• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 No more cold start idle?

Surprised if this hasn’t already been mentioned but couldn’t find another thread about this.

Having previously owned an FN2 and DC5 a distinguishing feature of the K20 was always the cold start revs at circa 1500rpm and the super sensitive throttle during this warm up procedure.

Those first 5 to 10 minutes of a winter morning I never found to be particularly pleasant but you were always rewarded thereafter once warmed through.

I was surprised with the K20c1 to find that this is no longer the case. (Pleasantly I might add!)

Any reasons that are known as to why this has gone away? Is it emissions related? Not sure if it’s my imagination but I’d say the K20c1 takes longer to warm up even when driving straight from start up. Not sure if this is as a direct result of the lack of fast idle on cold starts?

maybe as this engine was designed after the invention of the internet things have moved on? :lol:

Does take a while to warm up though must admit

How does it perform @1500 when its warm - would you want the turbo spinning constantly at those revs until it settled down?

That’s a fair point but nothing the ecu couldn’t accommodate for I shouldn’t think? Boost by gear for example.

I always thought there was a need for the car to rev higher on start up, richer mix (what the choke on a carb car used to do)

Older engines would need those higher revs so as not to stall until warmed through and able to operate at lower rpms reliably.

I’m more interested to know how they’ve overcome that fundamental need of a combustion engine. Perhaps modern Ecu’s can make much quicker micro adjustments to enable the car to idle reliably from cold at lower rpm?

Back