• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

SK-R's Hyundai i30N Performance

Really really nice!!! I know if the wife had the money she would buy one of these tomorrow but in the blue :)

For the cost, I think changing bulbs to LED is one of the best things to do with any car. I tend to do it with every car we have.

Looking forward to seeing what more you do dude!

Went for an early morning blast with some fellow petrolheads from an app called Roadstr. It's pretty cool you guys should check it out, but anyway here are some photos:

FHs5SCDh.jpg

rKSi0sFh.jpg

lhJWRD3h.jpg

y27ngAnh.jpg

v4ZNwQTh.jpg

tDk6fXEh.jpg

yOwLhtWh.jpg

That GTR was a Litchfield Stage 4.25 (650-700hp) and decatted, let's just say there was plenty of flames to be seen and keeping up with it on the straights was out of the question. However I was surprised how close we were on the twisties when traffic allowed.

Got the car booked for full detail next weekend so looking forward to that. 2500 miles and going :)

TBH I'd be taking it pretty easy on wet roads in a 650-700hp GTR :lol:

It gripped quite well actually, he did manage to do a drift coming out of the roundabout which no doubt caused some brown pants moment but it was pretty epic to see :D

Awesome car, I want one.

I find these an intriguing prospect- look good, sound great, seem to go well and all for a reasonable amount of cash. I’ll be interested in how you get on with it over time. Might be jumping ship myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess it's time I should update this thread.

It was finally time to get the car detailed and protected, this included the following:
- Hand washed then rinsed, all panels then clayed fully before a final rinse down.
- Panels then inspected fully before a single stage machine polish.
- Cquartz 3.0 then applied throughout with Reload applied on top.
- Wheels and calipers then coated followed by H2GO on the front glass areas.
- They also applied interior goodies including Gtechniq i1 on the fabric, C6 on the dash and Carbon collective leather sealant.

Here are some pictures of the work undertaken by Definitions Detailing (https://www.definitionsdetailing.co.uk/)

1qU89YMh.jpg

7nk5rFDh.jpg

8QmSMEAh.jpg

nW4TGeth.jpg

Paint wasn't too bad but still noticeable before/after shots:
92ilIyEh.jpg

zWssl4nh.jpg

ErSgRaAh.jpg

PuWX6FAh.jpg

ls7ZhCQh.jpg

2TjUIk7h.jpg

And finally coating time:
CYoqv67h.jpg

XhZTdrYh.jpg

Jnn0YeTh.jpg

After leaving it to cure for 24 hours, we took some pics outside a few days later:
uB2ARZrh.jpg

rjs7azZh.jpg

Dy0RC5zh.jpg

TVPDLTyh.jpg

0uPsbzgh.jpg

3PYoyiWh.jpg

DDw852sh.jpg

And a few snaps with a filter:
zFspVISh.jpg

IPwaRvmh.jpg

fR7t58hh.jpg

Oh and I got a carbon keyring :D
UyzzZHnh.jpg

That's all for now, the car is currently with the dealer for a few issues thankfully being done under warranty. I will do a write-up on those a bit later on.

Very nice. Had mine professionally detailed 2 years ago and protected with cquartz 2.0.
Just keep it topped up with reload every 2-3 months

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I was not planning on making this update yet, since I am still waiting for things to settle in place but here we go.

So far you have seen pictures of the car and generally my good experience with it. What I have not talked about it the absolute hell I've had to endure when it comes to Quality Control and the type of Service received at the dealership I got it from. Without boring anyone to death, I will try and summarise my experience below:

Upon Collection of Vehicle: 20 miles on dash
- Rear seat bench has manufacturing defect where the weather is creasing up. They replaced it with another seat from a demo car they had just taken delivery of.
- Rear bumper misalignment with rear quarter (passenger side). TI was told this is "normal" and a result of mass production? lol

3 Weeks into ownership: 800 miles on dash
- Steering rack creaking/knocking after a drive, mainly at low speeds/stationary This was fixed by taking the steering rack out of the vehicle and re-greasing parts of it with the correct spec grease
- Steering wheel vibration at 80-85mph (goes away under or over that). Car had 4 wheel alignment, balance and since it has been cured.
- 1st to 2nd gear change can be difficult at times Apparently normal since car is too "new" and gearbox hasn't beaded in...
- 6th gear is difficult to engage quite often. The 5th to 6th movement gets stuck and requires returning the gear shifter back to 5th and re-engaging the clutch before repeating the gear change again. After that, it is successful, this is a widely reported issue on earlier models. Apparently normal since car is too "new" and gearbox hasn't beaded in...
- Gear shifter linkage creaks when moving left (towards 1st/2nd gear) from the neutral position. Fixed by greasing it up with correct spec grease.
- Weird pitting/overspray on some of the alloys This was not looked at
- Floor makes odd creaking noises, on both drivers and passenger side. It's as if something is not attached properly. This is another normal thing apparently and caused by the "layers of insulation" underneath. Not had a car that has done this before and all my cars had some sort of sound deadening? lol
- When in Normal mode and in Neutral the car vibrates my seat quite a bit and sometimes feels like stalling (Revs sit at 800 ish), when put in Sport mode this is gone since revs go up to 950 on idle. Normal...

2 months into ownership: 2800 miles on dash
- Still have difficulty engaging 6th gear. It is mostly notchy but sometimes completely refuses to engage unless I re-select it. Same issue as the one reported in my first 3 weeks of owning it, now they finally accept that it's a fault and have been advised by Hyundai Technical to change 5th and 6th gear synchros
- A lot of resistance when trying to engage 2nd, 4th and 6th gears. Faulty shifter cables, they replaced both
- Squeaky gear shifter when moving left to right, previously marked as fixed by the dealership. I presume they re-greased this again? Not sure, but it's not doing it now.
- Alloy wheel overspray/pitting damage This was now looked at and identified as being undercoat overspray, it was cleaned off the alloys that were affected. Not sure what they used?

After being in the dealership for 3 weeks to resolve the above, it comes back with misaligned shifter cables, so can’t hold gear properly in R, 1, 2, 3 and 5. So it wen't back for further 5 days of work (more like 40 mins). It was collected yesterday and just like I thought, they had not adjusted the cables properly. Shifting is now smooth as ever.

That said, it is not trouble free again. My current problems are as follows: 3501 miles on dash
- Loud knock/bang coming from the front passenger side, feels like a suspension component or an arm is not bolted correctly. This occurs when the vehicle accelerates hard or brakes hard on uneven surface. I presume this is a result of their work since it did not have this before the gearbox had to be rebuilt with new 5/6 synchros?
- I have also noticed quite significant whistling noise, almost like a whine from the engine compartment. It happens in Neutral as well as while driving and mainly noticeable between 1400 and 2200 revs.

Bare in mind this is my 2nd i30N performance! The first was MY18, this was MY19.

So yeah with the above mentioned, I have done the following:
- Told the dealer my intention on rejecting the vehicle as it is not fit for purpose and constantly suffering faults, some caused by the vehicle itself and some by the sloppy service I have received.
- Logged a claim with Hyundai UK on 17.12
- Logged a claim with Hyundai Finance on 19.12

So I guess now the wait begins, I am hoping to push for rejection and full refund/reversal of sale. Based on what I read about consumer law, I should be covered but we'll see what they come back with.

On a positive note, I want to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a prosperous and healthy New Year!

Sorry to hear this and you seem fairly switched on so can't see there being any issues getting it returned.
Are these common issues? Very disappointing considering how much they are!
What would you be looking at getting instead?

Geez. That's a lot of problems in a short space of time and mileage.. don't let it ruin your Xmas man. Punt it and get yourself in an fk8 in the new year :cool: merry christmas

Sorry to hear this and you seem fairly switched on so can't see there being any issues getting it returned.
Are these common issues? Very disappointing considering how much they are!
What would you be looking at getting instead?

The gearbox related ones and the steering rack one are common enough yeah, I'd say 3-4 cars in every 20 have them, or at least the owners who are mechanically minded notice them. Not good at all to be honest!

I showed a clip of the whistling noise to a friend, he said it sounds like the Turbo... great.

:eek:mg:

Wasn't expecting you to post that :shock:

Nobody was expecting this mate, I have never had a brand new car before and this has left a very sour taste in my mouth. And sadly it is not brand specific either, a neighbour down the road has a 2018 BMW X5M (90k sports SUV) that has a major leak through its panoramic roof, that the dealer cannot find a fault with. He is 18 months into an agreement with a heavily problematic car during rain/cold season. I think I want an old car again haha!

Geez. That's a lot of problems in a short space of time and mileage.. don't let it ruin your Xmas man. Punt it and get yourself in an fk8 in the new year :cool: merry christmas

Haha I honestly would but I just cannot get over the looks of the FK8. I know it's a superior machine performance and build quality wise, but the rear end specifically just really puts me off it. Isn't there meant to be a revised one coming out soon?

just cannot get over the looks of the FK8. I know it's a superior machine performance and build quality wise, but the rear end specifically just really puts me off it.

It's taken me a couple of years to get used to the look of it :lol:

Have you driven one yet ?

You are right though...the back isn't pretty :eek:

I still might have to get a Black one to help blend in those awful fake plastic panels on the rear :p

Sorry to hear this. I must admit I’ve not seen anyone else have issues with these , though not looked properly.

Back