon. It is hard to capture but the original screen has a matte anti-reflective surface. The issue with that is, fingerprints are hard to clean off and I've always preferred glossy screens.

It is hard to capture on photo but it is tempered glass. So it's a lot smoother to touch and swipe on now and cleans up very easily! It also makes the colours pop a little bit more.

ElmpQnTh.jpg

d8uLkBrh.jpg

And lastly, the car hit 1100 miles earlier today so it was time for it's Running In service:

wLjioSkh.jpg

Hyundai do not actually ask you to do this, they only state that you should take it slow for the first 600 miles instead.
That said, I know a lot of sports cars that have a 1200 mile RIS and advise Oil and Oil filter change, so I decided to follow that advice for the sake of £50 worth of parts.

I shall be using:
- Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2 C3 0w-30 (as per Hyundai's manual)
- Genuine Oil filter and washer

jT2AtCdh.jpg

Was lucky enough to be able to borrow a ramp to do this, which also allowed me to have a peak underneath:

zPyPQwsh.jpg

u1cxALih.jpg

reUsZuFh.jpg

There is is a cutout for the oil filter and sump plug, and pretty much any other key service area you would need to access (gearbox/diff oil drain ect.)

The exhaust looks like something an aftermarket company would make! Everything looks and feels well built.

Car took around 4.3l of Oil:
0VczxOIh.jpg

Got more things coming in due time, thanks for reading :)

SK

Back