• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 New Owner

I will pick up my 2017 Red FK8 from Honda, Ipswich on the 15th Feb. Excited. I went along for a test drive on Saturday and was blown away by it. I’d previously driven two virtually brand new demonstrators and found them good but not stunning. This car, at 6k miles, just seemed to have loosened up beautifully - it pulled hard and the ride was great. Couldn’t resist.

The car has one of those extra tailgate spoilers which I’m not completely sold on. Ipswich quoted me around £200 parts (trim garnish pieces) and an hour’s labour to remove it. I doubt I’d get any more than that for it second hand so I am tempted to leave it on and see if it’s a grower. Any advice welcome as to alternative options.

This replaces a 370bhp Golf R of two years standing. The Honda seems so much more tactile, involving and precise that I doubt I’ll miss the VW that much despite really liking the car. I will miss the sunroof, hill start assist and shove (although the fk8 remaps well I understand) but I reckon that will be all. It’s a manual and up for sale anyway. In the garage I have a TVR Tuscan 2S which I may or may not keep for a while longer. Prices have dropped a little recently but long term should recover. I think the CTR is the only realistic daily I can think of which I’d happily run as an only car if the Tuscan does go. I could never say that about the Golf.

Anyway, I’ll post pics when she’s back here where she belongs. Looking forward to chatting to you chaps.

Welcome Macky! I think I left you a reply on pistonheads saying you will miss the off the line shove from the golf but prob not much else. Get ready for a sh1t load of attention!! Renmure on here has the roof spoiler as well. It's just a bit too much for me but see how you feel.

Is it an ex demo or a 67 plate? Low miles, mine is 26k now.

Thanks mate. I already had a username here for research but thanks for the official invite.

Yes it’s a 67 plate - someone’s weekender I’m guessing. That will change now unfortunately but I only do about 7k a year so mileage will stay lowish. I’ve been grown up and reserved for two years, time to go a little wild. The Honda is far more typical of cars I’ve owned over the years than the golf. I thought, now at 48, that I was ready to be an adult. Glad to say I was wrong :)

The fk2 has it, It knocked my male ego when I found out, I thought I was a hill start god when traffic stopped halfway up a steep hill

Hi Macky,
New owner of 2 weeks here. Originally my budget was for a FK2 because of price and also I thought the FK8 looked too over styled. But after a test drive I was smitten. I have the extra spoiler as well but lets face it, with this car its in for a penny in for a pound :D

Hi Macky,
New owner of 2 weeks here. Originally my budget was for a FK2 because of price and also I thought the FK8 looked too over styled. But after a test drive I was smitten. I have the extra spoiler as well but lets face it, with this car its in for a penny in for a pound :D

You may be right. I’ll give it a few weeks.

Thanks for the welcomes. You guys ever do meets?

Have any fk8s been stolen? I usually avoid cars with keyless entry for that reason. It’s not a common car like a Golf R or Ford so do thieves target them?

Have any fk8s been stolen? I usually avoid cars with keyless entry for that reason. It’s not a common car like a Golf R or Ford so do thieves target them?

Not even joy riding chavs wanna be seen in it!

Na, there just isn't enough fk8s sold for the spare parts market to be lucrative enough for it to be a target like the Golf R or S3, which are knicked then broken down and in bills body shop quicker than you could say all wheel traction.

That said some Scrote might like a go, so take all normal precautions

I'm sure there were a couple of the rarer FK2s nicked when they first came out :) so honda took steps to ensure their next model wouldn't be as appealing to thieves by replacing the nice sloping bonnet of the fk2 with an elephants head on the fk8. And whacking some plastic panels on the rear :p I don't no. Seems to have worked. Not heard of any fk8s getting stolen :lol:

Just picked the car up. What a terrific machine. Doesn’t feel like a hot hatch so much as a very well sorted sports car. So much more involving and exciting than the Golf R (now sold). Surprised how accurate and generally potent it feels. Feeling good about my decision. I elected to remove the tailgate spoiler in the end and I’ve listed it on eBay. Now time to scan the manual - 807 pages of it!

Just picked the car up. What a terrific machine. Doesn’t feel like a hot hatch so much as a very well sorted sports car. So much more involving and exciting than the Golf R (now sold). Surprised how accurate and generally potent it feels. Feeling good about my decision. I elected to remove the tailgate spoiler in the end and I’ve listed it on eBay. Now time to scan the manual - 807 pages of it!

Some dry weather wouldn't go a miss so you can go out and have a proper play.... :twisted: 15 months in and I still have a huge grin on my face when driving mine. :D Hope you're prepared for the attention it will attract... :cool:

Back