• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Front tyres - only 6k and done?!

Hi

Just popped into the local garage this morning for a puncture repair on what I thought was a slow puncture on one tyre.

Turns out both front tyres are wrecked and come away where the tread meets the side wall. Only just over 6k miles on the clock. Honda are telling me I can expect 4-7 from the OEM Conti's.

Is this normal?

Thanks

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

What’s the tread level like across the centre of the tyre? Whilst some people have indeed worn them out in that mileage they shouldn’t be falling apart like that. Maybe a tracking issue?

You did well mine lasted around 3.5k but didn't break down as you described, how ever I drove straight from dealer with 3 miles on the clock to get my alignment checked. Brand new cars notoriously have their alignment out.

Yeah I think mine need the alignment looking at for sure. The wear isn't even!

About right for the Contis- Michelin PS4S last maybe 50% longer, improve the ride a bit and offer similar levels of grip

Agree. I've never been 'hard' on tyres in any car (although i do 'enjoy' the Type R a lot!!) but at just over 5k I'm already looking to do the front-back swap on my Conti's.

I have always had good experiences on Michelin tyres so looking to wear out all four and replace in one go. I will say, however, that the Conti's have really impressed me with dry grip though. Less so with getting the power down in the wet, but coming from an F80 M3 I'm used to having to modulate my right foot in the wet!! That thing kept you on your toes.

Agree. I've never been 'hard' on tyres in any car (although i do 'enjoy' the Type R a lot!!) but at just over 5k I'm already looking to do the front-back swap on my Conti's.

I have always had good experiences on Michelin tyres so looking to wear out all four and replace in one go. I will say, however, that the Conti's have really impressed me with dry grip though. Less so with getting the power down in the wet, but coming from an F80 M3 I'm used to having to modulate my right foot in the wet!! That thing kept you on your toes.

Did exactly this -swapped and replaced all 4 Contis at the same time. PS4S is just as grippy, bit better in the wet, improve the ride a little and I reckon last at least 50% longer.

Did you come from the f80 to an FK8 ?

Did you come from the f80 to an FK8 ?

Yes I did. Fancied a hot hatch and a manual gearbox and the FK8 seemed the obvious choice. Don't regret it at all, you never really drove the F80. Not on the road...not properly. Sooooo much power and that feeling, in the wet that it may kill you at any point!!

Not saying i won't go back that way at some point you understand.... :whistle

Ended up going for some Bridgestone Potenza S001s, so far so good. Seem decent in the wet. Alignment was way out too!

It's the inside tread that takes a battering, 4k mine lasted.
Loads of tread to the eye but different story when the wheel is off, even surprised the tyre fitter

It's the inside tread that takes a battering, 4k mine lasted.
Loads of tread to the eye but different story when the wheel is off, even surprised the tyre fitter

Yep, changed mine over at a local independent yesterday and the insides were ravaged…. 9k though so ok with that. I had two contis stockpiled, but they are lipless so I don't like the way they look already...

What i wasn't happy about was looking out the window of the waiting room and seeing two young fitters sitting in my car, having a good look around it....I went out and they jumped out red faced, saying they thought I had left and they hadn't seen one before etc... least I had seat covers on.

It's excessive tyre grease you need to look out for, it's a little trick they use to hide any damage to painted alloys, happened to me but unfortunately it was 3 weeks before I washed the car again so no point chasing it up

It's excessive tyre grease you need to look out for, it's a little trick they use to hide any damage to painted alloys, happened to me but unfortunately it was 3 weeks before I washed the car again so no point chasing it up

spot on, think I fond a scratch today under a dollop of blue grease...can't prove it now...

I think it's safe to say merit tyres sunbury is off the list...

Done nearly 9k on OEM Conti's...showing a little more wear on the inside as most others have. May go for PS4's next and see how they compare. I think I would rather pay a little more and have my dealer change my tyres as I know they will be careful and it isn't a novelty having an R in the workshop so no kiddies climbing all over it.... :eek: They also know I am a fa^^y and cherish my baby... as we all do no doubt.. :lol:

Done nearly 9k on OEM Conti's...showing a little more wear on the inside as most others have. May go for PS4's next and see how they compare. I think I would rather pay a little more and have my dealer change my tyres as I know they will be careful and it isnt a novelty having an R in the workshop so no kiddies climbing all over it.... :eek: They also know I am a fa^^y and cherish my baby... as we all do no doubt.. :lol:

yeah i always go to Dream but they are chocca, and my tyres were 8 ball smooth...

Back