• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

SK-R's Hyundai i30N Performance

I like the 86, not a bad looking car. I’ve driven a couple too, whilst they feel a little under powered they’re still great fun. Much like an mx5 in some ways. There’s quite a few FI bolt on kits knocking around now for a little extra umph, I bet they’re fun then.

Master mechanic, same as calling people who work in apple genii. Embarrassing. May I ask is your car a track car, daily or a mix of both?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Just came back from the Stealers. Convo went something like this:

Service Manager: Hello sir, hope you had a good Christmas. How may I help you?

Me: My vehicle was here for some work just before Christmas. It would appear that the undertray was not fitted *shows picture on phone*. Where is it?

Service Manager: Ah I see, not to worry this is most likely how it's meant to be. Some high performance vehicles do not have undertrays as they require more cooling

Me: ... What?

Service Manager: Let me just double check that with the tech department

5 mins later

Service Manager: Well this was embarrassing, yes it is meant to have one and it is currently sat next to the Master Mechanic's toolbox. Would you like this fitted now?

Me: yes...

FML...

I refer to my statement a few posts above :lol:

Seriously disappointing, or what?

Pity that you appear to have ended up with a lemon supported by a bunch of complete prats.

Master mechanic, same as calling people who work in apple genii. Embarrassing. May I ask is your car a track car, daily or a mix of both?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

The car was a daily, with intention to go on track with it since it has warranty on all major tracks as well. There are many people who have not had a single issue with these and track them regularly, but there have also been a good chunk who have had major problems. It seems like the QC department has been let go :)

It would depend what your goals are on an 86 if you want to get one. Haven't owned a type r but have a soft spot for the fd2 hence I'm always lurking around the forum but that's a different story (quietly on the look out for one).

BUT, I do have an 86 with a bolt on turbo running approx 270bhp. I have the option of going up to 285bhp but decided to be a little conservative. The car is definitely a handful.

The turbo I have is mounted under the engine so you wont see much but here's a picture of my engine bay. Very oem looking:3
be64126b75989ab8bcce934828f11928.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Having worked at Toyota I was going to say the GT86 is a great car if a little underpowered from stock.

Though being breathed on by Fensport - would be better ;) as above

I used to drive a GT86 demo and it sounded amazing - totally not stock - but a proper head turner and attention catcher

Ref the Hyundai I am as disappointed as the OP to hear of your woes and troubles/ quality issues

I had this down on my shortlist as a "next car"

Think I might go for a FK2 / FK8 instead.
Just because it begins with a 'H' doesn't mean it's a HONDA. ;)

:(

It would depend what your goals are on an 86 if you want to get one. Haven't owned a type r but have a soft spot for the fd2 hence I'm always lurking around the forum but that's a different story (quietly on the look out for one).

BUT, I do have an 86 with a bolt on turbo running approx 270bhp. I have the option of going up to 285bhp but decided to be a little conservative. The car is definitely a handful.

The turbo I have is mounted under the engine so you wont see much but here's a picture of my engine bay. Very oem looking:3

That is the sort of thing I was looking at as well, picking up a low mileage 17/18 plate car and doing a Stage 1 turbo kit. I had a look on Fensport's site and they give a pretty good description as to what each kit has and what else is recommended, however I believe the quoted price for those items is parts only and not fitting right?

I really want another RWD car again, after have 3 FWD ones in a row I want something to be able to slide around in when the mood hits. I quite like those blue editions with performance pack as well, seems like they come with Brembos and different wheels as standard

image169.ashx

Last edited by a moderator:
The performance pack is worth the money if you are planning forced induction or track use. The prices dont include fitting or mapping.

A general overall cost of getting it done at fensport with the AVO turbo kit is around £7500. This includes a new clutch, mapping, and switching over all fluids.

However, wait til black friday and this can be done for a little under £6000. There are other forced induction kits around on this platform but this is the general price youd be looking at.

Its alot of money to think about but I had clear ideas of what I wanted doing before buying this car.

Last edited by a moderator:
The performance pack is worth the money if you are planning forced induction or track use. The prices dont include fitting or mapping.

A general overall cost of getting it done at fensport with the AVO turbo kit is around £7500. This includes a new clutch, mapping, and switching over all fluids.

However, wait til black friday and this can be done for a little under £6000. There are other forced induction kits around on this platform but this is the general price youd be looking at.

Its alot of money to think about but I had clear ideas of what I wanted doing before buying this car.

Thank you, that was very helpful! I shall keep it in mind when pricing these up.

First I need to get rid of the i30N because technically if I was to go by the book, the dealership can offer me a replacement brand new car (MY20) instead of outright rejection/refund. We'll see what happens.

Just reading through this thread (very well written by the way, and you clearly know your stuff). Gutted for you and about the i30 as it too was a potential for me (replacing my daily not my track car) and i always thought Hyundai would be high quality - or am I getting them confused with Kias? (probably by the sounds of this thread!)

Just reading through this thread (very well written by the way, and you clearly know your stuff). Gutted for you and about the i30 as it too was a potential for me (replacing my daily not my track car) and i always thought Hyundai would be high quality - or am I getting them confused with Kias? (probably by the sounds of this thread!)

Don't let my experience sway you away from the brand, for every 5 problematic cars there are probably 100 that have no issues whatsoever.

As with all new cars these days, QC is very neglected compared to 10-15 years ago when cars were built to last and checked over properly during PDI's.

Hyundai and Kia are the same thing btw, many parts in the engine bay have both logos on them.

Just luck of the draw it seems.

Don't let my experience sway you away from the brand, for every 5 problematic cars there are probably 100 that have no issues whatsoever.

Just luck of the draw it seems.

Well said. There are a few M140i owners with problems such as steering rack having to be replaced, random rattles, limp home coming on at times etc. Mine's had zero issues whatsoever in the 10k miles I've done in it.

That is lovely! Good read. Interesting points about the competitors that you tested.
I've got a stock FN2 and a few colleagues have the M135. I know they are WAY quicker, I just love the character of the FN and the interaction needed to get it to go!

Whats the i30N like on fuel?

That is lovely! Good read. Interesting points about the competitors that you tested.
I've got a stock FN2 and a few colleagues have the M135. I know they are WAY quicker, I just love the character of the FN and the interaction needed to get it to go!

Whats the i30N like on fuel?

Pretty bad lol. Then again I can't really bring myself to drive it in Eco or Normal modes, so it's always in N or N custom, burbling away. I get an average of 21 mpg.

If you do drive it at 60mph in Eco mode on the motorway, you ll get 40 but it's torture for me.

Back