• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Tailgate trim removal

Anybody know how to remove the plastic panels from the tailgate?
Managed to drop bulb and bulb holder for the reversing light down the back of the tailgate this morning .
Spent 60 mins trying to recover both with no joy

They pull off in overlapping sections. From memory the only screws are under the covers in the handle recesses.

You won't get it I'm afraid, recently dropped the reversing bulb whilst swapping to Led, I removed the trim but it doesn't reveal anything, it looks like the outside boot skin will need to come off
I dropped the Led one that I've no idea where it went as there's no rattling, I then dropped the original but luckily that had rattled down to the bottom corner,
I got that back by popping off the rubber boot harness cover and bounced it towards the hole by closing and opening the boot a few times.
I purchased a wire claw grabber and one of those android wire cameras to locate the Led bulb when I can be bothered.

Bummer I was afraid of that. I was doing the same thing changing over to LED bulbs. Was really hoping I didn't have to buy another set and a bulb holder

Caught a few out,
I remember reading the thread on the other forum from a couple of years back, Loxy had just finished his with ease yet another member totally lost his rag after losing 2 and I think his mother stepped in as he was about to smash his car up :lol:
As I was reading it I thought I bet that happens to me.......... Big hands and the angles are all wrong.

I think it's a big job to remove the boot skin the lights need to come out, My thoughts were if I have to remove the skin then I might as well replace it with a carbon one.
I removed trim from that side only and there was no access, I didn't try removing the lot as I'd had enough so you could try to remove the big panel

Just had a light bulb in my head moment :)

Just remembered when I switched my number plates over, behind the rear plate is a big access hole, give that go

Just had a light bulb in my head moment :)

Just remembered when I switched my number plates over, behind the rear plate is a big access hole, give that go

Cheers I'll try that tomorrow. Failing that I'll just buyt another holder and bulb. No way am taking the tailgate apart for the sake of a bulb and holder
Anybody know the part number for the bulb holder?

So no luck with the gap behind the number plate .
Emailed Cox motor parts yesterday... anybody care to guess at the price?..........

£112 apparently. I did ask them to double check as I assumed this was the price for the whole light.. but apparently not it is the price for the bulb holder on it's own .
Looks like I'll have to drive to Honda tomorrow to double check as I can't imagine for one minute that price can be correct..

Where abouts in the county are you? Tempted to say I'll get it out for you. There will be a way without spending that.

Honda replaced the rear "H" badge on my FK8 (under warranty) and seems they didn't learn from their design mistakes on the latest model either as the inside part of rear light cluster needed to come out to access the upper metal trim part of the tail gate to get at the clips behind the badge.

you'd be forgiven in thinking it was intentionally designed that way to generate extra work for the dealers :)

edit: that said, not sure the dealers really want cars clogging up their service centres with too much cosmetic work.

I'd try removing all the plastic before coughing that up, Can you not hear it rattling about for rough area,
My original rattled all the way down to the corner and kept rattling, yet the LED one fell with no noise and doesn't even rattle.
My android cable cam and wire grabber was only about £18 if you fancy fishing

Where abouts in the county are you? Tempted to say I'll get it out for you. There will be a way without spending that.

Bridgwater Somerset. Although I'm over swindon way regularly and huddersfield/Leeds to see family now and again..

I'd try removing all the plastic before coughing that up, Can you not hear it rattling about for rough area,
My original rattled all the way down to the corner and kept rattling, yet the LED one fell with no noise and doesn't even rattle.
My android cable cam and wire grabber was only about £18 if you fancy fishing

Can you send me the Ebay link bud? It did rattle at first but quiet as a mouse now

tried a flexible grabber claw tool?

iirc the boot skin plastic is a bit of a faff. from 2-3 years ago i remember removing interior trim (i think hinge side first, sides and then the main boot panel. remove the boot lid light clusters. I cant remember if there are any screws or clips around there for the boot skin.
next is remove number plate where theres a hidden clip or 3. the center one was a PITA to remove - really stubborn on mine. definitely need trim clip tools for it.

the honda badge/gloss black garnish is screwed to the boot skin plastic so those bits come off together.

Back