• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Oil level raised above max

Hi, Since I've had my fk2 the oil has always been bang on the max mark on the dipstick. I always check when the engine is cold and on level ground. I checked it on Saturday and it had gone slightly up approx 5mm above the max mark. I just wanted to call on fellow members' knowledge as to what can cause this or if anyone has had this happen to their car? I've read online re petrol dilution but refers to crv and the new civics but nothing on the fk2 also if a car runs rich poss fuel getting past the piston rings? Obviously I'm quite concerned and I'm taking it to the Honda dealership who changed the oil at the last service. Maybe I've not been reading it correctly as it's very hard to see the line even with a led torch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Fred.

I'm sure the manual tells you to check the oil approx. 3 mins after the engine has been running (it says the best time to check is when refuelling). No idea why the level would climb though, sorry.

Yeah piston rings or head gasket are knackered. I would do the right thing and trade it in for a Jazz, Fred.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yeah piston rings or head gasket are knackered. I would do the right thing and trade it in for a Jazz, Fred.

No chance of that. Seriously though. No overheating. And no loss of power. Everything sounds ok. But im sure though doing the right checks it will be a process of elimination. I asked for the help of fellow members, not negative comments like yours. Maybe one day you might have a problem with your fk2 and need help.

Just because I didn't say what you wanted to hear!
If it makes you feel better then I'm sure its absolutely fine and nothing to worry about!

Just because I didn't say what you wanted to hear!
If it makes you feel better then I'm sure its absolutely fine and nothing to worry about!

I just wanted any ideas, and help from members who I believe are quite knowledgeable and may have experience on the subject. I just want the car to be right and enjoy it like i'm sure you do yours. If someone replies with information thats good or bad so be it. But to come on saying that the piston rings and head gasket knackered
looks like you dont know the outcome If either were.
On a positive note I bear no malice to you and im sure it'll get sorted. Regards Fred.

I had this issue on my B18 recently. That was an injector running on (leaking) and adding fuel to the oil.

Replaced injectors and some fresh oil and she's running mint.

There's nearly 40 years between our engine designs though....

I had this issue on my B18 recently. That was an injector running on (leaking) and adding fuel to the oil.

yes i've read about faulty solenoids re the injectors and one reason for petrol getting into the oil. Im not sure on the fk2 as more modern this could happen.But its on my check list of things to check. Im not sure If it would come up when checked via the obd terminal. Im at Honda tommorrow so ill be getting things checked out.

It's a direct port injection engine so It would probably be a strip engine down to get at injectors?
I maybe wrong though.

The dipstick is terrible, you have to be quick to read it before it runs everywhere and I'm sure it reads higher one side.
I think I suggested it before but buy a 2nd dipstick and strip the orange plastic off and use that for your dips, you're left with bare metal and the original min and max holes in it.

A slight fuel smell will be normal so don't worry if you get a slight whiff, But if it stink stinks then get it looked at,

To be honest I wouldn't worry but I would monitor for peace of mind, if the car runs fine and there's no engine light then carry on as normal,
I might be wrong but from what I gather it doesn't take much fuel in the oil to start seeing running issues

Are leaking injectors common on the FK2?

Pull the dip stick and give it a whiff. Mine stank of fuel.
I just gave my dipstick a smell, it and smells of fuel. Yet no other indicators from the car that anything is amiss?

The dipstick is terrible, you have to be quick to read it before it runs everywhere and I'm sure it reads higher one side.
I think I suggested it before but buy a 2nd dipstick and strip the orange plastic off and use that for your dips, you're left with bare metal and the original min and max holes in it.

A slight fuel smell will be normal so don't worry if you get a slight whiff, But if it stink stinks then get it looked at,

To be honest I wouldn't worry but I would monitor for peace of mind, if the car runs fine and there's no engine light then carry on as normal,
I might be wrong but from what I gather it doesn't take much fuel in the oil to start seeing running issues

Edit: It appears that fuel in oil is normal due to it being DI, theres a big thread on the civic forums with loads of results from black stone labs etc

Edit: Does the FK2 run quite lean in terms of air to fuel ratios being DI?

Hi, Since I've had my fk2 the oil has always been bang on the max mark on the dipstick. I always check when the engine is cold and on level ground. I checked it on Saturday and it had gone slightly up approx 5mm above the max mark. I just wanted to call on fellow members' knowledge as to what can cause this or if anyone has had this happen to their car? I've read online re petrol dilution but refers to crv and the new civics but nothing on the fk2 also if a car runs rich poss fuel getting past the piston rings? Obviously I'm quite concerned and I'm taking it to the Honda dealership who changed the oil at the last service. Maybe I've not been reading it correctly as it's very hard to see the line even with a led torch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Fred.

What colour is your oil? And how many miles has it seen

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred the most straightforward way of doing this would be to send off an oil sample. We use FAST at work and they come back with thorough results. They post a test kit to you and results come back in a few days.

That would eliminate a lot of stress and worry. That and a second dipstick to ensure the level is correct.

I'm sure it's a level/reading issue and nothing more sinister!

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

I think it's first Honda nerves :)
I questioned everything with my fn2, even to the point of having the box refurbed, now It's more "MEH" it runs fine

Fred you seem a decent chap, but you're worrying about nothing. It's a Honda, it's been built to be driven hard all day every day. Let the oil warm up before pushing the engine. Service the car when it requests it and get out and enjoy it. 5mm on a dipstick is nothing. The dipstick is woefully inaccurate, it's designed to ensure there is roughly enough oil in the engine (it's not a precision device ) hence make sure it's above min and below max and enjoy. It's direct injecton so it's a dirty old beast but the car tells you when the oil has degraded and it needs a change.

If you want something to worry about it would if and when the gearbox will **** itself !

Thanks for the information , much appreciated . By the way my son has a 1993 civic Fred Del Sol 2 seater Jap import it had a b16a engine
which was getting a bit tired was on approx 110,000 miles. So bought a Honda prelude 2.2 engine and put it in. It's absolutely stunning and he's got 240 bhp at the flywheel not sure at the wheels. With it being so light it goes like a rocket and has Integra type r brakes all round.
Im only mentioning this as I think you have a similar car? Once again many thanks for your help
All the best Regards Fred.

What can I say i' m absolutely humbled by all of your helpand have taken on board all your suggestions. Rest assured I am with Honda tomorrow and will get peace of mind. I will let you all know the outcome.Any more members input will be more than welcome
Regards Fred.

Are leaking injectors common on the FK2?

I just gave my dipstick a smell, it and smells of fuel. Yet no other indicators from the car that anything is amiss?

Edit: It appears that fuel in oil is normal due to it being DI, theres a big thread on the civic forums with loads of results from black stone labs etc

Edit: Does the FK2 run quite lean in terms of air to fuel ratios being DI?

What colour is your oil? And how many miles has it seen

Hi my mileage is 19500 and the oil was changed in October and is like new amber in colour very clear and I have to use my led surefire torch to see the level properly. I've covered approx 360 spirited miles.

Fred you seem a decent chap, but you're worrying about nothing. It's a Honda, it's been built to be driven hard all day every day. Let the oil warm up before pushing the engine. Service the car when it requests it and get out and enjoy it. 5mm on a dipstick is nothing. The dipstick is woefully inaccurate, it's designed to ensure there is roughly enough oil in the engine (it's not a precision device ) hence make sure it's above min and below max and enjoy. It's direct injecton so it's a dirty old beast but the car tells you when the oil has degraded and it needs a change.

If you want something to worry about it would if and when the gearbox will **** itself !

I appreciate what you're saying. My fk2 is on fixed servicing as the prev owner had the variable switched off . I cover around 1500 miles a year. I'm retired so only use occasionally through the week and at weekends.

Fred the most straightforward way of doing this would be to send off an oil sample. We use FAST at work and they come back with thorough results. They post a test kit to you and results come back in a few days.

That would eliminate a lot of stress and worry. That and a second dipstick to ensure the level is correct.

I'm sure it's a level/reading issue and nothing more sinister!

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

So if we take some oil out tomorrow how much do I save for a lab sample? and what would the approx cost be.?
Many thanks.

Back