• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Track day birthday gift

So for my birthday today. 1 of my present is a type r performance driving course at knockhill. Ya belter
2 laps as a passenger with the instructor. Then 15 laps driving
Means I get my first track experience in an fk2 without worrying about crashing and having to pay for the damage
Hopefully it'll give me the confidence to take mine to open track days.. buzzing for it. I have 8 months to book it so I can wait for our traditional 2 weeks summer before I take it. Smashing wee present and Definitely beats socks n boxers :lol:

Happy birthday bud!

That's a good start to getting in track, someone who knows what they're doing to show you the ropes.

You'll be hooked before you know it.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks norv
Ye my thinking exactly. Racing lines. Correct gearing instruction. I've wanted to track my own but scared I'd crash it with no track experience. This will give me the taste for it :twisted:

That sounds fab op, enjoy it!
Do you still have to arrange track insurance etc or is it all inclusive?

Thanks norv
Ye my thinking exactly. Racing lines. Correct gearing instruction. I've wanted to track my own but scared I'd crash it with no track experience. This will give me the taste for it :twisted:

seriously nothing to worry about. a few things to keep in mind...
- everyone is out on track for the same reason; to enjoy themselves. no one likes to see cars roll or damaged plus it ends up in lengthy red flags so everyone is stuck waiting.
- drive at your own pace and skills. they'll be fast cars and slow cars (and a combination of fast&slow drivers in those cars) . everyone expects traffic so just be aware of your surroundings and pull over to let the faster guys through. be confident in your decision; dont half-ass stuff as that leaves everyone unsure.
- trackdays arent cheap in this car.not cheap or easy to mod the FK2. first you'll hit brake issues, then IAT's (replace IC), and then oil temps once your running events with 21c ambient over about 12minutes. if your serious about taking up trackdays, i'd seriously recommend £1.5-2k in prepwork. Tyres will be the big ongoing cost. cup2's or better else the outer edge will be done way before the rest of the tyre is.
- focus on being smooth and getting your lines right. disregard times, thinking your slow, or not pushing the cars limits. all that comes in time with confidence. ego's need to be left at home.
- TCS/ESP. personally, turn it off. i find the car fights me with trying to correct so when i anticipate the car will slide, i adjust inputs and allow the car to gently recover but then the TCS/ESP system actively interferes with braking which upsets the balance and my predictions. as per FWD BTCC when the back end slides, you hit the power to pull the car out of it. TCS/ECP will reduce power and make the back end unstable.

i've been sideways through Craners (Donington) in the FK2 every time i've visited, sometimes multiple times in a day. thats a hell of a thrill but not something anyone recommends :D

a track reliable fk2 is damn impressive on track. i'm far from experienced in trackdays (getting there - 3yrs in, around 7-8 events now) and there's only big power or track-only kit thats passing. even on cup2's which aren't renouned for their wet grip, it seemed the fk2 was fastest thing out there in the wet.

Last edited by a moderator:
seriously nothing to worry about. a few things to keep in mind...
- everyone is out on track for the same reason; to enjoy themselves. no one likes to see cars roll or damaged plus it ends up in length red flags so everyone is stuck waiting.
- drive at your own pace and skills. they'll be fast cars and slow cars (and a combination of fast&slow drivers in those cars) . everyone expects traffic so just be aware of your surroundings and pull over to let the faster guys through. be confident in your decision; dont half-ass stuff as that leaves everyone unsure.
- trackdays arent cheap in this car.not cheap or easy to mod the FK2. first you'll hit brake issues, then IAT's (replace IC), and then oil temps once your running events with 21c ambient over about 12minutes. if your serious about taking up trackdays, i'd seriously recommend £1.5-2k in prepwork. Tyres will be the big ongoing cost. cup2's or better else the outer edge will be done way before the rest of the tyre is.
- focus on being smooth and getting your lines right. disregard times, thinking your slow, or not pushing the cars limits. all that comes in time with confidence. ego's need to be left at home.
- TCS/ESP. personally, turn it off. i find the car fights me with trying to correct so when i anticipate the car will slide, i adjust inputs and allow the car to gently recover but then the TCS/ESP system actively interferes with braking which upsets the balance and my predictions. as per FWD BTCC when the back end slides, you hit the power to pull the car out of it. TCS/ECP will reduce power and make the back end unstable.

i've been sideways through Crainers (Donington) in the FK2 every time i've visited, sometimes multiple times in a day. thats a hell of a thrill but not something anyone recommends :D

a track reliable fk2 is damn impressive on track. i'm far from experienced in trackdays (getting there - 3yrs in, around 7-8 events now) and there's only big power or track-only kit thats passing. even on cup2's which aren't renouned for their wet grip, it seemed the fk2 was fastest thing out there in the wet.

I'm not going to expect too much . I'm just concentrating on enjoying the experience and pushing their fk2 as bit harder than I would mine . I've followed your build veehexx and if i do decide to get more serious. I will pester the arse off you for info :lol:

I'm not going to expect too much . I'm just concentrating on enjoying the experience and pushing their fk2 as bit harder than I would mine . I've followed your build veehexx and if i do decide to get more serious. I will pester the arse off you for info :lol:

sure, pester me all you want. wish i had FK2 specific track experience from someone else when I was prepping. Not saying i've got it right and i'll openly admit i've disregarded (for lack of a better term) some recommendations from far more experienced people that could've made the journey shorter, but the last trackday was the cheapest i've had. the only casualties were 6 of the 8 brake dust seals.
I've some high temp silicone ones pending fitment so i'm hoping to see zero failures at silverstone in april. could be the last time i'm out on 19" cup2 front/ps4s rear tyres too as one of them is nearing the end of their life. I've decided to go dedicated 18" track rubber & use cheaper 19" road tyres than dual-duty 19".

slippery slope this trackday stuff too. found myself thinking about stripping the backend out as i dont remember last time i used the rear seats. that almost screams for a rollcage too. also that wavetrac LSD that TDI-North flaunted on their FB page a few weeks ago is tempting. maybe one day...

sure, pester me all you want. wish i had FK2 specific track experience from someone else when I was prepping. Not saying i've got it right and i'll openly admit i've disregarded (for lack of a better term) some recommendations from far more experienced people that could've made the journey shorter, but the last trackday was the cheapest i've had. the only casualties were 6 of the 8 brake dust seals.
I've some high temp silicone ones pending fitment so i'm hoping to see zero failures at silverstone in april. could be the last time i'm out on 19" cup2 front/ps4s rear tyres too as one of them is nearing the end of their life. I've decided to go dedicated 18" track rubber & use cheaper 19" road tyres than dual-duty 19".

slippery slope this trackday stuff too. found myself thinking about stripping the backend out as i dont remember last time i used the rear seats. that almost screams for a rollcage too. also that wavetrac LSD that TDI-North flaunted on their FB page a few weeks ago is tempting. maybe one day...

:lol:, ye i see how the bug can bite mate, you bought your fk2 for dual use, now contemplating a strip out and roll cage? tells me the bug has well and truly bitten you, 95% of my driving is alone, whether it be commuting to work or fun on my days off, i love driving the fk2 so it will be good to see how an experienced instructor rates my general driving and control, and how better i can enjoy it on a track, ive also noticed the voucher also includes in car video footage so ill post it after my day for you guys to critique or slag the hole off me :eek:

im also a bit limited up here in scotland to good tracks available to me should i want to pursue more track time, you guys in england have a lot more options not just for tracks but meets as well, damn i might have to make a haggis packed lunch and do a road trip :)

I could be interested. But I understand that you need a towing bracket on the front and I'm not sure if you need one on the back. I see underneath there are brackets but looks like they are for tethering the car down when you're on a ship? as if you attempted to attach a tow line it would take your splitter plus all the front panels off. So how and where do you get a proper tow bracket fitted???. I have always thought are you stuffed if God forbid you break down how the hell do you get the car on a breakdown truck? Regards Fred.

So due to covid my track day has been canx twice, I have a date of the 24th Sept now, fingers crossed, we have a fk group up here of around 35 from central scotland, mostly fk2s and a few fk8s and I'm sure a few of these guys track their cars at knockhill trackdays but I don't remember seeing any of them with towing hooks at any of our meets

So due to covid my track day has been canx twice, I have a date of the 24th Sept now, fingers crossed, we have a fk group up here of around 35 from central scotland, mostly fk2s and a few fk8s and I'm sure a few of these guys track their cars at knockhill trackdays but I don't remember seeing any of them with towing hooks at any of our meets

No what i meant if you go on a track day with your own fk2 you cannot go on track without a towing bracket fitted. If your on a track day using their cars i dont think theyll need them or maybe they are fitted. They are probably be at the front with a cover on then they take it off and there will be a large thread in which they will screw a towing loop.
Regards Fred.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've never had any issue with tow stickers pointing to the front ones, and a tow eye on center rear point. been on multiple trackdays without issue.

so, finally got my trackday, absolutely loved it, felt i was getting faster and more confident with each lap
20 laps in total, can see now why its so addictive
the camera kept falling off the window but here are a few laps

[video=youtube;-AqxU5vbNyA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AqxU5vbNyA[/video]

Back