• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Difficult to enjoy a Type-R on UK roads...

Was just wondering if anybody else, like me, sometimes feels like it's just too difficult to enjoy their R on the shocking UK roads?!?

There are some appalling surfaces where I live (and I assume it's the same everywhere) and, sometimes, I really feel like I've had enough of being thrown about by potholes, ridges, sunken drains etc.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a moaning thread/topic; I knew what I was getting into and was well prepared to accept the compromise but the crashiness has definitely gotten worse in recent years and harder to tolerate.

Had to start driving a different way to work because the road I normally use looks like it's been hit by an airstrike and I can no longer be doing with weaving about like a drunk to avoid the damaged areas. There are also a few crumbling speed bumps with jagged edges where the sides have fallen away. I have to slow down to a near standstill to creep over them and end up with SUVs and aggressive white vans (who aren't arsed about slowing down as much!) right up my arse.

Again, not a bitching thread (although it did turn into a bit of a rant!), just wondering if there's anybody else who sometimes just can't be arsed with driving from A to B in their Type-R. Sometimes I feel like binning it off and going for a BMW E60 5-Series (a car I've always wanted) but then I'll change my mind again once I get back into the FN2 and find a nice stretch of tarmac.

Lord knows what it's like for you lads with the 20" wheels!

i suppose im quite lucky, my daily commute is a short dual carriageway, and my fun roads are really nice and smooth which does make me appreciate what im driving :)

Don't have it as bad as you but agree it is so much better when the roads are decent.

I agree with the OP comments.

It seems that most of the UK roads are in a dreadful condition.

I find that when I am out in my FK8, I spent a lot of time looking for potholes and trying to avoid them, much more than I ever did, say five years ago.

Road maintenance is an easy cost savings for local councils to make, but I feel that we have now reached a tipping point with roads needing major repairs rather than minor pothole repairs.

Limousine-like progress compared to the FN2 :D

Even the FK2 has softer suspension :lol:

This is surprising news. So the suspension is that much better that even the bigger wheel size doesn't make the ride worse?

I wrongly assumed that they would have made the suspension more and more hardcore with each new CTR.

I'm lucky where I live the roads are generally quite quiet and arguably some of the best, so even in summer when busy, they go quiet early morning and evening. Down south it is pretty poor both in terms of quality of roads and traffic.

The roads are ***** around here, there's a lane I go down and it's like driving in a ditch. To add to that there's a lot of roads, even the A roads could do with white lining again. Shocking.

The lane I mentioned had a fresh pot hole and they'd shoved a traffic cone in it, the whole base of it was submerged in the hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm lucky where I live the roads are generally quite quiet and arguably some of the best, so even in summer when busy, they go quiet early morning and evening. Down south it is pretty poor both in terms of quality of roads and traffic.

Agreed. I like the road from Keswick to Cumbria via Bothel, also the road to Allonby via Aspatria. The Borrowdale road out of Keswick heading to Buttermere via the Honister pass, one of my favourite all time drives.

The lane I mentioned had a fresh pot hole and they'd shoved a traffic cone in it, the whole base of it was submerged in the hole.

There's one like that near me. Full of water and was difficult to see (before the cone got partially sunk in it!). I was told that somebody hit it earlier this week and caused thousands of pounds worth of damage to their Audi.

It's a tight lane where you have to squeeze into cut-ins to let people past in the other direction and the biggest of the potholes are IN the cut-ins...what are you supposed to do?!? Apparently the person who wrecked their Audi has been taking photos/measurements to put a claim in and the hole is more like a trench underneath the water as it was 9 foot long!

Here in Wales is the same, roads are terrible it's a shame because there are some great driving roads here.

My mate just twisted a wishbone on his EP3, the hole knocked his wheel out loads so on his way to re align it the wishbone snapped.

Absolutely shocking.

It's for the best lol.

Mine is semi retired just use it now and again, on the weekends etc when I fancy a blast.

Mostly rocking up in the jazz now, aka the blue bomber lol.

Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk

Here in Wales is the same, roads are terrible it's a shame because there are some great driving roads here.

My mate just twisted a wishbone on his EP3, the hole knocked his wheel out loads so on his way to re align it the wishbone snapped.

Absolutely shocking.

But then you do have free prescriptions and probably other benefits we English don't.
Can't have everything.

The roads in Lincolnshire are shocking too!! On my daily drive to work on B roads I have a memory of around 50 potholes to avoid every journey, when you report them, nothing gets fixed! It’s ridiculous. What happens to all the road tax we pay!!! Certainly doesn’t go on road repairs.

This is surprising news. So the suspension is that much better that even the bigger wheel size doesn't make the ride worse?

:smt045

I guess it's the whole chassis & length of wheelbase etc that makes a real difference & not just the dampers/springs or wheel size :D

Currently in Bulgaria & if you think you've got it bad in the UK,with regards to potholes,then think again :lol:

When we are all driving zero VED electric cars there won't be any money collected for road repairs (not that that's where it goes anyway).
Perhaps the Government is just trying to get us used to that awful day?

When we are all driving zero VED electric cars there won't be any money collected for road repairs (not that that's where it goes anyway).
Perhaps the Government is just trying to get us used to that awful day?

We will be taxed in a different way. There's no way the government will lose out on all that road tax and fuel duty.

It's like if everybody ACTUALLY stopped smoking - a new tax would just emerge from elsewhere. They don't actually want you to stop and they know people won't so they just do enough to make it look like they are being responsible with mandatory warnings, blank packaging etc.

As for the future, we won't be able to have autonomous vehicles if the roads are so battered and have no markings for the cars to "read"

Road repairs are paid for by everyone via income tax, council tax, VAT and all the other taxes, so not directly funded by VED.

Back