• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

'57 Milano FN2 - First Hot Hatch

Hello all,

I have been residing here for a while and thought I would introduce myself. I've also been more active on the Facebook pages, but have found some threads on here really useful and insightful. It's great the admins are so active too :D

A few months ago I picked up this 57 FN2, on 88k. This is my first hot hatch, moving from a 1.4 Astra, so finding it great fun. Ironically this has been owned by 2 colleagues where I work, which I didn't know until I bought it! I've no aspiration to do anything forced induction etc, but I do want it to sound a little better, have some subtle visual mods ideas, and to get a bit more low & mid range torque. It is my daily - short 1.5 mile journey to work, but I also play in a band. So it lugs my gear around to rehearsals and gigs across the South West, yearly mileage 11k.

Quite good condition aside from the usual swirl marks, stone chips and scratches here and there. The interior and bay are all quite good, aside from some trim clips that have fallen out. Obvious minor kerb rash too, but nothing horrific.

I've spent some good time cleaning and polishing it and this makes a huge difference, despite the state of the some of the panels due to stone chips! Hoping to take it out to local meets & shows, but want the engine bay dressed a little more before I do.

*Work, mods & maintenance*
In my ownership it has already:
- Passed MOT, including new discs and pads all round (MTEC / Mintex), gearbox oil change.
- I have fixed the boot leak. I wrote a fairly comprehensive how-to on the facebook forums, so need to get that content + pictures over here, as I see a lot of questions about it.
- K&N Panel filter fitted
- 2 stage polish (DA & by hand)
- Heko deflectors

I plan to:
Get new H badges front and rear
Fit footwell lights
New exedy clutch - to be fitted by myself and friend/mechanic/neighbour!
Valve clearances (never done, service due next month).
MJC Slam Panel studs
Paint calipers silver/black/red

Mods:
- I'd like a slightly nicer tone without being raspy, but nothing as loud as the Martelius, have been considering Japspeed catback and some kind of induction kit. Don't want to take fog lights out, like the appearance of the HKS/TTS. Could also keep my panel filter and change to a silicone pipe for visuals. Not sure which way round to do it, or whether to do one and not the other... :confused: Won't be de-catting.
- Uprated brakes: I would like better response and bite from current set up. Considering PBS / DS2500 pads. Need to have good bite from cold due to commuting. Car won't be tracked, so need to be suitable for road / fast road.
- Considering eibach lowering springs + FRSU, but due to driving down lanes, occasional fields etc i'm not sure I want it any lower. Not sure I need any of this done really, I do enjoy the car the way it is.
- Also thinking about a few visual mods such as rear wing, and some kind of rhino lip skirts. Don't want to go crazy, but IMO, don't want the spoiler on a totally stock car!

Won't be doing any mods until around May, when I turn 25 and get better quotes for insurance with mods. However, I am happy to purchase and get some of the kit ready over the next few months. Happy to do £100-200 of spending each month on this until then, or save it over that time for more expensive parts.

Thanks all, look forward to chatting with you... I will get tapatalk and get some pics up shortly.
Charlie

Welcome to the light.
Try these instead of paying for Honda badges https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223333642239
You could go for an HKS panel filter later instead of induction kit, no oiling like K&N
If i were you i would avoid lowering kits and low hanging bits on the skirts if you are going over rough ground. It's easy enough to ground at standard height.
Trims clips are really cheap on ebay, like £3.50 for 10, just find the Honda part number and google it https://www.parts-honda.uk/honda-cars/CIVIC/2010/20-TYPE-R-PLUS/10751
other mods all sound sensible

Thanks Wilmo!
Yes I have seen a lot about those. The only thing that puts me off about the gel overlays is I believe they dont cover the silver edging of the stock badge, which is the bit which is mouldy and cracking. I think just some new (non genuine) ones from the bay will do the job?

IIRC the K&N Panel filter just needs cleaning, or am I confused?

Yes, thinking about that, it quickly fell off my list. Think my current priorities will be uprated pads, the valve clearances and service items, and then breathing.

I'm actually trying to get the slam panel kit from MJC automotive to dress it up a bit. Thanks for the suggestion :D

Here's the front of my old fn2. Vented carbon fibre bonnet, fog scoops (recommend these), grill change, rubber front lip, lowered 15mm on eibach (must do mod), Team dynamics pro race 1.2 wheels (2.5kg a wheel lighter than oem)

Attachments

• sketch-1579038657095-957x540.png
    sketch-1579038657095-957x540.png
    687.5 KB · Views: 41
Flashy, that looks lush mate. Big fan of the mugen grill and black gel badge. Not sure the black gels would suit my milano, however, just because there is no other black detailing to compliment it.
The front lip frames that beautifully - have you had any trouble with speed humps etc?
Are you piping a CAI through the scoop I take it? I dont particularly want to take my fogs out :/

I sold it 2 and a half years ago, but yes I was running an injen cai fed by the fog scoop. I had a milltek non res exhaust too, the car would scrape on one speed bump but it was an exceptional one! I liked the idea of the rubber lip because the front splitter is already low, and the rubber helped prevent scraping. Car park ramps were the enemy there.

Thanks Wilmo!
Yes I have seen a lot about those. The only thing that puts me off about the gel overlays is I believe they dont cover the silver edging of the stock badge, which is the bit which is mouldy and cracking. I think just some new (non genuine) ones from the bay will do the job?

IIRC the K&N Panel filter just needs cleaning, or am I confused?

Yes, thinking about that, it quickly fell off my list. Think my current priorities will be uprated pads, the valve clearances and service items, and then breathing.

I'm actually trying to get the slam panel kit from MJC automotive to dress it up a bit. Thanks for the suggestion :D

Correct they don't cover the silver edge. I got them because mine had stone chips in the centre.
I thought the K&N needs a clean and oiling, the oil is what collects the muck. The HKS has 3 different densities of foam that trap different size particles.
The MJC kit will make it look better, I have the red one.
Better to spend money on brakes and the engine first before you bling it up, so your priorities are right.

A few resized and probably low-quality pictures after a recent DA & hand polish and wax. Gave the bay a quick wipe down too and looking forward to getting some dressing parts in there.

r1.jpgr2.jpgr3.jpgr4.jpg

Very nice and a good read.
I recently fitted a new clutch and made a world of difference! Car felt quicker and better fuel economy too.

I also fitted new Eibach springs dropping 15mm along with the geometry. Made massive difference to handling and enjoy driving the car more.

First mod i did was fit a milltek non res exhaust. Great sound compared to the original although at times i wish i bought the resonated one!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Very nice and a good read.
I recently fitted a new clutch and made a world of difference! Car felt quicker and better fuel economy too.

Ah, thanks very much!
I've been told the clutch will also solve most of my notchy feeling when shifting - it struggles to get from 1st to second at high revs when being pushed. My friendly neighbour has offered to do it for free providing I am there to help and learn. Will be a great experience as i've never done anything like that.

I think just a geo set up in general would be wise. Would need to get the bolts etc fitted too (not that familiar with the whole geometry components and set up as a whole), but would rather do that than get it lowered IMO.

Interesting, what made you want the res? I'm thinking either Japspeed or Milltek (FNLew fitted one) and it sounds lovely - don't want anything too loud haha. It's good i've got a few months to think about it and save before I then renew the insurance (looking at either Admiral or Brentacre) and declare mods.

Hello all,

I have been residing here for a while and thought I would introduce myself. I've also been more active on the Facebook pages, but have found some threads on here really useful and insightful. It's great the admins are so active too :D

A few months ago I picked up this 57 FN2, on 88k. This is my first hot hatch, moving from a 1.4 Astra, so finding it great fun. Ironically this has been owned by 2 colleagues where I work, which I didn't know until I bought it! I've no aspiration to do anything forced induction etc, but I do want it to sound a little better, have some subtle visual mods ideas, and to get a bit more low & mid range torque. It is my daily - short 1.5 mile journey to work, but I also play in a band. So it lugs my gear around to rehearsals and gigs across the South West, yearly mileage 11k.

Quite good condition aside from the usual swirl marks, stone chips and scratches here and there. The interior and bay are all quite good, aside from some trim clips that have fallen out. Obvious minor kerb rash too, but nothing horrific.

I've spent some good time cleaning and polishing it and this makes a huge difference, despite the state of the some of the panels due to stone chips! Hoping to take it out to local meets & shows, but want the engine bay dressed a little more before I do.

*Work, mods & maintenance*
In my ownership it has already:
- Passed MOT, including new discs and pads all round (MTEC / Mintex), gearbox oil change.
- I have fixed the boot leak. I wrote a fairly comprehensive how-to on the facebook forums, so need to get that content + pictures over here, as I see a lot of questions about it.
- K&N Panel filter fitted
- 2 stage polish (DA & by hand)
- Heko deflectors

I plan to:
Get new H badges front and rear
Fit footwell lights
New exedy clutch - to be fitted by myself and friend/mechanic/neighbour!
Valve clearances (never done, service due next month).
MJC Slam Panel studs
Paint calipers silver/black/red

Mods:
- I'd like a slightly nicer tone without being raspy, but nothing as loud as the Martelius, have been considering Japspeed catback and some kind of induction kit. Don't want to take fog lights out, like the appearance of the HKS/TTS. Could also keep my panel filter and change to a silicone pipe for visuals. Not sure which way round to do it, or whether to do one and not the other... :confused: Won't be de-catting.
- Uprated brakes: I would like better response and bite from current set up. Considering PBS / DS2500 pads. Need to have good bite from cold due to commuting. Car won't be tracked, so need to be suitable for road / fast road.
- Considering eibach lowering springs + FRSU, but due to driving down lanes, occasional fields etc i'm not sure I want it any lower. Not sure I need any of this done really, I do enjoy the car the way it is.
- Also thinking about a few visual mods such as rear wing, and some kind of rhino lip skirts. Don't want to go crazy, but IMO, don't want the spoiler on a totally stock car!

Won't be doing any mods until around May, when I turn 25 and get better quotes for insurance with mods. However, I am happy to purchase and get some of the kit ready over the next few months. Happy to do £100-200 of spending each month on this until then, or save it over that time for more expensive parts.

Thanks all, look forward to chatting with you... I will get tapatalk and get some pics up shortly.
Charlie

Hi.
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Back from Honda HQ with a service and new Exedy clutch fitted.
Good & efficient service from Matt & Dan. Was a full service all bar gearbox oil (done at MOT) and air filter (K&N panel fitted.)
Clutch pedal feel is SO light.

Next up is PBS pads I think!

How did you find the Honda HQ experience? Did you provide the exedy clutch kit or is that something they keep on the shelf?

I'd like to know because my FN2 will need a clutch and rear beam bushes soon, but I'll be supplying the parts. If they are well versed in both jobs then I'll consider paying them a visit.

Mark

How did you find the Honda HQ experience? Did you provide the exedy clutch kit or is that something they keep on the shelf?

They were great. They provided me with adjusted quotes for me supplying the parts and for the service minus a few items that I didn't need.

I provided it yes as I was considering doing it with a mate, their labour was something like £140 IIRC, which is amazing. It was cheaper for me to go there for this work (3hr drive each way) than local garages.

I do still have a bit of gearbox notchyness though but I think that's unrelated to the clutch.

Nice positive review Chaz. You had a three hour drive back with the new clutch - any difference to the feel of it? Perhaps the notchy gear changes will get easier after the clutch has bedded in. Those guys do seem to rattle through the jobs, working all hours....

Back