• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 2009 FN2 New Owner Questions

1 - Windscreen Jets. The windscreen screen jets don’t seem to be working properly. I activate them and there’s a quick spurt of screenwash but then it stops. The pump still runs. As there’s a tiny spurt of water each time, is this the problem that will be solved by the well known fix of disconnecting/reconnecting the pipe that goes under the windscreen or is this a blocked filter?

2 - Should the stereo illuminate? I have the standard stereo, not the satnav one. Are the buttons and controls on it supposed to light up when it’s on and the head lights are on? Other than that the stereo works fine.

3 - Faulty clock LCD backlight. Now I know the LCD can be dodgy, but the common problem seems to be it displaying incorrectly. However with mine the light is flickering on and off. The display is fine when it’s illuminated. The light flickers when I go over bumps. Sometimes it will stay off until I go over bumps again. I’ve read that this can actually be a fault with the stereo as opposed to the LCD. Could someone confirm if this is true? It would make sense with issue number 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. could be either also try cleaning the jets with shower descaler once you have taken them out of the scuttle. Just a couple of small screws in each. If you live in hard water area that could be your problem.

2. yes all the buttons/switches in the interior should be back lit except the one that switches from miles to kilometres.

3. could be dry joints in the LCD unit. means major dismantling job and careful soldering - there have been threads on how to do this on the forum.

1 - I’ll try descaling

2 - Thats annoying. I was debating swapping out the stereo anyway. It’s not that much of a big deal as use my phone through the aux for music but would like to be able to see the buttons. When switching between aux/radio.

3 - Thats fine. Didn’t want to muck around soldering if it wasn’t the same as when the display goes weird. Hadn’t seen anyone mention the backlight for it.

Thank you Wilmo

RE. the screenwash, mine are tempramental at the moment. Be CAREFUL which screenwash you use! I was using cheap, concentrated stuff and mixing up big 5-litre cans. However, I didn't realise that the dye in the wash was separating in the water of the mixed cans and that I was unknowingly pouring sludge/gunk into the tank. The jets lost all power and I had somebody blast high-pressure water into the tank to try and clear the blockage. It worked for a bit but about a year later, they've started blocking up again. Sometimes they work okay, other times they are really weak. It must be the sludge shifting about in the water bottle. Unfortunately, I think it's a bumper/front-end off job to be able to remove the water bottle and properly clean the crap out.

Prestone concentrated screenwash is the only one I've found that doesn't separate when mixed up. Costs a bit more but it's worth it!

1 will be the pipe trapped between the scuttle and the top of the firewall.

Open the bonnet, take the weather strip off, three push clips, one at either end and one in the middle and the shuttle will pop off. Pipe is on the driver's side. It's not got much slack, just make sure it's fed through the channel on the back of the scuttle, you'll see what I mean when it's off, and refit and test. Shut the bonnet and re-test again. :smt023

Back