• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

burning rubber smell

hi sorry if im in wrong section, when giving my fn2 beans around the lanes on my way home I have a strong burning rubber smell coming into the cabin,driven normally = no smell, at first i thought it was a tyre rubbing on something... thats the sort of smell it is.. the reason i thought this is because due to the bad surfaces on the roads the front suspension seems to bob up and down a lot when accelerating hard but inspecting the tyres I found no damage what so ever, the only other thing i have checked is the alternator drive belt which is new but again no damage or rub marks has anybody else had this? the car is on new standard sach shocks and new Tein s tech springs 15 mm at front and 20 mm on rear but as I said it does bob about a bit despite finding no damage to the tyres Im still convinced it has something to do with the tyres rubbing.any input much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he means using the clutch during spirited (vtec) driving. The smell is clutch, the cause was vtec :lol:

ah thanks Hazz..clutch would make sense its done 118000 miles and although I dont have all the history I do have a lot and I cant see any evidence the clutch has been changed.Will be changing the box at the same time as 1st and 2nd whine might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone.thanks

Sounds like clutch buddy. Where abouts is the biting point?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

well here's the thing..after reading many posts on various sites about the low bite point of my clutch pedal and seeing various vids on youtube i thought what a good idea it would be to adjust the pedal (doh) so up under dash, undo locknut turn the thing a whole turn and lo and behold my biting point WAS indeed improved.. now to be honest i can not say 100% that this is when the burning smell started but i cant remember smelling it before.the plan is when time permits to un adjust the pedal biting point to its original position and see.but the damage is probably done now..the clutch does not slip but i also read that it might be buggered and not slip.

Sounds like you may need a new clutch, i had this on mine and a new clutch was needed.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back