• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

NHB EP3 06 Premier Edition

Thought it was time to update this thread with all that is going on, hope everyone is well and keeping safe.

I have done a few small bits since I last posted. First job was to refresh some more blown bulbs in the centre console/speedo and de-amber the indicator bulbs.

Untitled by [Civic Type R], on Flickr

I purchased the Skunk2 shifter which coupled with the hybrid shifter makes for an excellent shift Following this it was back to Grinspeed for a quick check up after all the recent work.

Prior to the lockdown I managed to get a trip out with my cousin in his JDM civic. Didn’t go very far but was good to get it out of the garage while the sun was shinning

Next job was to sort the CD player as I wanted to at least connect my phone for music. I stumbled across a double din and centre console for sale through Vtec Monkeys. I picked it up and along with a few further pieces I managed to get this swapped over. It is an older Sony double din XAV-602BT but still does a job I also painted the facia and door trims in cosmic grey.

A change in circumstances and job means I now need to use the civic as daily, averaging around 300/400 miles a week. It has done the job faultlessly so far however I am tempted to change to something more suited to the daily run. Picture below is from my local B&B where I have been staying before the virus arrived.

The next job when this virus disappears is a major service and potentially changing the Radiator and hoses over at grinspeed It will be the first official service away from Honda since new, seems a shame but I wasn’t happy with the Honda York after last year.

Stay safe everyone!

Thanks for the comments. I managed to strip out the rear arch carpets and inspect the dreaded rust. I was reasonably fortunate compared to others I have seen on forums. I mainly found surface rust which after a wash, decontamination, light rub down and wire wheel was ready for paint. I am not very experienced with the under seal world but I used Hammerite Kurust converter on the sanded areas followed by some oxide primer and some TechniQ Bitumen under seal (when it arrives- Hermes has lost the parcel) I have also purchased some Bilt hamber Dynax S-50 for the cavities. Once all this is done and its off the the stands I will check behind the rear speakers.

Some photos (WIP)- I will post more when Hermes manage to find the under seal!

First Inspection-

Civic Type R- Arches by EP3 , on Flickr

Civic Type R- Arches by EP3, on Flickr

Wash and decontamination-

After Sanding & Kurust-

Untitled by EP3, on Flickr

After Primer-

Untitled by EP3, on Flickr

Great job there, yours doesn’t look like it’s too bad at all behind the arch liners, which is good.

Top job that! Yeah, as above, looks pretty clean behind the bumper and arch carpets. Lovely car. :cool:

I managed to finally finish the underseal work- I applied the aerosol Tetrosyl Tetra Schutz as a base coat followed by Hammerite Underbody seal with a brush. I did struggle with the aerosol as it did tend to block-up the spray nozzle. I'm guessing this would not happen with a proper spray gun.

EP3 Rear Arches by EP3, on Flickr

The cavities were sprayed with Bilt Hamber Dynax S-50 which seemed to be a great product so hopefully it will last. I then inspected the boot floor and rear arches behind the speakers. Both areas were clear of any signs of corrosion but I applied some more Bilt Hamber Dynax S-50 & Hammerite Underbody seal just to be safe.

The arches were also sanded, treated and sprayed with a fresh coat of Nighthawk Black.

May 2020- Hope everyone is keeping well. Thought it was about time to update this thread. After finishing the arches and rust prevention works I did a few small jobs in the engine bay and serviced the tegiwa intake. I managed to improve the fitment and added the later edition Tegiwa emblem.

Progress works

Progress works

Progress works

The engine bay was then tided with some further rust prevention to the battery tray and surrounding areas with the left over products from the arches. Lockdown boredom definitely setting in!

Progress works
Progress works
Progress works
Progress works

June 2020- So I finally picked up a Mugen wing (Replica). This was second hand but in reasonably good condition. It needed minor adjustments to make it fit using the original bolt positions but I guess this is to be expected! Before going for paint I lightly sanded and undercoated using E-Tech filler and primer spray. The original bolts were replaced and the foam/rubber spacers transferred from the OEM spoiler. Still not convinced if I prefer the OEM spoiler but I can always go back if needed.

Progress works
Progress works
Progress works
Progress works

Small things- New remote cover, key ring and Honda badges.

Progress works

June 2020- After I removed the carpet arch liners the fuel filler inlet was exposed so I purchased a pre-facelift cover from Honda. I don’t think the pre-facelift had carpet arch liners. Not sure if this is actually required but it does offer some protection.

Progress works
Progress works
Progress works

June 2020- Next up was a trip to Stevie at Grinspeed for the following works-
• Minor service- Oil- 5/40 and filter including Iridium spark plugs
• Fit OEM Honda front top suspension mounts.
• Clean and de-carbon original throttle body
• Fit and install Mishimoto Aluminium radiator.
• Replace existing hoses with EXOR racing silicone hoses and re-fill coolant with Honda type 2 coolant
• Fit new OE starter motor
• Fit Pagid OE discs, PBS pads and HEL braided lines- All corners
• Fast road setup
Great work and service as always and it was ready to go again within the day. Not sure I really need to change most of the above but I had been collecting spare parts for a while. Some pictures from the works-

Progress works
Progress works
Progress works
Progress works
Progress works
Progress works
Progress works
Progress works

July 2020- Small things again but fresh boot struts-

Progress works
Progress works

July 2020- Almost up to date now. I decided to refresh the paint work and had the following works carried out in York-
• Prep and respray rear and front bumper
• Prep and respray bonnet
• Blend into front wings
• Flatten and blend drivers side rear arch (previous repair)
• Final prep and finish Mugen spoiler
Images from the spray shop (apologies for the quality)-

Progress works
Progress works
Progress works
Progress works

It did take some time to complete the work but overall I’m happy given the competitive quote. It does still need machine polishing, especially the bonnet but it looks better without all the stone chips. Not sure you can really tell the difference from the photos! The Mugen wing blade is on the least aggressive setting but it’s easy to adjust if required. Not surprisingly it does leak so I will need to sort that before any wet weather driving.

That’s all for now but next up will be the grill and replacement of the Honda badges.
Progress works
Progress works
Progress works
Progress works

August 2020- So we are now up to date-I Finally managed to get the grill back from the paint shop and fit the new badges. I used some thick rubber washers and silicone on the leaky wing so hopefully that should do the trick for now. Not sure what the long term plans are for the car yet (pending a house move and relocating) but least the car is now at a good standard. I have done most of the jobs I envisaged when I purchased the car two years ago so it feels good to complete the project.

EP3 Type R
EP3 Type R
EP3 Type R
EP3 Type R

Excellent work/update - car is looking great. Just ordered one of those fuel filler covers. :smt023

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking fantastic.

I need to up my game. Some of you guys are doing a lot of work to keep these cars in tip top condition.

Keep it up.

Sent from my moto e(6) plus using Tapatalk

Back