• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 New head unit - suddenly no power to harness

Hi all,

Been using these forums for years, and I’m back after some time - such a great resource.

I have a question. I bought a new Kenwood DDX9019DABs headunit as I wanted to have wireless CarPlay. I’d installed head units in previous Honda’s so I more or less knew what to do.

Everything was going fine, and I connected most things except the DABS aerial. I then plumbed the cables down behind the opening and under the centre console path, Bluetooth mic to drivers side footwell etc. It got dark so I left it for today to continue.

When I went to test it today, the head unit didn’t turn on. I checked connections and no luck. Checked continuity on the cables and all fine, except no power at the main wiring harness. Weird I thought, so I looked at the fuses and a chart I had to find under dash fuse 37 was blown (7.5A, it’s for MICU) and this eventually leads to the positive power wire on the Honda audio wiring harness. I replaced it, tested and fuse stayed good, but the head unit still not working. Again, no power at the main Honda audio wiring harness.

How could this be if the fuse is good? I don’t understand what else could be stopping power coming to it. I even took the original/stock head unit and connected it back, but it doesn’t work (proving no power at the harness). The only other two fuses are the No 2 50A under hood one and No 16 15A one, and the 50A goes to many more places also.

Any advice and thoughts welcome!

Thanks
Andrew

PS see part of the circuit diagram showing the purple wire which is the positive on the audio wiring harness.

a49c9313acdb16119b48513a14329024.jpg

Sorry I can't help, but I would like to know where you found the wiring diagram, it would really help me out with a problem I'm having at the moment? Sorry for the hijack.

are you checking it with ignition on or off? are you checking the switched side or the permanently live wire?

did you have the head unit working the night before?

does the head unit have its own fuse?

also you mention fuse 37 being blown but on the diagram the switched ignition to the audio setup is listed as fuse 35

have you checked the relay?

only other thing i can suggest is looking at the plugs themselves to make sure one of the power pins hasn't backed out of the connector when you plugged the new adapator harness into it, that would also explain why your old headunit didn't work when you tried plugging that back in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back