• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

4-2-1 manifold with a cat instead of flexi?

Hey,

Im looking at the Tegiwa/Toda exhaust manifold for my EP3 and was wondering if you guys think its possible to weld in a cat instead of the fleix? And maybe using some spring bolts to allow some movement?

Anyone done the same thing?

Thanks in advance!

It has been done by a member on here from Germany.

https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?91339-Made-in-Germany-My-Rotrex-d-EP3

Dont know of any being done here in the UK or how reliable etc it is come MOT time/ daily driving.

It will void any warrenty you may have with a new 421 and I wouldnt pay all the money for the Toda if chopping it about.

Interesting, that manifold looks like a Tegiwa FN2 manifold. The thing is with the manifolds for EP3 if I put a cat on it there won't be any flexi. And from what I know, that's a problem :/

That is the EP3 421 under close inspection not the FN2, looks like they have added the flexis and the cat.

I suppose with a bit of fabrication it could be done but factoring in the cost of the manifold plus cat, flexis and someone to make it up for you (if you can't do it yourself) you got to ask would it be worth it?
There isn't much option on the EP3 for a sports cat, there was the Mugen but that was expensive and I believe its discontinued now.

There is the Piper that gets mixed reviews come MOT time and Im sure there is a Solid Fab version now too.

Other option is a manifold and cat from a DC5 or keeping the stock type header with a sports cat, I'm sure Japspeed do one.

Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk

That is the EP3 421 under close inspection not the FN2, looks like they have added the flexis and the cat.

I suppose with a bit of fabrication it could be done but factoring in the cost of the manifold plus cat, flexis and someone to make it up for you (if you can't do it yourself) you got to ask would it be worth it?
There isn't much option on the EP3 for a sports cat, there was the Mugen but that was expensive and I believe its discontinued now.

There is the Piper that gets mixed reviews come MOT time and Im sure there is a Solid Fab version now too.

Other option is a manifold and cat from a DC5 or keeping the stock type header with a sports cat, I'm sure Japspeed do one.

Yeah, looks like the EP3 version under closer look. Will probably cost aloooooot to do all that work to be honest.

I've looked at the Solid Fab verison but I think its a bit pricey with the cat included. My "best" option would then be the K-Tuned version and weld in a cat to the test pipe and call it a day.

TBH most manifolds with cat are coming in pricey, the Piper is like £700-£800 new, the Solid fab one more like a grand.

I would find a 'friendly' MOT tester and decat it lol.

TBH most manifolds with cat are coming in pricey, the Piper is like £700-£800 new, the Solid fab one more like a grand.

I would find a 'friendly' MOT tester and decat it lol.

Yeah, that's true. They are really expensive!

The thing is I live in Sweden. So if I get stopped by a cop with a de cat I will get something called "Registreringsbesiktning" in Swedish :) That means I will need to put the car back to stock (completely stock) and then take it through a MOT. I dont feel like taking that risk to be honest therefore I'm looking at the cat option.

Fair enough lol, they are trying to clamp down here in the UK too.

I've been contemplating this as it is a Tri-Y design which delivers good midrange from past experience on a B18C engine, but mainly because there is the option of a high flow sports cat.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1320-Performance-Rsx-Type-s-Tri-Y-Race-header-high-flow-cat-DC5-ep3-base-rsx/221844698044?hash=item33a6f973bc:g:IyoAAOSwjVVVwYhE

I will probably buy a K-tuned exhaust manifold and the cat from 1320 performance. It's unfortunate that there aren't a lot of different options to choose from if a cat is needed :/

I will probably buy a K-tuned exhaust manifold and the cat from 1320 performance. It's unfortunate that there aren't a lot of different options to choose from if a cat is needed :/

Exactly the same situation I’m in. I don’t want to lose the cat. If the 1320 cat fits the K-Tuned manifold then that’d be awesome. Isn’t the K-Tuned also a Tri-Y and more or less the same as the 1320 header?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly the same situation I’m in. I don’t want to lose the cat. If the 1320 cat fits the K-Tuned manifold then that’d be awesome. Isn’t the K-Tuned also a Tri-Y and more or less the same as the 1320 header?

Yeah, same here! I asked 1320 and they said they had 2 customers fit their cat on a K-tuned manifold and the fitment was good, no problems at all.

The K-tuned is also a Tri-Y and the PLM, 1320 and K-tuned manifolds are basically the same but I think the 1320 manifold is slightly worse than the other two.

Yeah, same here! I asked 1320 and they said they had 2 customers fit their cat on a K-tuned manifold and the fitment was good, no problems at all.

The K-tuned is also a Tri-Y and the PLM, 1320 and K-tuned manifolds are basically the same but I think the 1320 manifold is slightly worse than the other two.

Ok got you. I’m unsure which one to go for myself. Just want the fitment to be good.

On a side note I was sure I’d heard K-Tuned quality was also questionable. Found this today:

https://www.8thcivic.com/threads/k-tuned-header-quality-check.527713/

Maybe I will stick with PLM!

I've seen that post too. That's the only negative I've found regarding the manifold so there has to be a lot of happy customers I guess. I know around 10 people here in Sweden that run the K-tuned manifold and they are all satisfied with the manifold and have been running it for a couple of years with no problems.

I've seen that post too. That's the only negative I've found regarding the manifold so there has to be a lot of happy customers I guess. I know around 10 people here in Sweden that run the K-tuned manifold and they are all satisfied with the manifold and have been running it for a couple of years with no problems.

It’d be nice to see one in person before spending the money. I know the American ones aren’t as bad as people make them out to be as I’ve bought one before but I imagine it does vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

It’d be nice to see one in person before spending the money. I know the American ones aren’t as bad as people make them out to be as I’ve bought one before but I imagine it does vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

I will probably end up going with the K-tuned one because it will at the end cost as much as the other options, its a well known brand, from what I've heard it's good quality and delivers good power and my tuner has them in stock.

Back