• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 EP3 Oil Leak

Hi,

I have an oil leak on my EP3. I was just wondering from the photos below if anyone knew the possible culprit?

Just another question, is it possible to cross-thread an oil filter? The reason I ask is after my last service I noticed straight away I had an oil leak. I took the car back to the garage the following day and they confirmed the oil leak was just from taking the old filter off prior to replacing with the new filter and oil.

I monitored the leak and all seems okay and then i forgot about it. The car has been using more oil than normal since the service and I can only assume this is down to the leak. Prior to the service I have never had an oil leak and its never used as much oil as it does now. I am wondering if the oil filter was cross-threaded and not sealed properly hence the leak?

Here are the photo's..

Attachments

• IMG_3147.jpg
    IMG_3147.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3148.jpg
    IMG_3148.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3149.jpg
    IMG_3149.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll try and give everything a good clean and then try and find where the source is.

Failing that I will take it to a garage to find the source. My service is during next month so I’m due a new filter and oil change...

Any idea what the black pipe is next to the oil filter? Seems pretty covered in oil...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's quite common for the filter area to be wet with oil after an oil change, it's near impossible to remove it without some spillage, but if it's started loosing/using oil have you noticed any oil under it? (best way to check is put clean paper or cardboard under it overnight) this would prove a leak, what oil did the garage put in it, if it's cheaper oil (non synthetic quality oil) it maybe the reason it's now using oil if there's no spots of oil underneath it.

There a oil marks on the drive. I might still put some card down to check the amount its losing.

In regards to the oil, I supply my own for each service and have always used Titan Race Pro S 5 / 40

If the area above the filter is wet it could be the vtec solenoid or gasket, it sits up above the oil filter.

Here you go mate.

I think that’s just a breather pipe but good shout from Flashy about the vtec solenoid gasket, best thing to do is clean as best you can all around the area with degreaser and then see if you can visibly notice the leak!

I think that’s just a breather pipe but good shout from Flashy about the vtec solenoid gasket, best thing to do is clean as best you can all around the area with degreaser and then see if you can visibly notice the leak!

Silly question, but does the breather pipe pass oil through it?

Good shout, I’ll give everything a good clean and report back.

As long as the oil level is fine, am I safe to carrying on using the car for the next couple of weeks before I can find the fault or take to a garage?

Back