• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

NGK spark plugs, use torque or turns? Uneven torque between cylinders

Hi, I have just done spark plugs change on my FN2 type R, I brought the NGK spark plugs and NGK suggest no copper grease as they have coating, do 1/16 turn by hand then turn 1/2 to 2/3. I have also checked the torque on service mannual which is 18N/m and I have a torque wrench so I think it is a good idea to use it. So I decide to tight them a bit more than 1/2 turn with torque wrench incase I over torque it.

Those two on the 1st & 2nd cylinder(driver side) goes pretty tight after 1/2 but torque wrench didn't click so it seems okay. For the 3rd cylinder, it click just about reaching 1/2 so not too bad. Then the one on the 4th cylinder click at 1/4 turn, which is very odd. I just give it a little bit more turn (1/16-1/8) and the torque feels similar to the 1st and 2nd one so I left it. Has anyone seen this problem before and should I still turn to 1/2 turn? I check the thread on the engine and they all seems clean, the 4th cylinder has a bit more carben deposit on the piston.

I am wondering as NGK said their plugs can be tighten just by turns, if people do it without torque wrench will the pluge be damaged in this case?

Back