• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 heating problem

Hi All. My FN2 had a big service done at an Indi last week. However, since the coolant was drained and refilled with new, the interior heating is nowhere near as it was. I have a 25 mile commute to work and back every day, and although the engine gets a good workout, getting hot air into the cabin now is a struggle.

What have they done wrong? broken the heater core or thermostat? I've not had a heater issue with a car since driving Ford heaps in the late 80's & early 90's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be an airlock on the coolant system which is preventing the heater matrix filling. Thermostat could be a good shout though.

Is taking it back to them not an option, as they should put it right, or are you after fixing it yourself?

Hi Loxy. Yes taking the car back to the garage is the only option really. I had hoped to sort it myself by running it for 15-20 mins at home with the rad cap off, but this has had only limited success.

Spoken to the garage and it's going back in on Thursday morning before I go to work. They said that sometimes these can be a 'right pain' to get the air completely out and it may take up to an hour. At least the engine shouldn't be affected by it.

Hi Loxy. Yes taking the car back to the garage is the only option really. I had hoped to sort it myself by running it for 15-20 mins at home with the rad cap off, but this has had only limited success.

Spoken to the garage and it's going back in on Thursday morning before I go to work. They said that sometimes these can be a 'right pain' to get the air completely out and it may take up to an hour. At least the engine shouldn't be affected by it.

To be fair running it with the cap off was going to be my suggestion. At least they can leave it running in the garage without some toe rag running off with your car...

Oh I make sure I'm sat in the car if I'm just leaving it running for 20 mins.

Anyway, I took it back in early January, and they had a few hours to look at it and topped up the coolant FOC. It still takes a wee bit longer than it previously did to get the heater up to temp, but on the whole it's better than in December.

Back