• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 K20Z4 Blown Rod Bearings - Time for an Engine Swap

Hello there guys and girls,

This is my first post here, I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable lot can help me out with my predicament.

Last week I took my fn2 Type R for a trackday at Silverstone - unfortunately this was cut short after an hours running due to cylinder 1 rod bearing deciding it was no longer good for this world. I am led to beleive this is due to the lack of a baffled sump & balance shaft pump fitted as standard. (pics of the damage below)

In order to prevent this happening again - the first plan is to fit a baffle and balance delete.

I have sourced a new engine - in a complete car, that has got no third gear and plan to remove the engine for this to directly transplant into my original car.

I then plan to use my old head to do a k24 frankenstein and aim for 300bhp NA.

I plan to do the engine swap this weekend as i need to get myself back on the road ASAP, however this will all be done on my driveway infront of my garage.

Does anyone have any tips for removing/fitting a K20Z4 engine in an FN2 ? Is it best to remove from above or below ? the same question for re-fitting ?

20200226_212341.jpg20200226_201521.jpgIMG-20200226-WA0014 (2).jpeg

Thanks in Advance

Andy C

Unless you have a lift on your driveway the only option is to lift the engine out of the car.

Lots of bags, lots of labelling. It's all in the prep.

Also. If like me and you've just fitted an engine with practically unknown history (yes, it was running, but how long ago? How was it stored? How much care was taken removing? etc) then I would highly recommend you change some of the basics whilst the engine is out.

Crank seal
Timing chain
Tensioner
Water pump
Any other gaskets that may leak (I did a B series so dizzy seal, cam seal, oil pump seal, sump gasket, rocker gasket).

Otherwise you could be in a situation like me where it's 10x harder to do with the engine fitted after you've discovered a colossal oil leak 30 miles into driving with your new motor.

I don't have a lift on my driveway - but i do have some pretty tall trolley jacks and a furniture dolly.

I was hoping that I can drop it out the bottom onto the dolly and then lift the car to clear the engine and pull out via a wheel well. Failing this then out the top it will come - but i have no tilter so maybe a little more awkward.

Yeah the engine is pretty unknown to me - it's been parked on a drive for 2 years with a blown gearbox. It was running as i drove it home - it's down to me to remove it gently and assess the seals at that point...

I plan to do a balance shaft delete, baffled sump and new clutch whilst it's out.. chain and tensioner should be okay- and if needing a change i will bite the bullet at the time as my finances are getting thin right now...

Back