• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hondata/CPLRacing reflash for EP3 ECU

Hi

I have had my 2005 EP3 for 6 months now.

Other than the sticky rear brake caliper, I'm going to change all 4 over Christmas, it is now in great order!

It is on standard springs and shocks with adjusters to allow the frsu.

The boom of the cat back is gone and a standard Honda exhaust has made things much more civilised.

I also removed the AEM V2 as it lost low down pull in return for a nasal bark in VTEC.

It drives much better in standard form save for the power/torque dip as VTEC arrives. It's also hard to time gear changes near the rev limiter to keep it spinning above the power dip each time.

So, as the car is standard, and won't be getting any engine mods, does anybody have experience of the Hondata/CPL reflash? Is it worthwhile considering the lack of mods?

K100 and remap on a standard car looks to be overkill otherwise.

Any suggestions much appreciated!!

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Do a search, I've answered this a few times previously. To cut a long story short. No. The map isn't great and general driving the car does suffer. Cold start for example was horrendous and part throttle not much better.

I'd use it as a temporary measure until you can get a full remap done, if you don't intend to then I really wouldn't bother. But I would say that a remap really does transform the car. Peak figures won't be that impressive, but you'll gain around 50bhp at certain rev ranges which is very usable power.

See my recent dyno chart for example. Red is standard map with all the bolt on inlet exhaust etc. Black is after mapping. Huge difference in how the car drives, even though headline power increase wasn't massive, 210whp to 225whp from memory.

Hope this helps.
c6cfcf560a8f85fce5a9d0d75b44a8c2.jpg

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

Hi Norv

Sorry about being lazy in the "search" department!

You've told me all I need to know.

Please can I ask, does getting the K100 and a re-map on a standard car get the same mid range improvements?

To me, logic suggests that breathing mods would have most effect at higher rpm due to greater airflow requirements, so mid range gains should be there, but I really know nothing.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Steve,

I wasn't meaning to say you should have searched, merely being lazy and pointing you to the information I've provided previously.

I'm sure I've seen similar mid range gains, probably not quite so much, when the charts have been compared with fewer breathing mods.

You might be better speaking to who you plan to tune the car, I can recommend J Cal. They might have some numbers or dyno sheets to show what you can expect.

As always, whether it's worth it or not is entirely down to opinion.

I hope this helps!

Hi Norv

Thanks again for the help!

I'm in Manchester so if I decide to look into it further, I think people around here use TDI North or Grinspeed?

It looks to be a bigger investment so will have to think about it though.

Thanks again.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Tdi North get very mixed reviews. Personally I've used j cal twice now and can't fault his work. He does travel up to tegiwa a few times a year, I'm not sure if that's much better for you?

I'm sure he'd be happy to give you potential power figures etc though.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do, there might be someone local to you that's been mapped to give you an idea of what to expect?

Cheers,
Mark

Hi Mark

I did search, your right!

Tegiwa are not too far, also heard EFI in Runcorn do a good job.

It'll be New Year before I get to thinking about this now.

I'll ask J Cal and EFI what they think can be done with a standard car and K100. Better check the timing chain too, on 64k miles now.

Thanks again for your help!

Cheers

Steve

You won't go far wrong with either of those two Steve.

They're both more than capable of answering any questions you will have.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Back