• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Modified clutch slave cylinder

I’ve been doing a fair old bit of reading the past couple weeks on the FK8 having suddenly become so obsessed with them I went and ordered a 20 plate to be picked up 1st March.

Obviously the gearshift is a bit of a hot topic with these cars and with the volumes sold in the US there’s a lot of chat going on over there about this too. I’ve noticed a lot are now swearing by a modified oem clutch slave cylinder as being the true solution.

The modification essentially removes the damping from within the unit that slows the movement of fluid. The trade off is a little more vibration through the pedal but a lot seem to swear by the fact that this is the overall issue and the removal of the damper ensures a proper shift.

This I’m sure will sound familiar to some of you in relation to previous type R models where this has been mentioned too. It seems to be widely accepted by many that the damping does increase wear on the gears and synchros.

Just wondered if anyone else had seen this and were considering this modification?

No issues with gear shift at all so no, haven't seen or considered it. I've got a 2019 car. If yours is a face-lift car I believe they made some changes to the gear shift anyway.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

No issues with gear shift at all so no, haven't seen or considered it. I've got a 2019 car. If yours is a face-lift car I believe they made some changes to the gear shift anyway.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Mines still PFL but good to know the later models don't seem to be suffering from this. How many miles are on your car now?

didn't fix or change the feel at all on my FK2.
from what i understand of it, it makes no sense why removing the delay valve would change gear shifts. CDV would have to be faulty by blocking flow or something to stop full disengagement of the clutch.

its more believable that the clutch bleed would fix the issue.

Thanks. Mines still PFL but good to know the later models don't seem to be suffering from this. How many miles are on your car now?

hey were you not tempted to wait for the facelift?

Funnily enough i was reading about the slave cylinder removal last night on Civicx.com. I have had zero issues, but i know people on here have of course

hey were you not tempted to wait for the facelift?

Funnily enough i was reading about the slave cylinder removal last night on Civicx.com. I have had zero issues, but i know people on here have of course

I had a look but the changes seem so subtle. The new one has gone with piping artificial sound into the cabin too which was off putting for me.

The visual changes being better I think are subjective so that just left the 2 piece discs and grille which are both easily changed if you feel the need

And upgraded suspension

Ah that’s right. Suspension tweaks to a car that already defies the laws of physics in the corners according to the reviews! Again I struggled to see the need for this but maybe the purists with more track time than I’ll ever have may say different. It reminds me of the suspension changes they made to the FL DC5. I’d struggle to notice the difference.

There’s one other thing I forgot too. Alcantara steering wheel which judging by the issues people have with the door handles is also best avoided!

There’s also the possibility the price could go up?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back