• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Supplying genuine Honda Parts is one thing.Getting them fitted is another.

I recently had a free health check on my 2015 fk2 civic type r and was told by my local Honda dealership that my rear discs were heavily lipped and my inner pads were 80-90% worn. The health check took around 20 mins so how on earth can you see the inner pads without taking the wheels off? As I'm sure they didn't. Anyway I'm going to get a 2nd opinion as I am very weary of main dealers re-upselling.I was quoted £308 for the job.
I costed up the parts from Cox Honda motor parts which came to £170.46 so all I needed to do was get them fitted by my local garage. So I rang and was told that they won't fit parts supplied by customers as if they fit them then they are liable if anything goes wrong with the parts and they cannot guarantee that the parts are genuine as there are cheap fake parts in circulation. So it looks like I will have to use my main Honda dealer for the job. I wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't an expensive job but having priced up the parts and add approx the 1hrs labour which would have been less than honda @ £90.00 would have saved me £48.00 plus which in my eyes is a considerable saving.Dont get me wrong I'm not a cheapskate but these jobs soon mount up. I just wonder if this is a common thing and I'm not versed with doing it myself. Members comments on the subject will be most welcome. Regards Fred.

why not go to that garage (or another one) and insist they fit genuine Honda parts?
Show them the costing from Cox and see if they can beat it AND get them to show you the packaging to prove what they fitted was the real deal.

yeah i had that "we only fit what we supply" quote from numerous garages when i got my b pipe, i eventually got a custom exhaust garage to fit it as they couldnt fabricate one cheaper than the one from tegiwa
most reputable garages would recognise cox honda parts as a genuine supplier
id go with wilmo on this, ask a garage to price match or beat your original quote for the genuine parts, and if you decide to go with it ask them to keep the packaging to ensure THEY arent fitting cheap fakes

Yeh I've since spoken, to them again and now know it's about them not making any money on the parts which I can get. I did suggest them ordering the parts themselves and putting something on for themselves which would still be lower than Honda. But the shutters went up.
I thought being a friend would make a difference but I suppose profit comes first and friends 2nd. They even came out with if the price came out a lot lower than Honda they might get investigated for not charging vat, which is utter tosh.
Regards Fred.

Sounds like an utter pillock!

Might as well go to Kwikfit!
i'm sure they would fit real honda if you insisted.
Or do you have an F1 autocentre near you - mine in Eastbourne has fitted ARB & other bushes that I supplied (I do get my tyres there as well)

it just sounds like they dont want your business

you would probably be cheaper buying the tools you need and doing it yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ-1a687jQo

Yeh 'cause they can't make much on the parts! I'm not experienced to do it myself and I would rather a well experienced mechanic do it. One thing's for sure once it's done they will last a long time as I cover 2000 miles a year and don't drive on the brakes. I retired in 2011 and the pads still had over 50% left in 2018 of my civic type s 1.8ivtec. The fk2 is a beast and takes a lot more stopping but should still last me..Many thanks for your input.
Regards Fred.

it just sounds like they dont want your business

you would probably be cheaper buying the tools you need and doing it yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ-1a687jQo

yes 'cause they can't make much on the parts! and so basically charge labour. one thing's for sure once they're done they'll last me for quite a few years with doing only 2000 miles a year. When I retired in 2011 I ran a Civic type s 1.8ivtec and in 2018 still had over 50% left on the pads.I'm not experienced at doing the work myself so would rather someone experienced doing the job. Thanks for your input.
Regards Fred. Oops I don't know what happened here the message seems to have got duplicated. Lol,

Last edited by a moderator:
Back