• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Blown Stereo in FK2

Hi all,

Not the first post or second after my newbie post that I want to make. I am hoping I can get some help? Done a search and couldn’t see anything relating to stereo.

On Saturday my stereo started playing up. When I started the car the stereo wouldn’t auto turn on. I had to press the power button to start the stereo up. I thought it was strange as I had never seen it do that before.

When I got home I turned the car engine off but I couldn’t get the car to power off completely. The stereo, headlights and top dash clock/stereo screen wouldn’t go off. I tried everything but it wouldn’t turn off completely.

I then tried to turn the stereo off and it wouldn’t respond. I held the power button down and it went off but made a horrible crackle noise through the speakers. It now won’t power back on at all.

I’ve checked the fuses under the passenger footwell and the stereo’s fuse number 5 is not getting power. The stereos red light flashes and the stereo lights up.

Does anyone have any ideas? I can’t find a wiring diagram anywhere online to see what powers up fuse 5. What I did find was people saying a replacement stereo can cost £2400.

The car is 5 months out of warranty I didn’t get offered an extended warranty only found out it was out of warranty when it went in last month for an engine code fault which ended up clearing itself and Honda couldn’t see why it came up.

Any help/advice or things to try much appreciated.

Derek

It's a new one to me,
Fuse 11 in the bay was the cause for a 9th gen civic owner over on civinfo, his system just switched off and lost imid as well, not the same issue but worth a look

It's a new one to me,
Fuse 11 in the bay was the cause for a 9th gen civic owner over on civinfo, his system just switched off and lost imid as well, not the same issue but worth a look

Thanks for the reply. When you say in the bay do you mean a fuse location under the bonnet? Will check out fuse 11 incase I’ll spend hours checking to save what could be a horrific Bill.

It’s booked in for Friday to get looked at and get it’s service. I never got offered an extended warranty for the car didn’t even appreciate it had ran out or would have considered one. Since owning I’ve had to get a rear light, alloy and spoiler replaced under warranty.

jeez, do they actually sell for £400?! even £2.4k new sounds stupidly priced when you consider a top end alpine or pioneer is £1500.

not sure how a fuse would cause the symptoms unless theres something whacky with backfeeding through another circuit.

given the weirdness of it, i'd pull the negative off the battery and let it all power down overnight. if it continues maybe some software bug - speak to dealer as software updates are free & should be done during service. (satnav updates are your responsibility though)

Did you get to the bottom of the problem

Thanks all for the messages sorry not replied sooner.

Honda have surprisingly been really good considering the car is out of warranty.

They removed the stereo and shipped it to Belgium to the stereos manufacturer. The stereo was checked over but they found no faults. It’s back now with a new software upgrade. Honda fitted it back in the car however it wouldn’t power up. This has all been done at Hondas cost as a good will gesture.

I’ve left the car with the garage to try figure out what’s up with it. They said the diagnostic check of the car and electrics was fine. I’ve reiterated that I’ve checked the stereos fuse with a meter and it’s not getting any power. I checked the fuses under the bonnet as well and fuse 11 seemed fine. Also tried leaving the car for a day with the battery disconnected but no joy. Honda said it might all be related to an issue with the stop/start.

Will keep you posted had hoped the stereo had failed and would have fixed it. I think this could take a while.

In case anyone comes across this on a search. Honda have seen stereos lock up and not power back up. By removing them from the car a few days seems to fix them. Just not in my case

Car now fixed cause was a relay failure.

Relay is under the drivers side in the fuse area which sends the power to fuse 5 under the glove box which in turn gives the stereo power. Car was dropped off at my house by garage so not been able to ask what relay it was. This might be handy for it happens to anyone else.

Thanks for the comments all.

That's good news and glad it wasn't an expensive fix,
What I don't get is why the dealer never checked the basics before shipping the stereo off to Belgium

Yeah that's pretty basic stuff. No power to the unit means check further back!

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

That's good news and glad it wasn't an expensive fix,
What I don't get is why the dealer never checked the basics before shipping the stereo off to Belgium

Sorry I’m rarely online.

I agree with you I told them at the start that I checked with a meter and could see power wasn’t getting to the stereos fuse so something was up before the stereo.

One thing they did say was the stereo is that expensive they wanted to check it was ok. But you would think a try of the relay first would have saved a load of pain.

Back