• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Does modifying the engine make much of a difference?

Hello, I have a standard EP3 that I have owned for 5 years.

Obviously in that time I am used to the performance, I really like the car so don’t want to change it so am considering the normal bolt on mods, K100/pro and a remap.

I see that people generally get around 230 - 240 BHP so my question is:

Does it really change the performance of the car- is the acceleration and torque increase really noticeable or just a bit better?

This might sound like an obvious question but I have driven stock so would like to know opinions from people that have driven both.

Thank you

I figure you've had a browse around already, but if not, consider handling first, performance later. Performance is a bottomless pit, you can always throw more money into the hole to extract smaller and smaller gains. If yours is a UK market EP3 then it could probably do with improvement to its handling: LSD, JDM rear ARB, after that you could take things further (brakes, suspension), or go for the power.

240bhp is a 20% increase and likely about as much as you're going to get out of an NA build without breaking the bank (and even then it'll cost you), you'll notice it, but you could get more for less by buying a different car if all you want to do is go fast in a straight line.

Mines at 231bhp with the oem cat and exhaust manifold. It does make a difference, car feels more urgent and pulls harder from 4k. I'm considering changing in the new year but \i'll probably regret it :D

Hey Mike, thanks for the reply.

Yes I’ve looked over the various options- fast road setup, coilovers, big brake kits etc.

I have also owned various other cars since having the EP3 including a Clio 182 Cup, Corolla TTE Compressor and an Impreza STI Prodrive Widetrack. They have all been great in their own way but the EP3 really got under my skin and has been with me for a long time.

Whilst I still love it I guess I am just ‘used’ to it so wanted to know if upping the power is like night and day or negligible whilst staying N/A

Thanks Flashy, that’s what I’m after really- more torque and acceleration (not fussed about top end as where would you use it)!
I hate the fact the VTec comes in at 5800 and would love it lowered.

In a straight line there is little difference pre and post mapped once an OEM car reaches VTEC, the difference comes in usability of the power. You'll end up with a wider powerband and you'll save on fuel as well as the mixture will be more lean.

It's a lot more useable on the roads up to 70mph where it's mostly going to be used.

Thanks for the responses

I guess I now need to decide if I modify mine or sell it and buy a one that’s had the work done.

Mine might be for sale in the new year. Cosmic grey 06 plate premier, recent clutch, timing chain etc. K100 and mods :whistle

Back