• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 FK8 overheating

I left foot brake when on it on the road, I tend to stamp on it. I have never been happy with brake feeling, perhaps it is down to driving non assisted cars and having a rock solid brake, the Civic always feels spoungy and lacks feeling, certainly on the initial bite.

Sorry, I should just add the reason I can't left foot brake with power on is because the ECU cuts the throttle as soon ad the brakes are touched.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I've been using my FK8 on track for a couple of years and haven't had an issues with overheating. Brands, Thruxton, Silverstone, Spa, The Ring and all ok. Only mods are Exhaust and Eventuri.

I've been using my FK8 on track for a couple of years and haven't had an issues with overheating. Brands, Thruxton, Silverstone, Spa, The Ring and all ok. Only mods are Exhaust and Eventuri.
I have not had overhearing issues on any UK circuit yet, I have not done Spa in my CTR yet (plenty of times in other cars), but I have done loads at the Ring on proper track days. When you say yours did not overheat at the Ring was it a TF session or a TD and were you one up in the car and what was the ambient temp?

Eddie you found anything yet to help? Did you try removing the engine garnishes?
Nah I did'nt Matt, but last time out at the Ring I went solo only and ambient temp was 12 - 14c and I only got 80% of max temp and a 15sec a lap better time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I am new to all this and getting tired of my FK8 engine management light coming on with the speed dial thing, it's had a new solinode and new turbo in last month so they have told me, but not more than a month later the light is back on, can't even say I drive it hard.. has anyone else had any issues like this ?

Hi I am new to all this and getting tired of my FK8 engine management light coming on with the speed dial thing, it's had a new solinode and new turbo in last month so they have told me, but not more than a month later the light is back on, can't even say I drive it hard.. has anyone else had any issues like this ?

I haven't heard of anyone with the mil light on, so many things it could be. Presume the car is standard? Perhaps give the car a good thrashing!

Oh dear mate, did you buy it brand new? So the turbo just failed? Sounds a bit of a duffer mate :(

I took my FK8 to Spa this weekend, it was an absolutely epic track day and the car performed amazingly.

The only problem was with overheating - the coolant temperature warning light would come on after 10 mins of hard track use. The car would then have reduced power until it cooled down again. It was 22 degrees Celsius at about 70% humidity - warm, but nothing crazy.

I've seen plenty of posts on Civicx, but their climate is far hotter than here. I can't find much about it on this forum - has anyone else had overheating issues in similar conditions? If so, how did you cure it?
and yet the FK2 has no issues in same conditions. either bumper causing lack of airflow, or theres a restriction in the coolant system. i mentioned it on a civicx thread about it being a thermostat problem but never saw an update if removing it made any difference.

Dreams whole callipers went ron burgundy due to the heat and some dude in America the same. He bought some brake pad shills - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU1oc6_Jo3Y
i thought i saw the yank (MBaxi) have girodiscs fitted the wrong way around? not sure if it was in that video or another one/fk8 track car FB group it was mentioned. yeah i've had calipers go to brownbo and coming up 3rd set of dust seals. The colour recovers even if the laquer doesnt.
I've some Stoptech high temp silicone seals coming in on monday so see how they fair next year on track. i've seen +25% temp handling over the OE rubber seals so i'm quietly confident they'll last.

I would have to disagree Matt, with good fluid and decent pads I have not had any braking issues the fully floating discs I use are also very good and have improved cooling over stock.

I have never once had smoking or faded brakes, even at Cadwell or Rockingham.

yep, the girodisc 2peice & CL pads i'm using performed faultlessly on track. zero pad fade, no pad transfer, and slight caliper colour change not worth mentioning. Yes i did run shims on this setup.
another league than pmu or PBS which neither cant cope with medium/full attack on track.

I left foot brake when on it on the road, I tend to stamp on it. I have never been happy with brake feeling, perhaps it is down to driving non assisted cars and having a rock solid brake, the Civic always feels spoungy and lacks feeling, certainly on the initial bite.
found that when i switched back to OE brembo disc/pads. real spongy compared to track brake setup and it's all down to the pads imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
and yet the FK2 has no issues in same conditions. either bumper causing lack of airflow, or theres a restriction in the coolant system. i mentioned it on a civicx thread about it being a thermostat problem but never saw an update if removing it made any difference.
The FK2 front grille does seem to have much larger inlets. The largest opening on the FK8 front bumper is the lower grille, and the intercooler takes up that opening completely. That leaves the thin upper opening to feed the entire radiator cool air, which doesn't seem like much at all.

Only had my FK2 a month and done a track day at Bedford last Saturday. OEM Power but installed PBS Pro race front Pads, ATE Top 200 fluid and braided hoses all round.
Brakes were great on OEM discs and OEM rear pads but PBS wear rate appeared quite high so may be more cost effective to buy a more expensive harder wearing pad in the long run.....suspect I'll struggle to get another day out of them.....im at Silverstone on 14th Dec.
My biggest concern is also temps atm, Oil went to 129oC on a very cold day so suspect I will see similar issues as mentioned here come the summer. A few experienced track dayers have suggested moving to a motorsport based 5/40 oil which will deal with temps of upto 135oC without any real concerns.....may try this at Silverstone.

Next steps in looking at vented bonnet and flow through the bonnet before exploring hardware like oil coolers.

Back