• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

NHB EP3 06 Premier Edition

Hi all,

I have been a member for a while so thought it would be best I start a thread to document the works (more than expected! More on that later).

Some background first, I was heavily into cars in my younger days before moving into further education, owning various warm hatches but nothing special and never a Honda! After university I settled down, Wife, house and kids etc and like many others anything other than a daily barge with isofix wasn’t really considered.

Rolling on a few years (Quickly approaching mid 30’s) and it was time to finally get a weekend car to run along side the day to day German barge. After pondering on what type of car to purchase for what seemed like months my cousin turned up at my doorstep in a JDM EP3 and suggested I take it for a spin. I was hooked straight away by how raw it was, the sound and the gearbox so the hunt was on!

So now it is May/June 2018 and the hunt was on for a EP3 Type R- Initially the budget was low but after viewing a few I decided to push the budget and try and get a standard premier edition- Mileage didn’t really bother me. I viewed a few in the Birmingham area and was surprised how what seemed to be good in the advert/pictures didn’t transpire to a solid car in person I stumbled across a Premier Edition while browsing auto trader on a shopping trip to the Trafford centre (It was getting desperate), I nipped across leaving the wife and kids, went for a test drive and immediately put down the money. I always try to plan properly and do the correct checks when purchasing a second hand car but I always seem to forget all of that as soon as I start looking around it!

So the car? Well it is 2006 EP3 premier edition in Nighthawk Black with 106k miles, Full Honda history and 1 owner. I did call Honda Southport who confirmed it had been looked after and had everything it needed but could not tell me more due to data protection. The car was solid enough, a few battle scars but nothing major. The plan was to get it mechanically sorted with a few select modifications then sort the body in the long term- Black cars seem to be really good at showing scratches/swirls etc

Here is a few pictures from the collection day-

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

The day after I gave the car a good going over, decontamination, clay bar etc followed by a quick machine polish and wax. Fitted a new battery as it was slow at starting and purchased some new OEM mats. It then started to look almost presentable

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Hope the photos uploaded properly,To be continued....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
So moving on after a few weeks with the car I decided to get on top of the general maintenance items- Wiper blades, fluids, replacing the landsail tyres, alignment and a 12 month + Honda service. It had just been serviced but it bugged me they had broken the full Honda service history!

Civic Type R EP3

Honda York reported it needed valve clearances, front discs/pads and a new front caliper. Much to my annoyance they fitted a non OEM part so no Type R text on the drivers side caliper- I didn’t actually realise at first!

Following this now September 2018 the alloys were refurbished and a Tegiwa intake installed, what a noise! Met up with my cousin and went for a blast around some Yorkshire roads

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

For some reason all the images are showing on the Tapatalk app but when I switch to web mode there is no images! Anyone know the best way around this?

Tapatalk works for a lot of people in here, but since you have problems with it, it's worth trying uploading to flickr, and embedding them from there.

Hi, thanks for the advice I have switched over to Flickr but can’t do the embedded images yet as I’m on the iPhone. Will get this sorted at some point.

After the maintenance work it was now driving well apart from a slight rattle coming down through the gears- I assumed this was a heatshield or something at first (More on that later).

I wanted to try and preserve the underside and remove any surface rust so I had underside treated by Malton Coachworks in December 2018.

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

In the new year the guys from Minster dents spent a whole day on the car and did an excellent job with the PDR. Almost every panel and some pin dents/minor imperfections. Seems logical instead of resorting to body filler before spraying.

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

As mentioned above the ‘rattle’ was not getting any better and after finding out what Honda wanted to charge I opted to visit Stevie at Grinspeed in February 2019. After a new counter and main shaft bearing all was good again While the box was out a new clutch and M factory lightened flywheel was installed. Also fitted some new fog lights and wind deflectors around that time.

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Nothing much happened in the next few months, attended a car show at Newby Hall and attempted to source all the parts to replace the exhaust as it was in poor shape. This was fitted but the Klarius items were poor quality and I wasn’t really happy with how far down the mid section was positioned (Speed bumps!) I did go for an OEM back box though.

Pictures from Newby Hall

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Exhaust Parts

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

More to follow...

August through to September 2019 some minor jobs/upgrades done- Pedals replaced, JDM mats imported from Japan, Air Con Regas and clean, cabin filters changed and gear knob polished up. Enjoyed the car over the rest of summer and went on a few road trips.

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Few pics from Elvington Air museum

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

General car pictures from the summer

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

More to follow...

January 2020 and a trip to Grinspeed to get the following fitted/upgraded- Eibach springs, KYB OE dampers, Hardrace track rod ends, track rod ends, full Super Pro bush kit, Hardrace drop links, Tegiwa strut brace, Hybrid racing shifter, Hardrace rear camber arms and Eibach front camber bolts. This was followed by a fast road setup. It’s fair to say it has completely transformed the car, feels great to drive. Hoping for a good summer now ��

Few pics from the works-

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Keeping busy during the day ;)

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Strut brace on

Civic Type R EP3

Centre console back in with the surround modified for the Hybrid racing shifter

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Following the suspension refresh

Civic Type R EP3

Civic Type R EP3

Thanks guys, been on with a few bits and pieces this month but nothing major. Still looking at getting a respray at some point as well

Pristine and truly tasteful. Could you please elaborate more on how you fixed rattling window trim? Thanks!

Back