• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 FK2 Remap Numbers?

Been reading around and found this extract from Honda engineer Kakinuma-san who worked on the platform in regards to the power output of the engine.

You could be forgiven for expecting more than just a 10bhp boost from the Type R’s 2.0-litre inline-four, carried over from the FK2. With wider tyres and a newly developed chassis, Kakinuma-san confirms the FK8 “could take much more horsepower,” but lists two reasons why it doesn’t have any more.
Firstly, with the short development time between the FK2 and FK8, there hasn’t exactly been a lot of time to overhaul the VTEC turbo lump. Secondly, Honda reckons 316bhp is more than enough, essentially because the overall package is enough of an improvement to negate the need to pump a load more power through the front wheels.
“Since we could design the platform and the suspension from scratch, the lateral dynamics of the car have seen a huge improvement compared to the outgoing Civic Type R, A total output of 320PS is absolutely appropriate and sufficient in order to realise that increase in performance”. - Kakinuma-san
“Of course we will work on further development of the current engine, and that will result in a higher output, a better response”. - Kakinuma-san

I remember a friend saying that when he mapped his fk2 , yeah it was quick in a straight line but it took away a lot of its handling capabilities, ergo - he wished he’d just left it as Honda intended .. you know those guys that develop these cars.

Admittedly it was different with the NA cars as these needed more grunt , however IMO the turbo R’s don’t need a map , with a little intake and exhaust change they are the perfect blend.

Though the fk2 does need a Remus responder to help with the throttle.

Seems everyone on the Fk8 Facebook page wants to map there cars innit but haven’t actually done any homework or asked themselves why they want to map their car - probably for likes and follows , whilst we are on the subject - that page is jokes, but not nearly as bad as the fk2 one, which has really hit and all time low with its clientele. :lol:

I remember a friend saying that when he mapped his fk2 , yeah it was quick in a straight line but it took away a lot of its handling capabilities, ergo - he wished he’d just left it as Honda intended .. you know those guys that develop these cars.

Admittedly it was different with the NA cars as these needed more grunt , however IMO the turbo R’s don’t need a map , with a little intake and exhaust change they are the perfect blend.

Though the fk2 does need a Remus responder to help with the throttle.

Seems everyone on the Fk8 Facebook page wants to map there cars innit but haven’t actually done any homework or asked themselves why they want to map their car - probably for likes and follows , whilst we are on the subject - that page is jokes, but not nearly as bad as the fk2 one, which has really hit and all time low with its clientele. :lol:

Agreed, the car is extremely balanced in stock form. Does the Remus Responder mimmick the throttle response when in 'R' mode?

Yes. Eco mode on the remus responder gives the same feel as + R mode.. sport and race settings are mental.. Looking forward to the summer for these settings. A worthwhile and cheap mod imo

Yes. Eco mode on the remus responder gives the same feel as + R mode.. sport and race settings are mental.. Looking forward to the summer for these settings. A worthwhile and cheap mod imo

Does it actually decrease throttle input latency, or does it literally just amplify the throttle position. IE: 10% throttle becomes 30%

It reduces pedal lag. It has 3 setting with 3- and 3 + settings in each. Sceptics say just put your foot down harder. I've used it off and on and defo feel with it on I can accelerate faster
I got mine just before the crap Scottish weather set in so I've not used it much on sport and race mode yet but on eco it feels a lot more alive than without it

+R just before overtaking in the morning but after work it's straight on along with the Knight rider theme playing on the stereo

I actually had a Trans-Am GTA...same shape but fuel injected,manual gearbox & WS6 suspension :D

Much better than that carbureted auto that old "Tight Rider" was driving :lol:

Still love the show & theme tune though :smt023

[video=youtube_share;oNyXYPhnUIs]https://youtu.be/oNyXYPhnUIs[/video]

On a decent dry day you can put down most if not all of the 310bhp on offer. You can also put most of this down while cornering once you get the diff engaged :D Car really does not need more power. Other than straight line speed i can't see how more power would equal more fun? As ive said previously this is the first car ive no desire to upgrade from factory.

Its really is super capable , mines just coming up to 3 years old and im still finding new ways to get the best out of the car in various conditions and am often blown away at what it can acheive with me at the wheel.

365hp 525 Nm Turbotec remap. Car pull like a train, now i waiting when oem clutch say boom
49671663131_fc8c0ebc45_c.jpg
[/url]996BB8B5-0002-401C-ACBC-9415735133E8 by K L, on Flickr[/IMG]

I’ve seen quite a few older threads over the past few months alluding to the fact the K20c1 is already “maxed”.

I have to say I find that highly unlikely given that a high compression K20a, not originally developed with boost in mind was capable of pushing 450bhp on standard internals once the proper R&D was done by a reputable tuner. (Not some eBay tuning box you leave hanging out your OBD!)

Maybe this debate has died a death with the Honda quote given earlier in this thread but I’d have expected a minimum of the same 450bhp being achievable. Most likely a bit more.

There are obviously changes required to the fueling for this but given the boost is mapped correctly I don’t see why this couldn’t be relatively safe on internals. Gearbox and clutches are a different story! Obviously by relatively I mean you have to accept increased levels of wear and tear go with the territory.

I agree with the other comments made on here though, at least for now, about the car already being such a nice setup out the box.

My FK8 is probably the first (performance) car I’ve ever owned where I’m apathetic towards nearly all mods, with the exception of that Remus exhaust! I think it’s such a great car as it is.

One of the reasons I bought it was I started considering boosting my FN2 but this is like having that performance in a more capable and modern package. These are seriously quick cars from the factory!

Sure it would be nice to have bragging rights over the Focus RS in the bhp department but Honda have always shown it’s what you do with the power you have which counts. The track is where this car shows it’s true colours, not the traffic lights.

It’s why I continue buying Tyoe R over the herds of Audi and BMW. My work car park literally looks like a BMW dealership. It’s great to be a little more unique.

Back