• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Oil catch can

Intrigued to see who’s running one of these.

Did a bit of reading and found that while they don’t 100% prevent build up of deposits on the valves they certainly help to reduce it.

I’m thinking about one because any layer of prevention seems like a good idea to me but not sure what options are available to RHD cars are?

Mishimoto get a good review but I think these may only fit LHD models. I’ve also read that some catch cans have much better filtration than others.

What’s the consensus here?

Oil catch cans are really only of any value on boosted cars IMO. They relieve some of the pressure on the heads and as a by product catch the excess oils blown out.
My Skyline had a Mishi one that was for LHD. It’s just a matter of adapting the mounts.
Even on the highest boost map and with a day of drifting, it only ever spat out small amounts from the head.
Personally I’d put your money into something more worth while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main reason for asking with the FK8 is while being boosted it’s also DI.

A bit of research into this makes it apparent that because the fuel is injected directly from the cylinder wall the cleaning effects from fuel past the valves is nonexistent.

So whereas in all previous gen K20’s the fuel/air mixture cleaned the valves on its way to the cylinder, this no longer happens.

With the oil vapours being recirculated this results in inevitable build up on the valves. As a limiting measure it seems an oil catch was worth thinking about.

As said, this doesn’t 100% fix the issue as it’s just the disadvantage of a DI design but it will go some way in delaying/reducing this build up

worth it imo. i went for the misimoto compact baffled can and after 6 weeks (iirc): https://i.imgur.com/PCf65dk.jpg. better than some of it sticking to the back of the valves.

i do need to re-secure mine at some point as the supplied screws have weaken and become loose so i'll also check how much its collected over winter too

Do you have link to where you got this kit? Is there any clearance issues on a RHD?

Worth giving Mishimoto feedback if the screws aren’t up to the job too as I’ve heard their aftersales support is excellent

Sorry David wasn’t aware you had a newer turbo’d Civic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sorry to dig up an old thread but how did it go with the oil catch can?
i've been looking into getting the JLT catch can myself, the american owners seem to like them. heres a link:
click me

Anyone else have any feedback, opinions or experience with this?

I was going to get the Mishimoto but I wasn’t sure if it will fit on our RHD cars or not?

It looks like it’s a worthwhile addition with DIT cars.

Mishimoto will do the job but won't fit RHD the bracket they supply is for LHD. You'll have an issue locating it using their bracket.
I'm thinking of getting a universal one and making my own bracket to fit. There's a hanger central behind the engine cover that looks like a good spot. I'll let you know how I get on

Mishimoto will do the job but won't fit RHD the bracket they supply is for LHD. You'll have an issue locating it using their bracket.
I'm thinking of getting a universal one and making my own bracket to fit. There's a hanger central behind the engine cover that looks like a good spot. I'll let you know how I get on ��

I'd be very interested to know how you get on so please keep us updated, are you planning to use a particular universal can?

Well so far I've got the can, it's a universal one from Amazon. It's black coated aluminum and has the 10mm openings to match our piping. (Even has a small dip stick to check the contents it's captured which I thought would come in handy). However the central fuel rail bracket I was going to use, doesn't leave much room when it comes to emptying the thing. I've made a small bracket and I'm going to locate it closer towards the battery area as there is more room there.
All I'm waiting on now is some piping that I've ordered to get here, so I can fit it all together.
I'll take some photos when done and update here

Well I've got the catch can in and all seems to be working well. Not to bad of an install, a little fidley but easy doable by most. However I did notice the original pipe was completely bone dry, even had a small amount of white powder you sometimes get on new rubber? So I guess time will tell if it's been a worthwhile investment.
I'll post some pics up later as I'm on my phone at the mo

I’ve been waiting to see if a kit comes up for RHD as my only worry with universal stuff is the what the quality of the baffles are like. I know it’s probably just marketing but mishimoto mention this fact in their advertising (probably to justify the price) so I’d kind of hoped a kit would appear for RHD. I think some have bought th LHD kit and used a different bracket but I’ll have another look at what’s about.
Either way, having something as a catch can is bound to be better than no catch can!!

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 20455
as an afterthought i may cut the bracket down a little more and paint it black

Other than the can did you need to purchase other parts other than the pipework? Where did you get this from? Did you reuse or remove any components?

I’m considering doing a universal can & DIY fitting, just wondering what else I would need.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously easy to do, don't sweat it
You Can't reuse any of the original tubing as it's too short and I Only needed tubing because the one that came with the can was short and clear, which I don't like. You Just need 10mm tubing of your choice, I personally bought 3meters from eBay (UK seller) but could easy do it with 2meters.
The bracket was just a spare L shape one I had spare in the shed but you can buy these from screwfix etc...

Not drove the car much but so far it's dry in there

Back