• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 How does the variable servicing work?

The manual says one thing, Honda dealers are saying another.
Should the car be serviced once a year, or is it once a year, plus the varied service? Or something else entirely.

Thanks all

Once a year. Plus whenever it asks for an A or B service, is my understanding. I find it stupid that it can tell you when it needs an oil change but not when it's due an annual service. Good job Honda

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

All depends if the variable servicing has been switched off,
Look on your imenu If its on you should be seeing A or B followed by numbers, if its off you will be seeing A or B with mileage counting down.

Been confusing since 2015 dealers were meant to leave them on with the Type R but many automatically switched them off as it was normal procedure.
12 month service for me and I slip in a 6 month oil change for peace of mind, my dealer is adamant it is activated but I know it isn't.

*EDIT*
If on variable you should be seeing a numbered service reminder,

If you're seeing A or B only with the mileage counting down then the car is on a yearly service

svrs.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
All depends if the variable servicing has been switched off,
Look on your imenu If its on you should be seeing A or B followed by numbers, if its off you will be seeing A or B with mileage counting down.

Been confusing since 2015 dealers were meant to leave them on with the Type R but many automatically switched them off as it was normal procedure.
12 month service for me and I slip in a 6 month oil change for peace of mind, my dealer is adamant it is activated but I know it isn't.

*EDIT*
If on variable you should be seeing a numbered service reminder,

If you're seeing A or B only with the mileage counting down then the car is on a yearly service

svrs.JPG

Thanks for this, so my car looks to be on the yearly service schedule, why are some cars on variable and some annual?
Should my car be on variable opposed to yearly, and can it be changed back?

All Fk's should be on variable but as said it was a cock up from the get go, variable wasn't new just for the FK's the difference was dealers were meant to leave the new Type R switched on when they carried out the PDI checks but because it was normal procedure for dealers to switch them off on other models they just followed it on, l
Lack of communication from Honda UK to dealers is more than likely the problem, dealers were also getting confused as there were owners turning up within weeks for oil changes because the car was telling them to, one chap from my dealership had 4-5 oil changes in a year because the car was showing it needed it, which then caused questions about the service plans, it got very very confusing.
It can be changed back but it's to late, it needs to be on from day one as it learns driving styles, if you're a low mileage driver then a yearly change is fine, I am but I still like to chuck in a 6 month change for peace of mind.

They wasn't prepared for the FK2 release and they basically rushed everything to meet pre order deliveries, pre orders got theirs 2-3 months before dealers got their demos hence the rarity of spotting one for sometime.
But being pre order had its downside we were without oil for many many weeks as it was specifically made for the new Honda engine and Castrol limited it for a while, tyres were also limited, additional extras wasn't available for some time, no mats etc,
I pre ordered a year in advance with full carbon packs and the carbon was still in production when the car was delivered, I think it was about a month or 2 later I had to take the car back for fitting

All Fk's should be on variable but as said it was a cock up from the get go, variable wasn't new just for the FK's the difference was dealers were meant to leave the new Type R switched on when they carried out the PDI checks but because it was normal procedure for dealers to switch them off on other models they just followed it on, l
Lack of communication from Honda UK to dealers is more than likely the problem, dealers were also getting confused as there were owners turning up within weeks for oil changes because the car was telling them to, one chap from my dealership had 4-5 oil changes in a year because the car was showing it needed it, which then caused questions about the service plans, it got very very confusing.
It can be changed back but it's to late, it needs to be on from day one as it learns driving styles, if you're a low mileage driver then a yearly change is fine, I am but I still like to chuck in a 6 month change for peace of mind.

They wasn't prepared for the FK2 release and they basically rushed everything to meet pre order deliveries, pre orders got theirs 2-3 months before dealers got their demos hence the rarity of spotting one for sometime.
But being pre order had its downside we were without oil for many many weeks as it was specifically made for the new Honda engine and Castrol limited it for a while, tyres were also limited, additional extras wasn't available for some time, no mats etc,
I pre ordered a year in advance with full carbon packs and the carbon was still in production when the car was delivered, I think it was about a month or 2 later I had to take the car back for fitting

Thank you for the response, much appreciated!

Update: I took the car to my local dealer, and they seem to think the variable servicing is on. The car was serviced less than 1000 miles ago. The service menu in the car is showing an A Service (Oil Change) is due in 7500 miles, they said this is in addition to the annual service and that it can change from 'A' to 'B' or the other codes.

That picture I posted came from a Honda employee so looks like you have one of the Confused dealers :),
There's owners out there that have the numbered service reminder and there's owners like ourselves that have the A&B service reminder, when you have the car yearly serviced and they reset the reminder it will then switch to B and start counting down again in miles (which always starts at 12,000) which to me is another sign it's on a yearly service

That picture I posted came from a Honda employee so looks like you have one of the Confused dealers :),
There's owners out there that have the numbered service reminder and there's owners like ourselves that have the A&B service reminder, when you have the car yearly serviced and they reset the reminder it will then switch to B and start counting down again in miles (which always starts at 12,000) which to me is another sign it's on a yearly service

Ah, so it could be that the dealer has not reset the A countdown, and thats why it is showing 7500 to the next service.
Interestingly the logbook shows the "A" "B" style countdown for variable servicing aswell, with some examples of the letter followed by the number, IE 'A2'. My log book has not been stamped to indicate variable servicing has been turned off.

In terms of the variable servicing, is it only the Oil change that is variable?

I think dotty was the only I know of that had his booked stamped, mine isn't either,
I've found the original thread from another forum (link below) which is worth going over as it might make more sense, apparently it's off on delivery and is meant to be activated at the dealership so I assume this is where the confusion came from.

https://www.civinfo.com/threads/more-variable-servicing-trickery.389009/#post-5141466

Thanks, so from that thread it seems clearer.

All Honda Turbo engines e.g. FK2-R, 10G 1.0 / 1.5 & FK8 have oil life monitoring if service reminder is not turned on.
This will show as 'A' service for an oil change and 'B' for oil and filter change, these should be carried out when indicated or at 12 month interval. None of the other service will be indicated and it will count down in miles whereas service reminder will countdown in days and include other service items e.g. Air filter, fuel filter or Brake fluid etc.

So essentially I can follow the annual servicing, plus the variable oil change via the 'A' service, and 'B'

Back