• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Can't Service My FN2!

Hi everybody!
(Hope I'm posting this in the right place!)

New FN2 Type R owner here with a bit of a pickle!

I purchased the car from a dealer (the car is in great condition, everything works, a few minor asthetic/cosmetic issues only) the car is an 08 model year with 85K miles on the clock.

The previous owner had the car for 3 years and did 1K miles a year only and never had the car serviced. The dealership did say they serviced the car when it was sold and it does have a service stamp...HOWEVER...when checking fluids I saw that the Oil and coolant where low. For my peace of mind I bought all genuine Honda service bits (oil & filter / air filter / pollen cabin filter / spark plugs & new coolant) to do a full service.

I believe the dealership service stamp is hogwash because when I got under the car all of the 5 bolts to the inspection panel where rusted on SOLID and the air filter was rather minging. How could it have just recently been serviced?!

I tried to remove one of the inspection bolts for the undertray to get to the Oil plug and filter and it snapped right off :( all the rest are looking like they will snap right off too ( I tried heating them and using penetrating oil to no avail)

I've since ordered the genuine bolts and replacment clips for the undertray, my question is, if the bolts cant be removed and they do indeed snap off, will i be able to still remove the cover? and how would i go about replacing the clips and bolts that ive purchased if the old rusted ones are snapped inside?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated! I have all the bits and pieces, I just need to be able to gain access to everything and be able to fit the new bolts and clips if the old ones do snap so i can remount the undertray panel.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Jonathan O

If they snap off leaving the thread of the bolt still in i would just drill them out of the clips as you said you were replacing the clips anyway.

Most people take the full undertray off as the fixings rust and then snap and you need to replace them...

Can't say about the filter, they do get dirty but not after 1k really.

It doesn't sound too much like your problem.
Id be taking back to the garage you brought from and telling them to service it as expected.

Thanks for the replies guys, in the end 4/5 bolts for snap and I had to drill them out. But at least it has new clips and bolts!

I'd have got back in touch with the garage and asked the questions.

As Loxy says, a lot of the time garages remove the whole under tray.

Air filters are every 25k, technician may have checked mileage and just left it.
I had a CR-Z from a dealer and very shortly after buying it I took out the panel filter and yes it was black and minging, but it was <25k since its last change.
So for £14 I bought a genuine one and lobbed it in.

True, but I honestly am of the type that believes if you want something done right you do it yourself :)
Not to mention I thoroughly enjoy working on my car (although I hate finding out things like that).

Back