• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

5.1 vs 5.3 final drive - road car (no motorways)

Hi all,

As title really. I've searched and cannot find an answer even though there are numerous final drive threads already. Hopefully this will be a useful reference for others in the same boat as me.

So my EP3 is a purely road car and will be used at weekends only for short A road and B road blats. No other significant changes - intake and catback. Will leave stock manifold and cat in to keep it all legal and quiet. Considering a K100 too to get the most out of the breathing and midrange.

My question is when the box is opened to put my Quaife diff in I am considering a 5.1 or 5.3 final drive in. As the car won;t be used on the motorways 6th gear revs aren't really an issue but at the same time I don;t want to go deaf or cry at the discomfort of silly high revs all the time. I was going to get a 5.1 FD but concerned the difference will not be great from the stock 4.7 FD. Should I get a Spoon (Honda) 5.3 instead?

Looking forward to your input.

Hi all,

As title really. I've searched and cannot find an answer even though there are numerous final drive threads already. Hopefully this will be a useful reference for others in the same boat as me.

So my EP3 is a purely road car and will be used at weekends only for short A road and B road blats. No other significant changes - intake and catback. Will leave stock manifold and cat in to keep it all legal and quiet. Considering a K100 too to get the most out of the breathing and midrange.

My question is when the box is opened to put my Quaife diff in I am considering a 5.1 or 5.3 final drive in. As the car won;t be used on the motorways 6th gear revs aren't really an issue but at the same time I don;t want to go deaf or cry at the discomfort of silly high revs all the time. I was going to get a 5.1 FD but concerned the difference will not be great from the stock 4.7 FD. Should I get a Spoon (Honda) 5.3 instead?

Looking forward to your input.

I have a spoon 5.3 and my car is used daily and even been round Europe. It sits at about 4000rpm at 70mph which is fine noise wise.

I've got a 5.8 in mine with full solid fab system including 3 inch exhaust.

It's at 4.5k revs at 70mph.

It's not a daily but drove it to Belgium this year and noise wise it's fine. Can easily make a Bluetooth phone call in it.

I have a spoon 5.3 and my car is used daily and even been round Europe. It sits at about 4000rpm at 70mph which is fine noise wise.

Hi Simon - this is great to hear. My old EK4 sat at exactly 4000rpm in 5th at 70mph, and I used that daily on the motorway for 5+ years (stock gearing!).

Ok now that I've found someone who actually runs a 5.3 FD how would you describe this addition? Is it worth doing on an otherwise stock car? Will I notice a vast difference in acceleration? I'm hoping for instant response and for it to pull hard no matter what the rpm. Thanks mate

I've got a 5.8 in mine with full solid fab system including 3 inch exhaust.

It's at 4.5k revs at 70mph.

It's not a daily but drove it to Belgium this year and noise wise it's fine. Can easily make a Bluetooth phone call in it.

Hi Mebz. Good man! No half measures here I see! 5.8 must be savage on the roads. How would you describe the change?

I have an idea - I could either get the 5.1 FD and a JDM shorter 4th gear...

or get a 5.3 FD and a longer 6th!

Hi Simon - this is great to hear. My old EK4 sat at exactly 4000rpm in 5th at 70mph, and I used that daily on the motorway for 5+ years (stock gearing!).

Ok now that I've found someone who actually runs a 5.3 FD how would you describe this addition? Is it worth doing on an otherwise stock car? Will I notice a vast difference in acceleration? I'm hoping for instant response and for it to pull hard no matter what the rpm. Thanks mate
I had mine done when having LSD and new clutch fitted on a stock car apart from CAI. It was either these or k100, decided to go with the above and it was a noticeable difference in acceleration and well worth doing. I eventually got k100 fitted and that transformed the car again. Not sure where you are but if your close enough you are welcome to drive mine to see what it's like.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

I had mine done when having LSD and new clutch fitted on a stock car apart from CAI. It was either these or k100, decided to go with the above and it was a noticeable difference in acceleration and well worth doing. I eventually got k100 fitted and that transformed the car again. Not sure where you are but if your close enough you are welcome to drive mine to see what it's like.

You're very kind but I live miles away in Lancashire! Thank you though. Who knows. Maybe one day there'll be a meet up and we can meet. I have a
Quaife to put in soon so wanted to up the performance whilst box open. Does it feel torquier?

You're very kind but I live miles away in Lancashire! Thank you though. Who knows. Maybe one day there'll be a meet up and we can meet. I have a
Quaife to put in soon so wanted to up the performance whilst box open. Does it feel torquier?
Definitely, you won't be disappointed. I was meant to get a 5.1 fitted but supplier let me down and said I could have the spoon for the same price. Are you getting the work done at Grinspeed?

Definitely, you won't be disappointed. I was meant to get a 5.1 fitted but supplier let me down and said I could have the spoon for the same price. Are you getting the work done at Grinspeed?

I am indeed. Wanted to get all the bits ready and do it in one go. FRSU too.

Small world. Top end or bottom end?

My car is currently at grinspeed. When it's back and weather is dry, I can take you for a spin in it.

Haha! Indeed it is. Top end. Thank you man. That’s very nice of you.

My car has been SORN for a few months as I drive my diesel Golf to work. I got fed up of of putting wasteful miles on the EP3.

I don’t think I’ve seen your car around. What are you having done at Grinspeed?

Haha! Indeed it is. Top end. Thank you man. That’s very nice of you.

My car has been SORN for a few months as I drive my diesel Golf to work. I got fed up of of putting wasteful miles on the EP3.

I don’t think I’ve seen your car around. What are you having done at Grinspeed?
Clutch and flywheel.

I am indeed. Wanted to get all the bits ready and do it in one go. FRSU too.
Not used him yet, but my son is picking up a freshly imported DC5 in the next few weeks and is going to use Stevie and we have just bought an EP3 Track Car that's going to want a FD and plated LSD so we will use him for that too.

Not used him yet, but my son is picking up a freshly imported DC5 in the next few weeks and is going to use Stevie and we have just bought an EP3 Track Car that's going to want a FD and plated LSD so we will use him for that too.

What was your car like after you had the 5.3 FD fitted Simon?

A mate of mine has bought a 5.3 final drive for his car - will see what his is like soon!

Back